Michigan Riders. Helmet law.

instead the risk incurred is only to the rider.

And their family, the first responders, the emergency room crew, the little kids in the minivan next to the accident witnessing brain matter skewed about on the freeway.. :whistle:

:beerchug:

I say let people ride without helmets. If they want to crash and die from head injuries or become a vegetable, it is just natural selection :beerchug:

Tired of trying to convine people helmets are safer so I will promote the other side of it.

I say let people ride without helmets. If they want to crash and die from head injuries or become a vegetable it is just natural selection :beerchug:

Yeah, but then other taxpayers will have to fund the result of their stupid choice. (That's what Obamacare means.)

A rider not wearing a helmet may not physically endanger everyone, however and I say this on totally hypothetical terms.... Lets say a rider that is wearing a helmet gets hit by or has a car turn out in front of it...The rider has a better chance of survival when properly geared. Now take that same situation minus the helmet, the driver of the cage may very well have to carry negligent homicide on his or her conscience for the rest of life.

Albeit, I am not well versed on the law persay so I am not sure if there is a clause that protects against this, however even if there is and the driver has no legal repercussions...that is one helluva guilt I would not want. Again just my .02

Yeah, but then other taxpayers will have to fund the result of their stupid choice. (That's what Obamacare means.)

Yes, unfortunately, but people would rather be rebels and ride without one because they have the "freedom" to. You can't fix stupid. At least if they do get in an accident and suffer fatal head injuries, the unfortunate families of the injured party will always preach about helmets. Some good comes out of it. The "freedom" promoter can no longer sway others to exercise their "freedom" to ride without a helmet while his family is left to educate others on the importance of helmets.

Pretty rough to say, but it is the truth. You cannot always help or convine people to be safe.

Where's StwBusa :whistle: :rofl:

The only way we can reduce motorcycle incidents is to force everyone to ride a motorcycle for a few months.. If cagers knew what it was like, they'd respect us more, and look out for us... I wonder how many motorcycle "incidents" there are in countries like Vietnam, and the like which motorcycles rule and cars are rare.. Just wondering... ???

I've been saying that for years! - If everyone was forced to ride a motorcycle for 12 months before they were allowed to drive a car, the roads would be a lot safer. - People would learn to use their eyes before changing lanes, for example.

Dude's! Right on! I've been saying that for decades now! If every cager was also a rider, the world would be a better place!

Besides, there'd be a lot less cagers b/c half the population would never make it through a year on a bike w/o dying and half and 1/4 of the population would be too scared to ever ride at all (thereby they'd never get a cager license). It's a win/win! :evil: :)

And their family, the first responders, the emergency room crew, the little kids in the minivan next to the accident witnessing brain matter skewed about on the freeway.. :whistle:

Let's not forget each of us EVERY OTHER RIDER that might lose the privelege to ride b/c the general public is more and more convinced with every accident, injury and death that motorcycles are the spawn of Satan himself and s/b banned outright! :rulez:

I say let people ride without helmets. If they want to crash and die from head injuries or become a vegetable, it is just natural selection :beerchug:

Tired of trying to convine people helmets are safer so I will promote the other side of it.

Fine by me...BUT, I say that IF they choose to ride without a helmet AND wind up in an accident that they ALSO choose to either forefeit or pay out of pocket for ALL associated costs with dealing with said accident.

A rider not wearing a helmet may not physically endanger everyone, however and I say this on totally hypothetical terms.... Lets say a rider that is wearing a helmet gets hit by or has a car turn out in front of it...The rider has a better chance of survival when properly geared. Now take that same situation minus the helmet, the driver of the cage may very well have to carry negligent homicide on his or her conscience for the rest of life.

Albeit, I am not well versed on the law persay so I am not sure if there is a clause that protects against this, however even if there is and the driver has no legal repercussions...that is one helluva guilt I would not want. Again just my .02

Here's another hypothetical: Rider gets hit in the helmet by a bird, or a small rock or a huge bug, whatever. No big deal. If he's not wearing a helment, he could wreck right there, or maybe he falls unconscious or is ONLY blinded and drives into another vehicle or a pedestrian.

I know that our tiny little vehicles aren't gonna knock over semi's anytime soon, but we ARE piloting machines in the 500 pound range and given the right (albeit less common) circumstances, we can hurt others with our mistakes.

Here's another hypothetical: Rider gets hit in the helmet by a bird, or a small rock or a huge bug, whatever. No big deal. If he's not wearing a helment, he could wreck right there, or maybe he falls unconscious or is ONLY blinded and drives into another vehicle or a pedestrian.

I know that our tiny little vehicles aren't gonna knock over semi's anytime soon, but we ARE piloting machines in the 500 pound range and given the right (albeit less common) circumstances, we can hurt others with our mistakes.

+1

I know I Gpmo and I both got hit in the helmets with rocks just a short time ago when we rode through an area where for some reason the road surface was about an inch deep in gravel. Would have never ridden there if we'd known, but by the time we saw it, there was no other way to go. Without helmets, there's a decent chance one or both of us could have wrecked after catching a rock between marble and golfball sized in the head or face. It's true, bikes aren always big enough to total another vehicle correctly, but what about a driver behind us swerving to avoid running over a rider and sliding into incoming traffic?

I'm not saying I think that gvmt has the right to force us to wear them, but I don't know that it's 100% accurate to say that riding without one couldn't possibly affect other people.

Sorry to say this but, but more what if arguments people make like this, the more they argue for:
large windsheilds
crash bars
HP limits
top speed limits
age limits
location restrictions
time restrictions
the list can go on for ever until it reaches total banning:

I think everyone should wear a hemet because it is the smart thing to do. But think about it, we strap ourselves to a ACME Rocket with a match in the shape of a throttle. How safe is that?

Next thing you know, Congress will pass a law requiring everybody in the USA to buy insurance. Whether they want to or not; whether they need to or not.

Oh, wait...they already did!!

I'm not responsible for adult members of my family and they're not responsible for me.

First responders and ER crew? That's their job. That's what they get paid for. If they don't like it, it's time for a new career.

Won't someone think of the children? What if a fully geared motorcyclist ends up under the wheels of a semi with a minivan full of kids witnessing the accident? All the gear in the world won't keep the spaghetti, pasta and pizza intact.
They will be scarred for life because they witnessed a MOTORCYCLE accident.

Maybe it's time to ban all motorcycles period.

Maybe it's time to ban all motorcycles period.

Fine by me. As long as they grandfather me in! :thumbsup:

Being responsible for someone and caring for someone are two different things. You say you aren't responsible for your adult family members. So if one of them were in a debilitating accident you wouldn't feel obligated to take care of them then?
And as far as the other poster, I think mandatory insurance is a good thing. Have you ever had your car totaled out by an uninsured motorist? Let me tell you, its no walk in the park.. :banghead:

Fine by me. As long as they grandfather me in! :thumbsup:

Being responsible for someone and caring for someone are two different things. You say you aren't responsible for your adult family members. So if one of them were in a debilitating accident you wouldn't feel obligated to take care of them then?
And as far as the other poster, I think mandatory insurance is a good thing. Have you ever had your car totaled out by an uninsured motorist? Let me tell you, its no walk in the park.. :banghead:

I have family and friends who don't believe in helmets, life vests on boats or wearing seat belts in cars. That's their choice.
I also have family and friends that think I'm insane for owning an ungodly fast motorcycle. Too bad as that's my choice.

Do you have family members that care about you and would be obligated to care for you after a debilitating accident? If so, why do you own something as dangerous as a motorcycle? ???

Think of how much safer a car is compared to a motorcycle. A fender bender or hitting a deer is nothing in a car but often deadly on a bike.

And while we're at it, no OLD CARS either. Time to crush those vintage Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes. Only cars made within the last 10 years should be allowed on the road because of all the safety improvements. No need for high performance cars or convertibles either.

Sorry but I'm no fan of Ralph Nader.

Back