Torn between Zumo 550 & Nuvi 660

(Rhythm @ Feb. 04 2007,12:38)
(heavybusa @ Feb. 04 2007,12:17) This thread needs more pics!!
You aint never lied !  
laugh.gif
Just toooo much "gardening"
wink.gif

I like that you could listen to the navigation directions and cell
phone of your car sterio.

I have the Zumo mounted on the clutch bracket. I will tell you that it had to be positioned just right to clear my windscreen when turning the bars all the way to the right. It does have some sort of special screww that if turned all the way down, prevents the unit from being removed from the mount. It does give you your top speed on one of the screens and shows your immediate spped as you are traveling. Mounting it on the bike from start to finish including wiring took less than 20 minutes. The beauty of being able to talk on the phone through it is the bluetooth technology. Caller ID on the screen so you can decide to take the call or not all while traveling at highway speeds. It will support voice dilaing if your cell phone has that feature as well. One of these days these units will replace the Chatterboxes! As technology improves...

Shanling that's awesome, I already made up my mind to get the Zumo. it is rugged and vibration tested. the Nuvi fails both here. The zumo has a built in battery allowing for 3 hours of use when not powered by the bike.
smile.gif

can you post a pic of it mounted to your bike?

I have the Nuvi 360 and I love it. BUT not water proof, not really recommended on the bike. But it's really accurate, fast, and completely intuitive.

It's also a Bluetooth phone device, an MP3 player, translator, currency converter, and photo viewer.

It's excellent for traveling on the plane or in the car, and I think Garmins focus is more the Urban traveler/tourist.

I do love the size and the sexy Australian chic voice walking me through to my destination.

Hey guys, I was thinking about replacing my left side view mirror with this unit so I can use with left hand. Could be a way to put the stand where mirror stand once was. I do head checks, ride mostly in left lane.

Also as of right now while I think about it, the left mirror has been 50percent non functional to me as it is bent from accident so I mostly only use right mirror anyway. But that way I keep my eyes above instead of down at the unit for safety reasons
smile.gif

My problem is my USB ports on my computer are shot or I would have a picture on this post. I can't download anything onto the laptop right now. I have to take it back to IBM as it is still covered.

It will come with two mounting systems. One for the handlebars and the other for the clutch bracket. There is no way you can use the handle bar one on a busa that I could see. Plus putting it on the clutch bracket insures that you are going to operate it with your left hand.

By the way, I have been meaning to ask. Is that your undertail on your posts? If so, what kind is it and where did you get it? Also, are the lights very bright? I am looking to replace mine.

Nah, If you are looking for a GPS for your Bike, the Nuvis are not really an option. They rock though.

I am ordering the Zumo this week
smile.gif
Thanks Rev, yeah I got in my head that the Motorcycle design GPS will obviously be the best bet, especially for durability, as all the reviews said the Nuvi felt not sturdy and that 1 sure drop will surely break the device.

The lights I am getting are to be brighter than the ones you see in my pic, and those are BRIGHT!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-RE...157-2057_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQih
Z015QQitemZ250081256475QQrdZ1

Undertail can be found at Dynamicbikes.com talk to Tony, tell him Hayaboosta03/hybridcrxcrx sent ya!

I used the clutch perch mount on my Busa, like Shanling said, the position is kinda fixed for clearance. I think I may go to a stem stand or something like that, so the GPS is more centered, and farther away from me. I have to look down to see it, as it is now.

Well I just ordered the ZUMO. Hey Buellbomb can you take a pic with a camera phone or something if you have one? I think I have an idea where you guys put it. Where the 2 bolts meet with bars to fix the clutch lever position?

How much? I got the nuvi 660 for my car but am thinking about getting the zumo for the bike.

I have owned the Nuvi 360, Nuvi 660, and currently have the Zumo 550. The only things I have found I dislike about the Zumo when compared to the others is:

1. Nuvi 660 has a built in FM modulator. Awesome when using in a car. Zumo/Nuvi 360 don't.
2. The safety screw on the Zumo is a joke. They can just undo the ball mount and be off.
3. All the Nuvi models allowed you to check the satellite status as well as gave elevation, Zumo doesn't.
4. Personally I don't much care for the included mount. I will get a stem mount for mine in the future.

Essentially the Zumo is a smaller, more rugged, motorcycle inspired version of the Nuvi 660, minus the FM modulation..... I thoroughly enjoy my Zumo.

-Kimball

Yes all very good info here, but in the end it makes sense which one to get it you ride Often like I do. Every single day. I rather not have a Nuvi 660 out in the elements its not designed for. Its not rugged. Zumo is designed with fuel resistance plastics and is rugged.

GPSCITY.COM and search for RAM mount or any other mount and they have them all. IM sure there are security mounts? or some kind of fastener should be around.  I found this on there

This is what I think is shipped with ZUMO
ramb309-1.jpg

ramb309connect.jpg

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ra....9-1.htm

For more info on RAM mounts for Zumo Go Here. Click on Description to see whats included with the Zumo. Click on Alternative Mounting, then on RAM-B-342 for the fork stem mount.

For more on the Zumo 550 Go Here. They also make a 450 & 500 model, no Bluetooth & XM capability on the 450 and no XM on the 500. From the web page you can download the 550 manual, get more info on all 3 models and go to a Zumo minisite.

An alternative to the Zumo is the TomTom Rider.

-Ed

Hey reddwarf thanks for the info there. I bookmarked that website as I may need it.

My question is, I might buy some Soupy's Risers to lower the front (and bones for the rear) but with the clutch mount for the Zumo, will a Double Bubble Screen plus Risers and Zumo be a good combo? Allowing clearance for GPS?

Back