Another Cheese Head gets a Busa :-)

OldFartDave

Registered
Got a deal on a 2002 Busa and just had to do it. It's been down (road rash), and the clutch is toast, but for the price I couldn't resist?! How could someone toast a clutch like this on a bike with only 9K miles on it?! I don't get it. Haven't ridden it yet, waiting for parts, but boy it's heavy compared to my Ninja 1000.
20210904_144733.jpg
20210905_113338.jpg

Cheese head? So a Jimmy Buffet fan eh? Welcome!

Sounds like you do your own work? Way to bring this abused baby around.

Looks like it lost some weight with the aftermarket mufflers. I see a Sportech windscreen and a tank protector. Is it just the sun or are the panels aside the tank painted silver?

I enjoy the comfort and stability of this and my VFR. There is the gain for the penalty of weight.

Cheese head? So a Jimmy Buffet fan eh? Welcome!

Sounds like you do your own work? Way to bring this abused baby around.

Looks like it lost some weight with the aftermarket mufflers. I see a Sportech windscreen and a tank protector. Is it just the sun or are the panels aside the tank painted silver?

I enjoy the comfort and stability of this and my VFR. There is the gain for the penalty of weight.
Thanks. I'm so green I didn't know that it's not a stock windscreen. Exhaust and tank protector ... of course. I'm not one for loud aftermarket pipes, but this has a nice note to it. The tank painting ... I think it's just funky lighting.

I try to do my own work when I can, but I'm no motor-head. The youtube videos on doing a clutch made changing clutch look easy ... and it is. The only tough part was breaking the bolts on the pressure plate. Since there was virtually no clutch, the whole pressure plate wanted to spin. Getting the plastic off is also a synch compared to my Ninja.

Ouch! It has new tires and it would disappointing if I have to swap out the front. Your comment emphasizes to me that I can't make any assumptions about a used bike. I need to go over it from windscreen to rubber on the road.

Thanks for the you discerning observation! I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like a 60 series front tire, instead of stock 70mm.
If it is a 60, it will turn and handle better with a 70.
Set the suspension sag before you ride it.
Good catch! Neither tire is the right size ...grrr! front: 120/60 and rear: 200/50. Will this be safe to ride? Kind of hard to judge it for myself because I've only been on smaller lighter liter bikes (FZ1 and Ninja)

Ahh, this is starting to make sense now. Burnt up clutch and drag race tires. The tires are Shinko Verge. I have no idea how old the tires are, but they have never seen the road and feel quite soft. I know tires gas out so just because they haven't been run doesn't mean they are good. Does 3011 mean anything. It looks to be a changeable embossed number on the rear tire. Not to worry, I know what slippery tires feel like.

Thanks for all the discussion. It has been really helpful. I never envisioned myself with a Busa, but it kind of just fell into my hands without me knowing anything about them except their legend.

Ahh, this is starting to make sense now. Burnt up clutch and drag race tires. The tires are Shinko Verge. I have no idea how old the tires are, but they have never seen the road and feel quite soft. I know tires gas out so just because they haven't been run doesn't mean they are good. Does 3011 mean anything. It looks to be a changeable embossed number on the rear tire. Not to worry, I know what slippery tires feel like.

Thanks for all the discussion. It has been really helpful. I never envisioned myself with a Busa, but it kind of just fell into my hands without me knowing anything about them except their legend.
Get rid of the shinkos and get yourself some good tires on there. Depending on what kind of riding you do will decide what tires to go for. I personally have given up on high mileage tires and decided sticky was worth the extra money. My personal favorite type after trying quite a few is the Dunlop q3 plus, not gonna get a whole lot for miles out of em but they do stick real well especially if you have some twisty roads you like to ride. Welcome to the madness of the org anything you could want to know about a busa is on here somewhere or is in one of the members heads.

O yeah by the way make sure to loctite those clutch bolts when u reassemble it, they have been known to come loose and there was a service bulletin for it back in the day. It does some damage you wouldn't want so save yourself the headache.

I personally have given up on high mileage tires and decided sticky was worth the extra money.
:thumbsup:

Welcome Dave. I'm a WI busa brother since 2009 and I have the 2008 black and orange.

Please watch for deer, dude. Hate to jinx you but really, you gotta take the warning signs when you get a couple. I'm going strictly track from here on in unless I move to a more urban area again.

just to consolidate the replies to all the helpful comments.
- locktite the clutchplate. Not one DIY video mentions that! thanks for the heads up!
- high mileage tires. I've run through around 6 sets of Pilot Roads. Perhaps it's time to try something different. Thanks
- deer, yea I've been riding western WI for years too. Around dusk is the worst. Thanks

Get rid of the shinkos and get yourself some good tires on there. <snip> My personal favorite type after trying quite a few is the Dunlop q3 plus,
I'm going to take your tire suggestion, but I'm going to run the Shinkos just for comparison. I've never run crap tires (other than factory issue or the tail end of good tire life). I love the feeling of fresh tires! It doesn't take much persuasion to tell me to get a fresh set! :-)

The good tires are on order and will be ready to mount the moment I cry uncle! Not to worry, I'll take it easy on the crap tires. I'm not a knee dragger anyway. :-)

Back