What would be a good first bike?

"in States" , If a person who got his/her licence new , can ride a busa instantly ?
It's my understanding that if you're licensed to ride a motorcycle, you can, even if you're just 16...

If that varies from state to state here in the US, I don't know about it...

"in States" , If a person who got his/her licence new , can ride a busa instantly ?
<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:trebuchet ms'></span>
All you need is your riders permit, that's all my dad has for now, till he finishes his test and he rides a busa! What are the regulations where your from?

as was mention do the MSF course You'll be happy you did

sv 650 would be good and just work your way up to more powerful bikes, be sure and check ins rates b4 you purchase anything being so young that could be a determining factor of what size bike you get.

as was mention do the MSF course You'll be happy you did

sv 650 would be good and just work your way up to more powerful bikes, be sure and check ins rates b4 you purchase anything being so young that could be a determining factor of what size bike you get.
Yea, I'll definatly check insurance first! That could be what determines what kinda bike I can afford!

When you say size do you mean physically or like ccs

In europe and lots of countries on the other side of the pond you start on small bikes and earn your way up to the bigger bikes with either age, miles, or something. In the good ol' US of A, if you can get it, you can ride it... Even if you do not have a clue.

Take me for example, my very first bike was the 1982 CB900F, a 105 HP bike. A badazz of it's day.
laugh.gif

An older Katana 600 is a good starter bike - plenty available & pretty cheap. Buy GOOD gear 1st, then take the class. The newer bikes are still too fast & light to start on. My Wife started w/ a 97 Katana - loved it. She now rides A CBR F4i. Much lighter & controllable, but more expensive. Frame sliders are a must because you WILL drop it. GOOD LUCK

OK Real Quick, I admit I didn't read the other posts, but here's my recommendations for REAL bikes, that are going to be ALOT for Newbie rider but NOT too much...

Suzuki SV650- huge after market, HUGE and lots of parts available, fun usable power and great handling bikes, find a used one save a ton.

Kawasaki 650R- Parallel twin low seat height and a hoot to ride, very cool looking.

And if you are DEAD SET on a Full on Sportbike? I'd find a 2002-2003 CBR600F4i. Fast, nimble, and all day comfortable with a decent aftermarket and Honda reliability and durability. Terrific bikes for most anything and can be picked up used for not a whole lotta money.

The Katana 750... This is the Ideal First bike if you're dead set on going with BIG HEAVY open class bikes. WHY cause the Kat 750 weighs the same as the Busa and has fairly similar ergo's so it's not a huge change going from bike to bike accept for the power and handling. Take your time getting into the Busa and other open class bikes though, they will ruin you for just about everything else on two wheels...

<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:trebuchet ms'></span>
All you need is your riders permit, that's all my dad has for now, till he finishes his test and he rides a busa! What are the regulations where your from?
in Europe , the situation is mostly like this ,

0-2 years , max. 250Cc
3-4 years , max. 600Cc
5-x years , no limit ...

... so you have to wait 5 years to ride a Busa .

my 15 year old son has a little off rode experience and is now starting to learn about street bikes. He rides a little with me on my wifes CBR 600 F4i. This is a great bike as it is a little mellow in low RPMs and feels easy to control. Two things I would echo here from other riders

1. Start with a used bike in the 600cc range and ride it for a year or so. In most cases you can then turn around and sell it for probably not much less than you bought it for.

2. Take the MSF class before you get the bike if possible. If not, have it scheduled fairly soon after. This is a must I feel.

3. Find someone to ride with that is experienced and can help teach you good road riding skills and tips. I am a relatively old man compared to you, and I still try to surround myself with better riders. Never too old to learn and improve.

Goodluck and tell yourself now you will ride with common sense!

1/2 a busa. Kidding. You can buy a chinese enduro for 1,000. Start small and build confidence. If you have riden dirtbikes, etc, a 600 would be good, I am sure you still have some growing to do. Remember, a 600 cc bike will run 150mph or so.

One thing my pops told me. The first time you think you are smarter than the bike, it will bite you in the butt!

Good Luck and be safe.
T

Maybe even consider a dual sport (street legal dirtbike) That way you can be agressive in the dirt and have pretty good agility on the street (plus if you get run off the road, you can probably not immediately crash). Also, they are way taller than most streetbikes and suv drivers can see you more easily. In addition a dp bike can ride right over most road debris (ladders matresses, dead armadillo) without losing control.
I got a gs550 for my first bike back in 87 and it landed me in the hospital (body brace for over a month). Back in 01 when I decided to go back to the street, I sold my cr250r and got a xr600r and I rode that for a year before going to a big cruiser (road Star warrior) and finally to a hayabusa.

I have to agree with Rev. I started out with a Katana 750. This was a great bike that will help you to eventually go into a Busa. The weight between the two are comparable but just different engines and power. I would suggest a used Katana to start out with. You should be able to get one very cheap also and the insurance on one is relatively cheap too. It is a good bike with enough power that you will not become bored with quickly. Hope this helps and good luck and ride safe.

the 600 s and 750s  i feel are not verry good starter bikes !   they are fast as hell ! and light in the front , if you had ridden all your life and it was a first street bike maybe , but dam a first bike ?
rock.gif
 they will not do 180 mph  , but they will get to 100 mph realy fast !  and thats enough to kill ya !
+1  
idea.gif

Take the MSF.  Most have Ninja 250's available in them, so you can see if this might be a bike you could get along with.

And don't believe anyone that tells you a 250 is not enough bike...  Granted, it doesn't have ANY low-end torque, but it has a satisfying top-end rush.  It's also a cheap way to learn how to do your own maintenance.

And, it's faster than your dad's Busa in the twisties, once you learn how it likes to be handled.  
wink.gif

And johnstein, I don't have any experience to this end, but won't most of the new 600's get going at 170+?  I can't imagine the 750 being far behind, as it has roughly the same redline as the 600.
yes they have great top- end in the late model600s and 750s
and the quartemile times arent bad either , i just meant these are not beginer bikes where the busa is hittin 160 between street lights the 600 s arent too far behind ! ninja 250 is a great starter bike but i would start with a little more get up and go , sportster 883 , can pick them up for 3500 to 7500 , if you wanted to go crazy , but i bet you can find a cb 750 for about 500 bucks insure it for 100 dollars for the year , if you drop it , who cares , if you wreck it , who cares , if you decide you dont like ridin or didnt use the bike as much as you planned you could probably sell it for what you paid and avoid the 3 year old gsxr 750 for sale with 230 miles ? or worse parting out whats left of a wrecked bike ! so yes the 600s are fast ! too fast for a beginner rider IMO

in Europe , the situation is mostly like this ,

0-2 years , max. 250Cc
3-4 years , max. 600Cc
5-x years , no limit ...

... so you have to wait 5 years to ride a Busa .
Holy Cow!

Those darned Europeans....
Man that would suck major donkey!!

Suzuki SV650 or Ninja 650 - both great first bikes - fast enough - good handling - fun - and not too much to handle for a first bike

I wish this bad girl was MINE!!!

Ty_on_Busa_003.jpg

I think I look pretty good on this baby!

Ty_on_Busa_002.jpg

Back