What would you do?

Frank Adams

Registered
Bob, Heres what I think I might do.

1. Keep your Busa. Remember this, the zx-12 will be a great bike but if you decide to get one when they come out your going to have to go through another year of, waiting!
Waiting for this to come out & that to be developed.
You, Yourself helped alot of members out by getting involved with the pw2.
You said it yourself, Get the jump on the zx-12!
Those guy's have a hole year of Bobs, Brock davidsons and a list of many other Pioneers to look forward tooo...

Where are we going to be by that time?

How easy will it be to get these Aftermarket things for the Busa by the time thier at the level we are NOW?

If your really into new bikes and you like to figure things out, then i think you should get a zx-12.

Unlike Myself, some guy's don't want to see how good a bike they really have. What it's capabilities are.

This is the way i look at it!
(understand my point)

If a zx-12 cost $12,000? (Are you with me?)

And a Busa cost $10,500...

Now if I take another $1,500 and add it to my Busa, "Pound for Pound" What will I have when i compare the two bikes?

You know as well as I do what you'll have. There is no comparison!

Plus Bob, All the head aches we've went through are already done.
The zx-12 has all that to come.....

But seriously Bob, If you want a new challenge I have one for you!
(this is pretty simple)

Put a 1300r motor in a 750 chassis. It can be done.

Also, you can insure it as a 750. (Big savings!)

One last thing to say here, I'm not sure owning two bikes that are that close in performance is a good idea. I think somewhere down the line one of them will get neglected.
Also, when you have a bike as cool as one of these, I think your better to give it all your attention rather then half of it....

....Frank

Zook!!! all the way. Gixxer 750 is awesome. I'm not much for Hondas. My interpretation is that the Kwaker is going to be more of a superbike(like an R1, TL1000, 929, or Gixxer 750). Keep the Busa and toss a coin between the 750 and 929, or keep the 650 you have. I like diversity. Why own 2 sportbikes of the same type? Then again, I own a Busa and a ZX-11D (similar types-sport tourers) but I'm weird. Too much paint sniffing during my mother's pregnancy I think. don't listen to me. What do I know. I'm going to go eat some calmari.

OPTION #2! Don't sell the busa for a 12R!

Since you like the busa, you'd be splittng hairs, but... you'd be starting all over again, when it comes to learning the "little tricks" of maintance. You already know them on the busa. You'd also have to readjust to the handling differences. This isn't to say that one's better than the other. In compairing ANY two bikes, the will be "personality" differences.

750 vs. 929? Tough one, there. The redesign of the GSXR's FI has eliminated the last "problem" of the bike. With it's light weight and years of design... it's a true repli-racer without the "repli". In the Honda tradition, you know the 929 will be "rock" stable and a smooth ride. Honda's never made a "twichy" bike.

It does come down to the SOLE purpose of the bike. A complete thrashing of your buddies, on a short, twisty ride...GSXR. A "distance runner" that can keep up with just about anything AND is comfortable too... 929.

I think you'd be disappointed in letting go a good girlfriend (the busa), to go run off with the latest "floozy" (12R) that came into the showroom. This discription is for you Bob, for me, that "floozy" is my future wife.

To Bob: I'll try to describe, as best as memory will allow, since show was almost a month ago. Also, I sat on the 929 a month earlier, and they weren't letting anyone sit on 929 at Long Beach. I don't recall too much out of the ordinary on the 929. I can most accurately compare 2000 GSXR 750, to current bikes I have. The over all seating position was closer to the "feel" of my 98 ZX-9. I wasn't leaning as hard forward, with as much hand pressure, as with my 99 R-1. GSXR is noticebly lighter than R-1. Though it is 4 lbs lighter than R-6, R-6 "feels" slightly lighter, due to the illusion of the smaller wind shield, and fairing. R-6 is a bit difficult, in tight turns, due to H-bar being too close to tank. My girlfriend has the R-6, and I have rode it, some. Though the Hayabusa has much power, it's kind of neat to do some nimble riding, with a lighter bike. The R-6 even made my R-1 feel heavy. The GSXR 750 seems like a good combination of motor, weight, and handling. Also looking forward to fuel injection on lightweight bike. Like FI much, on Busa. I still would have busa for max hp. and drag racing. Also sat on ZX-12. Seat feels higher, and sharp corners were cutting into my inner thigh, a bit. Also, a passenger would be more comfortable on Busa. Seating position felt similar to ZX-9. Weight felt same as Busa. Busa leans farther over on side stand, so "feels" heavier on initial lift, but they both felt about the same, at equal lean angles. Kawasaki exhibit had photo promo, where they would take your picture on bike, and put it on a simulated magazine cover. Got picture of my girlfriend on back of red version. As far as my own dimensions: I'm 5'10" @ 220lb (in leathers + helmet). Long in body, short in leg, only 30" inseam, (to ground.) age: 48 / riding 33 yrs. Hope this info does more to help, than confuse. If you want, you can E-Mail : chrisdolan@webtv.net

Just for thought...there`s a lot of good deals around on R-1`s...at least here anyway...you can pick up a low miles like new R-1 cheap...and keep the bus...I`ve thought about a R-1 a lot ...

Personally I would keep the Busa and let the 12 develop for another year, as for the 929 or the Gixxer both would be excellent bikes. However the 929 is going to cost more initially and is going to be much harder to get. The Gixxer will be cheaper and should be plentiful.

Gentlemen, I would lke your opinions please---My available funds, dinero, coin, cash is much bigger in my small little mind than on paper.
This means I did some serious end of year number crunching -income, savings, commission due--IT AINT THERE WITHOUT MAJOR STRETCHING AND HOPING.
If you had the following situation "what would you do?"
I own a Black / grey Busa and a SV650 (wife actually put 4000 miles on it, I only rode it maybe 1200 mi fun but too small for me)

Original plan was to purchase a ZX12R, keep the Busa, trade the SV650 for a GSXR750 or 929RR. (got money down on the 12, but can reapply to another bike I know the dealer very well)This plan doesn't look good $wise.

Option 1. Sell Busa, get 12R continue with plan. Consideration--Specs at Kaw site show the 12R at 210 kgs (463 lbs dry) 134 Nm torque@ 7500 rpm Thats only 98-99 ft-lbs!! My Busa does this and more at 6750 rpm. Hmm
I am waivering more than ever on this bike now, IF THE NUMBERS ARE TRUE.

Option 2. Keep Busa, Modify it further, wheels, cams, fender elimnator, maybe head work? Stay a step ahead of the 12R.
Focus on GSXR750 929RR decision which is another mess for me.

Option 3. Commit suicide on the Busa since my decision making skills are becomming that of a woman.

Please comment on the 929RR vs. GSXR750. I want a LIGHT bike that truly handles for my Sunday scratching with the boys, but is no horsepower slouch either. (wife will certainly jump on the 929 or 750 as well- part of master plan to get the buy-in from her--my wife is cool).
After all--I realize I am lucky to have any options. 10 years ago this would only have been a pipe dream.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 27 December 1999).]

First bob lets look at the 929 vs. 750 question: Better yet, the 150hp 374lb vs the 140hp 366lb question. You see my point? Are you a zook man or big red? Personal preference once again. Although the 929 would clearly be my choice it sounds like you have a definite preference for the zook. When you deal with the 12 vs. busa debate your gonna end up in the same boat. 463 vs 474, 178 vs 176, 99ftlb vs 99ftlb. Ultimately the green freaks will continue to worship at the altar of the big K and the gixxer freaks will go down with the ship before they'll ride green. On the street there will be no superiority, nor is there much chance of extracting 100% of these bikes potential on the street. We have entered a new era in motorcycling. Pick the one you like the best and hang on!

Have copper busa, thinking of getting 2000 GSXR 750 for light weight bike. If weight and money is a consideration, GSXR-750 has both categories covered against CBR-929. So far, have only sat on both at shows. //Re: Busa vs ZX-12. If 463 weight is correct, (and not just a "marketing change" from prior 476 ), it's with a factory 4:1 ex. Busa has heavier 4:2. Since a lot of people put aftermarket 4:1 pipes, total weight should even out. Both bikes at show felt the same on weight, as far as sitting, and leaning over. Also, MRSP on ZX-12 is $ 1200~ 1500 higher. Dealer "greed factor" will also be higher, until the hype dies down. If you still want ZX-12, wait till there is one to test ride, somewhere. However, I had to wait a year, before I could do that with R-1. Got blue one in July, 99. //Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 18 December 1999).]

Bob, wait until these other bikes come out.
The Busa has alot to work with, the ZX12 if I understand right is a bored stroked? zx9 engine ? I might be wrong but if it is there is not much more to do with that engine. alot of these other bikes might be fast but I dont think they are going to have the arm pulling torque of the busa. I sat on a new gsxr 750 at a bike show, sure was light !
just my two cents

Omega--thanks for the response.
I am not loyal to any manufacturer. The 750 vs 929 question gets interesting because of the 750's history of suspension. The 750 offers some great innovations as does the 929RR. I am leaning towards the 929RR right now and need to decide before the months over.
The Busa vs. 12R. If the weight and power numbers above hold true I think I will have to stay with the Suzook.
As I said before, I put the deposit down on the 12R assuming its weight would be substantially below the Busa.
It looks like it will be close between these bikes with the stock 12R probably beating the stock Busa. But, I believe the Busa will have more potential to squeeze out more power.
Bob

c.dolan--you posted during my reply to omega.
You said you sat on both the 929 and Gsxr750.
How tall are you? PLease tell me more on the comparison from just sitting on them. Bar reach, foot pegs, lightness, cockpit, fit finish.
Bob

Hey Bob, here's what you should do... Keep the Busa and put some money in it, (new exhaust, etc...), then get the 750, that way you have a bike that looks like no other bike out there and that's fast as hell, and you will also have the 750, owesome bike, and your wife can still ride it... But you definetely need to trade the 650 for something faster and better looking for your wife.

[This message has been edited by Hayabusero (edited 18 December 1999).]

I have owned a GSXR750 since 92. My current is a 98. The change from carbs to fuel injection is great. I also love the RR series, I've owned four. BUT, no way am I going to miss this new GSXR. I'm tradin the 98 for a 2K GSXR and buyin the 929RR. As for sellin my Busa for the ZX12R, not an option here.

If it were me I'd keep the Busa and buy a Yammie R6. That would give me bikes at both ends of the sportbike spectrum. The power and speed and weight of a Busa's for the interstates and turning capability, light weight for twisties and for the wife to ride.

My 2cents

Sherm,
Having read your post reference about the Y2K
R1 it seems that most of your concurns have been addressed in the Y2K model. Did you
think the Heli-Bars changed the handling
much?

Konrad, the Heli bars didn't change the handling but made stop and go riding in traffic much more pleasant. The stock bars had kind of a droop that really put a strain on the wrists when stopped for a light or going slow. The Heli bars reduced the droop.

At speeds of 60 on up the lack of a decent wind screen helped comfort in one way. The wind pressure takes the weight off the wrists.

To me the most important mod is the damper. The Y2K R1's might not need one but the older ones did. I think the original R1's were unpredictable in certain situations, breaking in a turn being one. The mags glossed over these problems in the effort to hype the bike. The Y2K R1 may be the ultimate riding experience if the handling quirks are gone.

Konrad - as far as the handling of the two bikes, I figure these 3 numbers are about the only thing that will give us an idea... for now. Those numbers are: wheelbase, rake angle and trail. I looked all over the web to find the rake and trail of the Hayabusa and couldn't find it. I'm sure someone can help me out, on this.

The 12R's wheelbase of 56.7" is 1.8" shorter than the busa's 58.5". The 12R's rake and trail is 23.5 deg. / 3.7". These numbers are in the R1 and ZX9R (24/3.7" wb-55.7") range. I'd guess that the 12R could cut a nice corner, but wouldn't have the straight line stability of the busa with it's longer wheelbase. I'd also guess that the busa's rake and trail numbers are little closer to the ZX11's (26.5/4.2" wb-58.9"), but probably not quite that high.

To me, low numbers equal strong handling verses high numbers equal stability. I know there's more to it than this, but it's a start. Like sherm said, a damper really helps any bike and that's why my M Toby is comming off my 7R and going on the 12R.

[This message has been edited by redelk (edited 19 December 1999).]

Back