Michigan Riders. Helmet law.

had a cruiser buddy with a fake helmet crash going 45mph.....faceplant and died....3 other friends on sports bike got T-boned by cars not playin attention....one was on life support one paralized another on life support lost some fingers....are all doing fine now...and all had helmets...no matter how hot or cool it is to ride without a helmet i always wear mine...but it should be everyone choice wheather to wear one or not

Tired of trying to convine people helmets are safer so I will promote the other side of it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chief, nobody is trying to convince anyone it's safer to ride without a helmet. You can now rest.

The topic is about Senate Bill 291 in Michigan to allow motorcyclists to decide for themselves what gear to wear, specifically a helmet, instead of a politician deciding for them.
:usa:

Due to the increased deaths and head trauma that the insurance companies end up paying out for, actually it's the policy holders that pay.

Is that a serious question?! I mean, come on...???

EDIT: For those of you who consider helmet laws to be some sort of intrusion on your personal freedom, I wonder what you think about things like voluntary euthanasia? - You have a Government which tells the terminally-ill that they are not allowed to end their own suffering, nor can a family member assist them to do so. I regard that as a much more serious infringement of someone's rights.

My mistake, I thought MI was still free and didn't have a helmet law. I didn't read the bill, thought it was to increase helmet use not reduce it. That said I'm still against them and seat belt laws and every other law where the Government seeks to protect me from myself. Following that logic M/C's should not be legal. Swimming pools ought to be banned too.

I'm all for suicide. Feel free to kill yourself when ever you please. Allowing family members to assist has obvious pitfalls. There's a very fine line between that and homicide.

It's a given everyone is going to die. Just a matter of time. Does the when matter much? Does the how matter either if your doing it to yourself? Is being killed on a M/C with or without a helmet any better or worse than cancer? I say decide those questions for yourself. Don't force your logic or decisions on anyone else. You decide for you and let others decide for themselves.

If everyone is so offended by gray matter on the asphalt why do they rubber neck so hard to see it. Fact is we love it. We pay to see it ie: movies, TV, video games, boxing, MMA etc etc.

had a cruiser buddy with a fake helmet crash going 45mph.....faceplant and died....3 other friends on sports bike got T-boned by cars not playin attention....one was on life support one paralized another on life support lost some fingers....are all doing fine now...and all had helmets...no matter how hot or cool it is to ride without a helmet i always wear mine...but it should be everyone choice wheather to wear one or not

A great point that seems to be missed in these little debates. Are you safer with a helmet? Sure... but helmets aren't magic and many riders WITH helmets STILL end up with serious neurologic deficits. Brain damage can still occur to a helmeted rider (AND DOES).

I always feel like some posters fail to realize that head injuries can still occur regardless of helmet use.

I'm not responsible for adult members of my family and they're not responsible for me.

First responders and ER crew? That's their job. That's what they get paid for. If they don't like it, it's time for a new career.

Won't someone think of the children? What if a fully geared motorcyclist ends up under the wheels of a semi with a minivan full of kids witnessing the accident? All the gear in the world won't keep the spaghetti, pasta and pizza intact.
They will be scarred for life because they witnessed a MOTORCYCLE accident.

Maybe it's time to ban all motorcycles period.

Don't worry, this is what first responders and the ER crew live for ;) I promise.

My mistake, I thought MI was still free and didn't have a helmet law. I didn't read the bill, thought it was to increase helmet use not reduce it. That said I'm still against them and seat belt laws and every other law where the Government seeks to protect me from myself. Following that logic M/C's should not be legal. Swimming pools ought to be banned too.

I'm all for suicide. Feel free to kill yourself when ever you please. Allowing family members to assist has obvious pitfalls. There's a very fine line between that and homicide.

It's a given everyone is going to die. Just a matter of time. Does the when matter much? Does the how matter either if your doing it to yourself? Is being killed on a M/C with or without a helmet any better or worse than cancer? I say decide those questions for yourself. Don't force your logic or decisions on anyone else. You decide for you and let others decide for themselves.

If everyone is so offended by gray matter on the asphalt why do they rubber neck so hard to see it. Fact is we love it. We pay to see it ie: movies, TV, video games, boxing, MMA etc etc.

:thumbsup: :bowdown:

I like the reference of strapping ourselves to ACME rockets. I was thinking along those same lines myself.

I personally don't care whether a person wears a helmet or not, in my mind, they are realistically only going to hurt themselves. That being said, we have had a helmet law as long as I can remember, and you simply don't hear complaints about wearing them around here, be it from sport bike guys, harleys, cruisers, whatever. It seems to me that once the law has been around long enough, it just becomes accepted as common practice and no one even thinks about riding without one. I know I would feel very naked on my bike without a lid.

I was recently in Houston for about a week on a buisness trip and got into a conversation with some bikers at a local bar about helmets. Every guy I talked to about it swore up and down that helmets kill. They had a multitude of reasons why, breaking necks, decreased vision etc, but I was amazed how tightly they had their eyes closed to the actual proven facts of the matter. I didn't really argue with them too much, but also didn't see many helmets on the bikers down there.

My Uncle left me with some words of advice when it comes to helmets. When you need one you can't say "time out I needed to put on my helmet."

For those of you that wear one some of the time I hope you always guess right.

I live in Idaho where there is no helmet law, But I still wear a full faced one. This is due to the rocks that bounce off my vizor. I also ride with my vizor down after I had a bug fly into my helmet and crawl into my ear. It was horrible! All I could think about was Star Trek 2 when those bugs were put into there helmets. And I still had to maintain control and find a safe place to pull over.

Back