Aftermarket adjustable cylinders and reservoirs?

dcnblues

Registered
I have two problems:
-The front brake is adequate but intermittently much better. It just doesn't stay that way. I've had the recall mod, and I can lock the front without bottoming the lever, but every once in awhile it seems to pump up and give that instant bite feel that's preferable. I don't mean to start a new discussion on the stock master cylinder, I just want to understand better aftermarket options.
-The stock master cylinder assembly will only rotate so far forward. I'd like to rotate it a little more, ie have the levers for Clutch and Brake pointed downwards more. At the same time, I'd like the top of the reservoirs level, that is rotatable on their mount so the top is level. Yes I am aware that moving the handlebars left and right can compensate for that.

I'd love to do brembos with AEM reservoirs, but I think that would be about 12 to $1400, and that's too rich for my blood at the moment. (And I'm not sure they're designed to be rotated as far forward as I would like, particularly AEM integrated option). If anyone knows of a good (and good looking) but less expensive option, I'd love to hear about it.

Do you ride Gen 3 ? The Brembo range of master cylinders and the CNC Racing carbon reservoirs can be sourced at Carpimoto Italy , online for good price . Galespeed Japan make good master cylinders , might be able to find a good price with a search . Most Brembo masters in my experience are able to tilt forward okay , and with good reservoir bracket options available to enable this . I have found body work inner panels / dash panel can set the limit for rotation clearance .

Hey @dcnblues, I take it you have read this on the Yamy swap? The stock Brembo Stylema calipers for the 3rd generation HAYABUSA look pretty good! Brembo spec their 19mm for the Gen 3 but with the 30mm rather than the Gen 2's 32mm pistons I'll be using the 17mm. That article refers to an OEM 16mm so going in the other direction from what you are looking for but with the mechanical leverage difference it might well be a low friction option, excuse the pun.

Hey @dcnblues, I take it you have read this on the Yamy swap? The stock Brembo Stylema calipers for the 3rd generation HAYABUSA look pretty good! Brembo spec their 19mm for the Gen 3 but with the 30mm rather than the Gen 2's 32mm pistons I'll be using the 17mm. That article refers to an OEM 16mm so going in the other direction from what you are looking for but with the mechanical leverage difference it might well be a low friction option, excuse the pun.
Love it! I've got to read up on the specs and size calculations. The Gale speed calculator page, for example, is over my head.
Master cylinder fit calculation

You guys with the more racing setup on the front brakes feel free to chip in on getting used to the feel of something more grabby. On the one hand I don't want to panic grab the lever and skid the front tire, but on the other hand the Gen 3 has pretty good anti-lock...

PS I'm anal about symmetry so I would probably do this mod to the clutch side as well with matching reservoir. Which is why the Brembo option will probably be too expensive.

Last edited:
I have two problems:
-The front brake is adequate but intermittently much better. It just doesn't stay that way. I've had the recall mod, and I can lock the front without bottoming the lever, but every once in awhile it seems to pump up and give that instant bite feel that's preferable. I don't mean to start a new discussion on the stock master cylinder, I just want to understand better aftermarket options.
-The stock master cylinder assembly will only rotate so far forward. I'd like to rotate it a little more, ie have the levers for Clutch and Brake pointed downwards more. At the same time, I'd like the top of the reservoirs level, that is rotatable on their mount so the top is level. Yes I am aware that moving the handlebars left and right can compensate for that.

I'd love to do brembos with AEM reservoirs, but I think that would be about 12 to $1400, and that's too rich for my blood at the moment. (And I'm not sure they're designed to be rotated as far forward as I would like, particularly AEM integrated option). If anyone knows of a good (and good looking) but less expensive option, I'd love to hear about it.
I think brembo/rizoma combo would be a better fit for you based on the fact it sounds like you want the reservoir To be adjustable independently. Thats the setup I had on my gen2 and, once you try it, you’ll forget about the cost. I consider myself a below average rider and even I can appreciate the amazing feel and feedback you get with this particular setup.

I think brembo/rizoma combo would be a better fit for you based on the fact it sounds like you want the reservoir To be adjustable independently. Thats the setup I had on my gen2 and, once you try it, you’ll forget about the cost. I consider myself a below average rider and even I can appreciate the amazing feel and feedback you get with this particular setup.
Thanks for that. Now I'm leaning towards not worrying about the asymmetry of it, getting the 6-way adjustable Brembo, and leaving the clutch for some future time.

On my gen 2 I have rcs 19 corsa cortas
On the gen 3 rcs19's

I think the additional cost for the corsa corta was well worth it.
Regardless moving to the brembo MC/Brake was amazing

Back