what kind oil is every body using ?

Valklex - What viscosity do you need? 5 or 10 on the index is not going to make a difference. Just use the higher viscosity in the summer or hot weather. The flow rate for synthetic base oil is much greater then petroleum based oil. Temperature has little effect on synthetic flow rate. The wider the viscosity range the more additives. The one thing to remember about additives is that they can cause problems. When some additives are burned and mixed with hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide (become high corrosive acids) and circulated throughout your engine. I believe the least amount of additives the better.

Koz

Sorry,anyway I had a friend that sweared by Golden Spectro Syn 20W 50,and used it in his 96VFR,well after about 26000 miles I noticed on cold days that it would smoke,and on real cold days in the mountains it wouldn't even start,while my 96GSXR would start right up with 10W40 Torco Syn Oil,so it is important to use the right viscosity in motorcycles,because of the tight tolerances.I run Torco in my 99 power stroke diesel,and race bike,race car,and everything else that has a motor with no problems.An opinion on oil is like a butt.Everybody has one.

valklex, take mobil 1 5w30 and 15w50 and blend them 50/50, you'll then have 10w40.

[This message has been edited by redliner (edited 27 February 2000).]

Bill the break down you are talking about was only doen on VISCOSITY and this was the MCN article a few years ago I assume you are talking about. This happens in Mobil One because of the base stock oil they use requires NO VI viscosity improvers which most conventional oils do use. Hence as they degrade they drop in vis. Since then however the level of Phosphorous and Zinc perhaps the most important additives in oils have been lowered by the EPA. Meaning the oil mobil one had about 1500ppm the new SJ has only 980 as reported by the BMW web site. That is a HUGE drop. The motorcycle oils such as Belray, Golden spectro, Motul etc etc can use the same quality base stock oil to get the good vis retention AND use the higher levels of the anti wear additives such as zinc.

Its jut not as easy as it used to be !!
Don
RoadDog

Mobil 1 10-40 Motorcycle full
synthetic, realy made it shift
smoother, waited to 2000 miles
though.

redliner is right you can mixed wt to lower the numbers, on mobile one car oil heard the ratings are lower sh/sj were the mc oil has the sg rating thats recommeded in manual. which means mc oil has little more friction with th lower rating. read report once it said that car oils were getting to good for bikes as quess you need little friction for the clutch . who knows maybe it just the labels on the oil ????? heard there trying to make cars so fuel saving that there cuting back to much on friction. i know a lot guys that run car oil,but if i can afford a 10000 bike don t mine paying 1000 extra for the oil 10.00

Question for Don

1) Is it ok to mix viscosities to
get a lighter weight oil(ex. 10-40 with
20w-50)?
2) From the test's youv'e done on
motor oil's which petroleum based do you
recommend for use on bikes for break in
and what weight?
3) Same as above but which
synthetic base, what weight would you
recommend? Either bike or auto whichever
has best results.
4)Done any test's on Royal Purple,how a bout Synergyn, heard of it?
thanks, your reply would be greatly appreciated. Jorge

I bought AMZOIL full synth motorcycle/RV oil as my first synth oil after 10,000 miles of petrol oil.

I had little choice but to buy that brand for a variety of reasons I won't bore you with.

I was worried because the AMZOIL 10/40 cost half of Motul or Agip or ANY other full synth.

Have I committed suicide here by buying the cheap brand?

The bike's running great...faster and quieter (engine noise-wise) than ever. Noticeably nicer gearbox action too.

Yes it is ok to mix viscosity. However if you are using car oils remember 10w-30 oils labeled as EC COULD have less zinc and other important additives than the 15w-50 or 20/50 non ec versions.

Also remember thinner oils will be pumper at a higher rate by the oil pump but are thinner as opposed to lower volume of thicker oils like 20/50.

I have not completed the tests yet but for break in I would and did use oils such as Bel Ray Golden spectro etc in 10w40 in my hayabusa.

As far as the synthetic versions go I like many of them. I will have more data in a few weeks once I complete a few more tests.So stay tuned. The only one I really dislike are the PAO base stock synthetics like Castrol Syntec car oil.

I am familiar with royal purple and also like it. In particular their Race 41 oil. Which is roughly a 10w40. I do not have any of it for the tests however. If you get any I would love to have a quart for testing so if you get any let me know.

Don
roadDog

For those of you that subscribe to Motorcycle consumer news notice in Lee Parks goodbye letter at the front he mentions the upcoming oil test. This is the one that I am working on. For those of you that dont subscribe join up this is going to be the best article ever done on oils. The bikes were ran this weekend in Arizona and the used oil tests will begin soon. The new oil testing is complete on 25 different oils.

JeffW I noticed you used Motul 3100 it has just been discontinued and replaced with 5100.

Stay tuned for more info

Don
roaddog
Rotts4u@aol.com

Thanks Don..... I also have 5 gal of Motul 300V (racing) 5w30 oil. We this oil for qualifying, but change for the race......

I still have some 3100 around, but will see what the difference is between the 3100 and the new 5100.

Back