Which Oil Filter Wrench?

OB_grandvitesse

Registered
Perhaps this question as already been asked, but couldn't find in archives.

Ready to do the 600 mile oil/filter change and I'm having difficulty finding a filter wrench to fit. I'd rather not spend the extra $$ on OEM product.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pep Boys carries a Flo-tool brand filter end wrench which fits the OEM filter. The Flo-tool part number is simply a letter "G" wrench. $4.49.

The only difference from Suzuki's wrench is that the Flo-tool is designed to use a 3/8 drive ratchet whereas Suzuki's tool has a hex nut so it can be turned with an open-end or box-end wrench. The Flo-tool has a hexagonal body and can be easily rotated with a set of flat-jaw channel locks.

By the way, use a Suzuki oil filter as the threads are metric and the supposed crossover to Purolator, Fram, etc will not fit.

For ones putting thier filter on like a car...hand tight...read the manual it states a very high torque #...I just don`t have manual in front of me at this moment...I was very suprised...

after contect 2 full turns, aslo find use cap wrench and the strap type no 3/8 drive needed. no fishing through headers seems to work better.

I did find the oil filter cap wrench at Pep Boys ($4.95) but maneuvering around header pipes with socket/extension was a pain, but it gets the job done. The OEM wrench would be easiest to work with.

Dealing with the fairing was more of a pain. I found Cisco San Jose's post of June 19, 1999, describing in detail removal of fairing great help.

Thanks for all your help.

Back