Plugging a tire

I've plugged a few tyres as a temporary repair. Y'll find that the plug is realively safe in not coming out of the tyre, since it will have a loop inside. But if one presses on the plug from the outside it will come loose and get inside the tyre quite easily. I also beleive it can turn into resonance at high speeds and then get chewed off inside or even be dragged into the tyre. I would never use a plug on a tyre which is runned a higher speeds. In case one always stay within the speed limits it should normally be OK though, but even then there is no guarantee since the plug can fall off into the tyre if you hits a small stone at walking speed. This is the kit I'm using for temporary repairs, it have saved me more than once.

repsats.jpg

i had my doubts, but a properly repaired tire (with a patch/plug combo (like a large flat mushroom) from the inside can be very effective IF DONE CORRECTLY.

I picked up a nail in my brand new tire. Everyone told me to replace it, so I did. A friend of mine offered me $100 for the practically brand new Metzeler M3. He patched it himself (not just a regular emergency roadside plug) and got over 5000 km on it. That's doing wheelies, burn outs, high speed sweepers, etc. He rides a 98 SRAD Gixxer.

puncture_ill_sm.jpg

I have been lucky enough with only 2 patched tires, both of which I was able to air and make it home to dismount and remount with an inside tire patch.  Rasping out the hole has never made sense to me on motorcycle tires, too little area to intentionally make the hole bigger so you can patch.

On the road fixes are a different story and if I have to plug I would replace when you have the parts, but with mine I ran the patches until the tire tread was toast.

Plug it and ride!!!
Centrifugal force will keep a loop type vulcanizing plug on firmly. In four years of reading these types of threads about replacement or plugging nobody has reported a tire failure or disintegration.
I have always said "patch it" based on personal experience with punctures due to screws and nails that have withstood sustained high speed driving and rev limiter runs.. But, I am just another crazy busa rider.

i pick up 2 nails last year.. plugged and patched both.. drag raced on them all season and rode on the street. no problems.

I have rode a mushroom plug till changing time no problems, but I was always aware it was there and rode accordingly.

I stock all these if you want me to send one out: http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html

The text book says replace it, but obviously your responses are predictably split 50/50.

Even if you haven't carried on before, carrying a tire repair kit with you is a good idea. They're really small and easily fit in the tail section of the busa. I even have that, plus the gauge, plus the Air Compressor stored in the tail section of my busa. Have patched a bunch of tires on side of road through the years.

Small holes you can easily plug with the Stop-n-Go kits which use mushroom plugs.

Any type of slash or gash, you're done. Like this one. This sucked. Had to look up local bike shop and pay full price for everything to get that rear swapped out in middle of ride.
sad.gif
Holy crap pash! wow long time no see around here, how goes it out west?
hello.gif

I have run on plugged tires with no problem. Harbor Freight sells a nice tire plug kit.
thumb_up.gif

I just bit the big bullet and replaced a fairly new rear tire on my Busa!! That sucked spending the money but wasn’t sure if I should have it patched/Plugged. I ended up plugging the tire myself just to get my bike in town to the shop for a new tire. It wasn’t a question of having it repaired because no shop would touch it for liability reasons. But after reading some of the posts it looks like some of you were able to have your tires patched. I would have felt okay with an internal patch but like I said no one would touch it, plus the wife demanded I spend the money. And for peace of mind in the end I think it was the right decision.

i have used green slim to fix my tire and i havent had any prob, iam not pushing 180mph but i able to ride when i want. i got a nail about half of the summer last year and my tire is still inflated.. but iam am getting a new tire in feb

10-04-08_0840.jpg

Plugging is fine until you get another tire. As long as it's in the middle and not on the side of the tire. If it comes out, the tire will stay somewhat inflated until you slow down and stop. I've done it for years. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
I plugged a new tire on my Ducati, and the tire held up fine until I had to replace it for wear. It should be fine.

Have the tire patched from the inside. You'll never know it happened while your riding. No sense in throwing out a perfectly good tire if it can be correctly patched.

+1 :thumbsup: happened to me last year. I wasn't gonna waste a perfectly good tire. just don't run it past tripple digits.

Have run tires with the plug/patch combo 3-4 times in a 20+ years and have had no problems.

At the same time I have never ran my motorcycles to 180+ MPH either.

Plug it. No problems! Rasp the hole bigger, super glue the plug, stick it in, pull it half way out, cut it off, let it dry for a few minutes, inflate with air and ride. No problem.

if you're considering repairing then you really have to try and remember you're riding at risk... riding a busa, your bound to give it every once and a while... I would prefer to pay and change, as my temptation will surely blank my memory...

Back