hard start

I've been playing around with this (okay, it's been happening practicing motojitsu) and have been able to successfully recreate the problem. I've been able to restart quickly after a stall by pushing the start/stop switch to the stop position and then back to start. I think that's all that's needed to reset the start program.

I've been playing around with this (okay, it's been happening practicing motojitsu) and have been able to successfully recreate the problem. I've been able to restart quickly after a stall by pushing the start/stop switch to the stop position and then back to start. I think that's all that's needed to reset the start program.
im going to try it too. hopefully its works.

i experienced a hard start issue. its annoying and ive been able to recreate it. i first noticed it when i let someone ride it and they stalled it. then when they tried to restart it but hitting the start button (without cycling the key.) the engine is slow to crank and sounds as if the battery is low on juice. if i turn key to off and wait, then cycle on, then hit start, the motor fires right up. if i quickly cycle the key on/off it will slow crank and not start. only happens after a stall. every other time, engine fires up. i have around 250miles on odo. anyone else experienc

I stalled my gen 3 around 400 miles at a stop sign and it was slow to restart acted like a low battery, took a couple tries to get it started up. It acts like high timing or small battery cables, I’m not really sure at this point. It’s frustrating when a car is behind you waiting on you to go.

sluggish start when engine is hot, reading the symptoms, It is so similar to the hot start issues i had on my 2011 bmw k1300s… and the fix issued by bmw was to have an additional heavier gauge wire running in parallel to the OEM wire from relay to the starter..this actually was performed by the dealer under the recall.. this solved the problem.. may be a similar approach is needed for the busa …

sluggish start when engine is hot, reading the symptoms, It is so similar to the hot start issues i had on my 2011 bmw k1300s… and the fix issued by bmw was to have an additional heavier gauge wire running in parallel to the OEM wire from relay to the starter..this actually was performed by the dealer under the recall.. this solved the problem.. may be a similar approach is needed for the busa …

They had similar issues with the SLC cars with battery in front and engine in rear, this also fixed the issue (or replace with larger cable).

If you run the additional cable to run them in parallel, make sure you protect the cable with a fuse and the correct size for the cable size used.

A 'twist' that hit me tonight with a 64-degree ambient temperature and a pretty short ride.
Left the g/f's house at 2100 hours and it started normally after sitting for several hours. I rode < 3 miles to the grocery store. On the way out, it hiccupped but started with the throttle crack method.
About 1.5 miles to the gas station and it was no-go several times, no matter what. It would only crank for a second, or two, after refueling. (I didn't want to kill the battery and running volts were 14+/- when I was accidentally cycling through the displays.) I'm only a couple of blocks to my home and a slight downhill, until my driveway. It actually bump started in 2nd gear. Of course, it easily restarted in my garage. (A saving grace is that no one was out to see the debacles and the drunks in the bar next door to the gas station couldn't hear me Fing Suzuki.)

(It only did this in our summers, and it was never this bad.)

Not sure if this is the real fix but recent talk on this forum about this issue it’s caused by using low octane gas. Mine did this when I left the dealership (brand new) and I pulled over to call my wife and when I went to restart it kicked back pretty bad, took a couple tries to start up. I’m sure the dealership put in low octane due to cost. I only use 93 octane now it and starts every time.

Not sure if this is the real fix but recent talk on this forum about this issue it’s caused by using low octane gas. Mine did this when I left the dealership (brand new) and I pulled over to call my wife and when I went to restart it kicked back pretty bad, took a couple tries to start up. I’m sure the dealership put in low octane due to cost. I only use 93 octane now it and starts every time.
I live in a 91-octane area, and I also use booster pellets. I had the same issue before I flashed the ECU. I often ride when it's 100 - 120 degrees and it's hit and miss. I've never had it not start.

This thread makes me change my mind about putting my 2009 back to stock, selling it and finding a used gen3, every time is updated with a new post.

This thread makes me change my mind about putting my 2009 back to stock, selling it and finding a used gen3, every time is updated with a new post.

I really wanted a Gen3 too...but not after all of their unresolved problems.

It has happened, either it’s by design or a non issue. For whatever the reason I stalled the bike, from memory the center dash changed, the bike grunted but would not crank. I turned the key off, waited, switched it on and it fired up. This has been reported numerous times here.

My '99 Copper is < 800 VIN. I remember all of the issues with it that that Suzuki claimed were impossible, until too much info was spreading around the internet. The Gen3 issues were taken care of post-haste.
My '05 LE and '09 didn't starting / running issues.

Look what I found while trying to remember if my '05 and '09 had recalls. Would you put your faith in this information?

Suzuki Hayabusa starting problems can sometimes be traced back to the carburetor, as well.

If you haven’t cleaned the carburetor jets in a long time, and you now have trouble starting, then that could be the main reason for it.

• Haha
Reactions: pcs
I should have said: Thanks, I contacted the manufacturer of the octane booster pellets and one booster pellet was enough for my flashed '18 Grand America to get over 93 with its 7-gallon tank. I'll drop in 2 and with my multiple concussed brain, hopefully I'll totally forget about it.

Back