What would be a good first bike?

<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:trebuchet ms'></span>
Ok, I kno I'm only sixteen but what would be a good first bike for me in like the next two or three years. I was looking at the GSXR 600 or 750, but I'm not sure if that would be a good first time bike or if I should go with something a little less powerful. Any suggestions?

First let me say welcome to the asylum brother.

Next, a GSXR 600 is a great first bike, has plenty of power yet allows for a rider to accomodate before a mistake can be tragic. The GSXR 750 is less forgiving but most likely what I would have started on if I was to choose between the two. The 750 will give more power and keep you happier for a longer period. It will also be more responsive and sturdier on the highway when encountering semis.

If you have never riden a bike, you might want to consider buying a motorcross bike or even an enduro. Less power, more forgiving, and if you can ride dirt you can ride the street. Good luck brother, hope this helps you out...
cool.gif

Welcome!

Get something small and expendable and ride it early on Sunday mornings (most of the street haunting idiots are sleeping it off then).

Oh, and just like a firearm, always remember that it would just as soon kill you as it would sit there and do nothing
wink.gif

Start with a bike without fairings. SV-650 comes to mind...

Get a 2008 Hayabusa when the time comes ;)

Next, a GSXR 600 is a great first bike, has plenty of power yet allows for a rider to accomodate before a mistake can be tragic. The GSXR 750 is less forgiving but most likely what I would have started on if I was to choose between the two. The 750 will give more power and keep you happier for a longer period. It will also be more responsive and sturdier on the highway when encountering semis.

If you have never riden a bike, you might want to consider buying a motorcross bike or even an enduro. Less power, more forgiving, and if you can ride dirt you can ride the street. Good luck brother, hope this helps you out...
cool.gif
<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:trebuchet ms'></span>
Glad to be here!

What do you mean by it will keep me happier for a longer period of time? And I'll take your advice about riding a dirtbike fisrt, luckily my grandfather has a couple in his barn he doesn't use too often.

As embarrasing as it is i used to ride a moped...does that account for anything along with riding a sportbike?

Thanks for the info and suggestions! Be safe!

Something you can pay for cash cause insurance is gonna be a mean hungry bear. And Ride Safe.
I will/would definitely ride safe! I wouldn't even get a bike till I had protective gear first! Cause after I get one I doubt I'd have the money at the time for good protective gear! I rather look bad in protective gear than good without it cause the consequences are worse without it!

the 600 s and 750s i feel are not verry good starter bikes ! they are fast as hell ! and light in the front , if you had ridden all your life and it was a first street bike maybe , but dam a first bike ?
rock.gif
they will not do 180 mph , but they will get to 100 mph realy fast ! and thats enough to kill ya !

Next, a GSXR 600 is a great first bike, has plenty of power yet allows for a rider to accomodate before a mistake can be tragic.  The GSXR 750 is less forgiving but most likely what I would have started on if I was to choose between the two.  The 750 will give more power and keep you happier for a longer period.  It will also be more responsive and sturdier on the highway when encountering semis.  

If you have never riden a bike, you might want to consider buying a motorcross bike or even an enduro.  Less power, more forgiving, and if you can ride dirt you can ride the street.  Good luck brother, hope this helps you out...
cool.gif
Glad to be here!

What do you mean by it will keep me happier for a longer period of time? And I'll take your advice about riding a dirtbike fisrt, luckily my grandfather has a couple in his barn he doesn't use too often.

As embarrasing as it is i used to ride a moped...does that account for anything along with riding a sportbike?

Believe me, nothing is embarrasing around here, you'll never meet a better bunch of people than on the org. Hell, I rode a Spree, Elite 80, and an Elite 150 back in the day but they won't help you with sportsbike riding.

If you get a 600, it will be great for the first year, then it won't be enough and you'll want a faster bike. The 750 will last you for two years which is good enough for you to decide on what you want next, I am assuming a GSXR 1000 or a Busa depending on what you prefer.

Ride those dirtbikes and try and find a reasonable priced used 750 to ride for a couple of years. That will keep you temporarily happy, safe while learning, not broke buying multiple bikes, and prepared for the Busa...

cool.gif
Glad to be here!

Believe me, nothing is embarrasing around here, you'll never meet a better bunch of people than on the org. Hell, I rode a Spree, Elite 80, and an Elite 150 back in the day but they won't help you with sportsbike riding.

If you get a 600, it will be great for the first year, then it won't be enough and you'll want a faster bike. The 750 will last you for two years which is good enough for you to decide on what you want next, I am assuming a GSXR 1000 or a Busa depending on what you prefer.

Ride those dirtbikes and try and find a reasonable priced used 750 to ride for a couple of years. That will keep you temporarily happy, safe while learning, not broke buying multiple bikes, and prepared for the Busa...
You've got a point, most of the things people say on here are helpful, not like they're trying to downgrade you or something.

The 750 sounds good! I'll do the dirtbikes for awhile till i get the hang of shifting and controling the bike. Then maybe for a graduation present I can get the GSXR 750!! But yea I'll probably end on a busa for my last sportbike...not now tho, no way could I handle that or anything close to that, maybe in like 6 or 7 years hopefully
cool.gif
!!

cool.gif

Just FYI.
Crotchrockets is an unacceptable term here.
We ride Land Missles.

Welcome to the board. Thanks for approaching this with caution and common sense! Make sure you post up and let usknow how things are going. I do recommend that you try to attend a Motorcycle Safetly Foundation (MSF) course. Usually they are inexpensive ($100 or less in most cases) and you will ride thier bike (always a plus). The courses are designed for people who have never ridden before, so they will help you develop the tools to be a good rider!

Make sure you take the local MSF class before you buy anything....

Then get a 10+ year old beater and abuse it first, then after 2+ years of that, take the MSF advanced course, then get the bike you can afford.

the 600 s and 750s  i feel are not verry good starter bikes !   they are fast as hell ! and light in the front , if you had ridden all your life and it was a first street bike maybe , but dam a first bike ?
rock.gif
 they will not do 180 mph  , but they will get to 100 mph realy fast !  and thats enough to kill ya !
+1  
idea.gif

Take the MSF.  Most have Ninja 250's available in them, so you can see if this might be a bike you could get along with.

And don't believe anyone that tells you a 250 is not enough bike...  Granted, it doesn't have ANY low-end torque, but it has a satisfying top-end rush.  It's also a cheap way to learn how to do your own maintenance.

And, it's faster than your dad's Busa in the twisties, once you learn how it likes to be handled.  
wink.gif

And johnstein, I don't have any experience to this end, but won't most of the new 600's get going at 170+? I can't imagine the 750 being far behind, as it has roughly the same redline as the 600.

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149857956 -->

go buy a cheap cruiser, for starting out a big fat cruiser with an engine guard saddlebags, and windsheild will teach you how to watch the road and wont go too fast to get you in serious trouble. It will also help tons with balance. Just my opinion, I started in the dirt and my first street bike was a vulcan 1500, then GSXR600. The 600 class bike are still very fast and can get you in trouble very easy.

I would have to suggest a SV650, EX500, EX250 something along those lines. Take the MSF course, get some gear and enjoy this great sport.

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you who have given me suggestions on starting out on this soon to be amazing adventure with sportbikes! I appreciate all the encouragement and how you guys really seem to care about the person more than thier bike, and how you guys always care about safety first. It's very encouraging and in a way it makes me want to wear safety gear even more as to not let you guys down! I don't want to have the ability to put up pics of me on here with road rash or any worse injuries in the future! I will definately take some Motorcycle Safety courses and other courses available in my area to help me with learning better procedure and safety when riding these amazing but deadly machines. I will always keep in mind that these bikes are dangerous and that they are not to be underestimated! Lastly I will definitly keep you guys updated about my progress in riding sportbikes and let you know when I get a sportbike of my very own that i can ride and not just admire like my dad's! Thank you all again! Tyler (TeenWantsABusa89)

<!--EDIT|TeenWantsABusa89
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149864079 -->

Seems like you've got your mind in the right place to begin learning to ride Tyler
smile.gif

So, just wanted to say welcome and we're glad to have you here...tons of great info and support here when you need it
cool.gif

"in States" , If a person who got his/her licence new , can ride a busa instantly ?

Back