GEN 3 starting issues

effyzx

Registered
has anyone experienced a starting issue with the gen 3 when engine is at running temp, if turned off from kill switch and then turned back on ,getting symptoms of a flat battery till it eventually kicks in and starts ,

Welcome to the forum.

Try doing the same thing with the key and see if you get the same result. The OEMs tend to recommend using the key and knowing that, the computer might go through a different sequence of steps with the key versus the kill switch.

I have a gen 2 and have slow hot starts. So far I am unclear if it wants a newer than new battery or something like a cable or starter component is heating up and this will always happen. I think knowledge of this issue is a bit vague.

I had this happen once when I stalled it in a hill. Took a few minutes but it fired
yes i also have had it stall at traffic lights then when trying to restart it you get the symptons of a flat battery , eventually it always did start but scarey in traffic, mine actually did it the day i got it with 5 miles on the clock, the reason i am asking is i moved on my gen 3 as i was not happy with this , but cannot fault the bike apart from the bad start , i would like to buy another in white , but was wondering if anyone new the fix for this thanks for the info

yes i also have had it stall at traffic lights then when trying to restart it you get the symptons of a flat battery , eventually it always did start but scarey in traffic, mine actually did it the day i got it with 5 miles on the clock, the reason i am asking is i moved on my gen 3 as i was not happy with this , but cannot fault the bike apart from the bad start , i would like to buy another in white , but was wondering if anyone new the fix for this thanks for the info
So far, it appears to be as simple as a cycle of the key on/off/on. Something with the computer isn’t allowing folks to restart immediately with the kill switch. I’ve never had the issue but that seems to fix those that are having it.

So far, it appears to be as simple as a cycle of the key on/off/on. Something with the computer isn’t allowing folks to restart immediately with the kill switch. I’ve never had the issue but that seems to fix those that are having it.
This would make sense if one shut the bike off using the kill switch but the post was about the bike stalling and then not restarting right away....

Sounds like the same gremlin the gen 2 has.....I had to bump start mine once with a brand new fully charged battery when I stalled it on a hill....

Come to think of it this was the second time this happened...the first was at a gas station where I used the key to shut if off...

I recall the time on the hill though.....I had stopped by to talk to a contractor who was going to do some work on my house...of course his crew was there working on that house and were on lunch...the trooped over to look the Bumblebee over and were pretty impressed....then when I was going to leave it wouldn't start...the jeers were still ringing in my ears when I got home...it came really close to being sold that day....

Last edited:
How bad is stalling nowadays? The bike probably does not care at all, right? I am thinking that this season (if it ever shows up) I should test key cycling against both stalling and kill switch shutdowns of a hot engine.

did try every combination the key and the keyswitch tried it with the hill assist on and off ,this is the gen 3 model , really want another gen3 i was hoping someone on here had some more info it is a mystery

dont think this is the same issue as the gen 2, if you stall your gen 2 when at running temp and then go to start it , does it fire up?? the gen 3 will just give symptoms of a flat battery and takes a while before it will turn fast enough to fire up

dont think this is the same issue as the gen 2, if you stall your gen 2 when at running temp and then go to start it , does it fire up?? the gen 3 will just give symptoms of a flat battery and takes a while before it will turn fast enough to fire up
Sounds exactly the same as what happens to a gen 2 to me...

It doesn't happen all the time but once in a while.

has anyone experienced a starting issue with the gen 3 when engine is at running temp, if turned off from kill switch and then turned back on ,getting symptoms of a flat battery till it eventually kicks in and starts ,
Well some of us live in Phoenix and some of us live in Las Vegas, and that should give us more than enough opportunity to investigate and figure out what is causing starting issues. With my 2005 I've never had a problem at all. That problem started with the GEN II's in 2008.

I'm running lithium in both bikes, and although they say lithium doesn't like hot weather, or heat specifically, I've never had an issue running across the desert in heat with these power cells. Now I have had problems with the factory battery.

Well some of us live in Phoenix and some of us live in Las Vegas, and that should give us more than enough opportunity to investigate and figure out what is causing starting issues. With my 2005 I've never had a problem at all. That problem started with the GEN II's in 2008.

I'm running lithium in both bikes, and although they say lithium doesn't like hot weather, or heat specifically, I've never had an issue running across the desert in heat with these power cells. Now I have had problems with the factory battery.
i have heard it mentioned before that someone changed to a lithium battery and it solved the problem for them, what advantage does the lithium battery have over the stock battery , can you tell me which lithium battery you used to replace the stock one, have you not experienced a bad / slow start since you fitted the lithium battery thanks.

For the 2005 I run the ATX 10 antigravity lithium battery, and for the 22 I'm running the same one as the generation two bikes, ATX 12 anti-gravity lithium.

Basically to me, it's about the cranking amps, and the restart button that both batteries come with. If your battery drains down to anything below 12.2 V it shuts itself off. Then you lift the saddle, you push the button, and you can fire the bike. You will not come back to a dead battery.

One of the nice features of both of these batteries is they come with two positive mounting posts and they come with two negative mounting posts. That means you can plug all of your factory wiring into one side, and then one run your auxiliary off the other side.

Back