Plugging a tire

JBD BUSA

Registered
Found a nail in my back tire that just happens to be leaking. The tire has probably 90% tread left so I cant lie im thinking about plugging it, If it was the front I would never do it but since its the back im considering it, has anyone ever tried plugging a tire on a bike?

Brother, dont waste your time plugging the tire, Just bite the bullet and buy another... I just picked up a 16p nail in my Dunlop Qualifier w/less than 800mil on it, and the stealership want 284.00 plus tax. Dayum it sucks

Pull the wheel and get yourself a new tire. Your safety isn't worth risking with a tire plug.

If you absolutely need to make a repair, use a mushroom plug from the inside of the tire, and then add a cold patch over the mushroom. I would also ride on the conservative side until a new tire could be installed.

I would strongly advise that you use plugs, and even patches for emergency use ONLY! You only have two wheels on the road, and you are on one powerful bike that can really put stress on the tires.

I had a nail in my rear tire @200 miles, and it killed me to do it, but I bought a new tire. Safety first, and foremost, brother!

beerchug.gif

I know people who have used a patch/plug, but not just a plug. Buy a new tire, I would.

I found a small nail in my PP 2ct rear less than 300 miles after installation. I had it repaired at a motorcycle tire shop, where they patched it from the inside. I had the tire installed at 3,400 miles and just had it replaced on Monday at 10,533 miles, it never gave me any problems and I rode on it pretty hard!

i have used plugs without any trouble also, however i wont do a plug if something has penetrated the side wall & i wont plug a front tire either.

Have the tire patched from the inside. You'll never know it happened while your riding. No sense in throwing out a perfectly good tire if it can be correctly patched.

Tire must be repaired PROPERLY. Mushroom plug from inside.

I did that for 20 years, not a single problem. Just don`t ride it to 180MPH.

I found a small nail in my PP 2ct rear less than 300 miles after installation. I had it repaired at a motorcycle tire shop, where they patched it from the inside. I had the tire installed at 3,400 miles and just had it replaced on Monday at 10,533 miles, it never gave me any problems and I rode on it pretty hard!
what kinda tire you get over 7k miles out of?
some type of pirelli, i assume?
that's fantastic, over double the mileage i get now

Get it plugged in a shop with the type that has to be installed from the INSIDE out. So the tire has to come off the rim. This type of plug is very safe.

One note though, your tire will no longer be Z rated. So no sustained high speed riding. My rule for speeds on a plugged rear was no sustained runs over 100mph and never over 140mph indicated.

Couldn't have ridden it that hard if it lasted over 7000 miles...

Couldn't have ridden it that hard if it lasted over 7000 miles...
For a repaired tire I consider riding in excess of 1**mph on a regular basis
whistling.gif
pretty hard. It is possible cause I'm cool like that! I'm Paderolis and I approve this message. BTW it was a Power Pilot 2CT
thumb_up.gif

When the any tire is plugged it no longer carries a speed rating.

so if you never intend to bust 80mph you probably will be okay.

The real problem is no one can see inside a tire and know how much damage a puncture has done to the integrity of the tire.

I have plugged many tires on patrol cars and motorcycles to get me by until a new tire could be installed.

I do not feel "safe" on a damaged tire.

Even though many people post no problems, they may have better luck than me.
Murphy's law is always there to consider.

Murphy's law is an adage in Western culture that broadly states "if anything can go wrong, it will." It is also cited as: "If there's more than one possible outcome of a job or task, and one of those outcomes will result in disaster or an undesirable consequence, then somebody will do it that way"; "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong"; or, "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way". The saying is sometimes referred to as Sod's law or Finagle's law.

I stock all these if you want me to send one out: http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html

The text book says replace it, but obviously your responses are predictably split 50/50.

Even if you haven't carried on before, carrying a tire repair kit with you is a good idea. They're really small and easily fit in the tail section of the busa. I even have that, plus the gauge, plus the Air Compressor stored in the tail section of my busa. Have patched a bunch of tires on side of road through the years.

Small holes you can easily plug with the Stop-n-Go kits which use mushroom plugs.

Any type of slash or gash, you're done. Like this one. This sucked. Had to look up local bike shop and pay full price for everything to get that rear swapped out in middle of ride.
sad.gif

IMG_8525_tire.jpg

there are quite a few of us on here that will plug/patch a tire and ride on it...however, as previously stated, the tire will no longer be Z rated so ride accordingly...this is a pic of the type i use
beerchug.gif

IMG_0353__Large_.JPG

Back