what kind oil is every body using ?

OB_BUSA1

Registered
been using belray exp, bike well broken in thinking about trying the new mobil one motorcycle oil. i heard once run full synthetic not good go back to reg oil. any truth to that . what kind of oil is everbody using . thanks,mark

Mobil 1 10W-40 synthetic for motorcycles. Ran Suzuki oil for break-in. Also running the Mobil 1 V-twin stuff in my XR650L dualsport. I noticed that the dualsport started shifting much smoother after the Mobil 1. Busa was already shifting smooth so Mobil made no difference I could tell.

I'm running Mobil 1 20-50 in mine. Also run it in my Bandit 400 and Bandit 600 with no problems (and smoother shifting).

Used Silkolene Pro 4 for over 60,000 miles. Switched to Mobil 1 MX4T. Racers and mechanics are saying it is the best currently available. There was a post that linked to an "oil test for bikes" and basic Mobil 1 outperformed all the "bike specific" oils. I always said that if there was a Mobil 1 for bikes, I'd buy it. Now, there is and I do! Check here for where you can get it, www.exxon.mobil.com.

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 23 February 2000).]

I used Bel-Ray in one of my other bikes and noticed that after I ran the engine some and looked in the oil level window the oil was foamy. Has anyone else noticed this?

sounds lke mobil one do my busa fine , since drive less 4 blocks pick some up at auto palace . get belray local but dealer only stocks base oil no full synetic.
motol i her is very good but dealer is 12 miles away. thanks to everybody mark

I'm surprised at the amount of people running oil blended for cars in their bikes - I always thought (and was told by a guy in the labs when I worked for Texaco) that the additives in car oil can ruin a wet clutch, and the slightly higher viscosity's waste power.

Also the gearbox of a bike breaks the oil down quicker by chopping off the "tails" of the molecules that are designed to cling the oil to the friction surfaces.

I assumed bike oils are blended to address all of those problems, ie be kind to the clutch, resist shearing loads and be freer flowing.

[This message has been edited by DangerMouse (edited 24 February 2000).]

All I can and will say at this point is to stay tuned to Motorcycle Consumer news Magazine later this summer for THE most comprehensive article EVER written about motor oils for motorcycles. Co-written by ME. Most of these links people send you to on the new have ZERO test data. It may as well be a commercial by the oil company.

All this stuff about I tried XYZ super oil 2000 and it ran great, mean nothing. We have no way of objectively evaluating the oils we use unless the engine blows up. when is the last time you ever measured viscosity retention or TBN of your used oil before you said you really liked it?

Stay tuned it is coming I promise !!

Don
RoadDog

yes bel-ray does foam little, used bel-ray im many of my bikes seems to foam after while. nothing to worry about they been around over 50 years now. take that too the bank.

There has been scientific studies done that have proved full synthetic oils are the best. Oil companies have tried to come up with oils that were specially formulated for motorcycles. Things like, because of the engine and trans sharing the same oil you need a blended oil because of the sheering of molecules.(Not true) Full synthetic AUTOMOTIVE oil has been proven to have the lowest percentage of breakdown in motorcycles. Don't waste your money on expensive special oils. Also don't waste your money by changing your oil more frequently than the manufacture's recommendations. Synthetic oil takes more than 10K miles to breakdown enough where it is problem, the reason it needs to be changed sooner is contaminants.

Koz

Bill, I agree with you. However, I have one concern: I would like to keep using the recommended viscosity of 10W40, but NOBODY makes fully synthetic oil for auto in that viscosity. Bike specific oils obviously do. Higher viscosity (like mobil1 15W50) are going to be too hard on the oil pump, and less (like 10W30) also think is not a good idea either. I probably will use the mobil1 for bikes if I don't find one for cars. Any info?

Back