00\' Busa as my first bike...ever?

OB_the Madman

Registered
Hello there...

As a new member and biker (getting my license on friday) i have got a couple of questions for you 'Busa lovers:

1. Is the Hayabusa too much for a new biker? Or is it something to "grow" in...

2. Are there a big difference in '99 and '00 models?

3. What about used bikes? Is it safe to buy a '99 Busa with 10-12000 miles on it? What should I look at?

Thanks!

I've read a bit in the other discussion now, and it doesn't sound nice at all...."some even survive" was one comment.

In Sweden where I live my insurance company has told me that one year will cost me USD $5.000....

I think if you make it thru the 1st 500 mi. you'll be ok. Kirk started on a busa and is ok. Still a scary thought to me, streetbike #4 for me.

Since I first read about the 'Busa i have been completely sold on it, it actually is one of the biggest reasons for buying a bike at all...

I could start off with a GSX-750R or a R6, but is that really much better? The 750 has a lot of HP also, but it would'nt be as good on highways....and I expect to use the bike for long rides during the summer.

During our driving school we have ridden Honda CBR-750's which I can control very well. We have even done some drag racing with them...

MadMan,

No matter what bike you get first, other than the busa, you'll end up wanting more power. Does that mean the busa is the right choice? Hardly. It means you learn how to ride safely and technically on something that won't punish you or cost too much when you wad it. Think of it like this...would you want to learn how to swim by being thrown into the middle of the ocean, or somewhere you can stand up if you start to drown?

Kirk is a crazy bastard, but I admire his cojones.

The guy who sold me my Busa said 50% end up tasting pavement in less than 1K miles. IMO walk before you can run. SV650 is a great starter bike w/ some balls.

Keep in mind-Busa paint is $400/gal. One drop off of the side stand you're looking at $1K+. Much more if you crash-$0 if you die in a crash.

I think you are asking the wrong crowd here brother. Start somewhere smaller, anywhere smaller. It will be hard to learn with this much power besides owning a bunch of bikes over several years is one of the beauties of motorcycle ownership. How will you know what you have if you haven't had anything else. Man I think that last one applies to just about ever spectre of life...... I must be a prophet.....

It's all a matter of respect, I guess...but kind of scarry if you haven't at least had some past dirt bike experience. The busa is only my second street bike, but I've had years of experience riding various dirtbikes, quads, etc. Good luck...be carefull.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this board, but here go my 2 cents. My 1st bike was a ZZR1100 on which I did 72000 km in 2 years. My 2nd is now the Busa, but then again I'm 32 so my "Teenager Invincibilty Syndrome" is no longer a factor. One needs to ride to stay alive and enjoy the next ride, ie.
* common sense
* ride with your head, not with the throttle
* respect - the road is not a racetrack
* responsibility
* instinct - think for others
* knowledge of your limits

One rides for oneself, not to prove anything to anybody else. Look deep within yourself as an individual, if there is the slightest bit of doubt, then listen to what the guys have written above. There is no substitute for experience. The problem is you need to stay alive long enough to gain this experience.

We have all been wreckless or done crazy things before, and yet survived, but mostly these are calculated risks. It's your call, but think of all the different factors affecting your purchase, including the insurance costs.

The Busa is an incredible machine in every aspect, with a lot of power, but without self-discipline you can hurt yourself real bad or worse. Don't for a minute think that you will never fall because I can almost bet that nearly everyone on this board has hit the deck at some stage for whatever reason. And do yourself a favour, whatever you buy, dress up with all good protective gear, ie. helmet, leathers, gloves and boots. It will save your skin and possibly your life.

As long as you get 2 wheels you will be able to enjoy it, trust me on this one. Biking is fun, no matter what you're on.

Best of luck and hope you make the right descision.

If your 6'2" you'll hate any 600 bike...Just to fit your height you need to move into a larger bike in general. My buddy is 6'2" and he says his 900RR is to small for him, although he loves my Busa. He rode it about 600 miles this weekend and said he was comfortable the whole time.

Maybe a ride back on my Turbo-Busa will help you to see the proportions of what a Busa can do (with or without the charger).

;) ;)

Seriously, I would suggest that you wait with this brutal bike at least for one season.

Just my .02 cents but I would say go ahead and get the Busa. It's a matter of respecting what you have! It doesn't matter if you buy a 9 second bike (Busa) or a 10 second bike (750 SRAD) if your going to crash your going to crash whatever you buy. I think the Busa is a "good" choice because it is a very very stable bike! My girlfriend, who is 110lbs wet, rides my fully moded Busa with an 8" Trac Dynamics swingarm on it and she is fine. Then again she respects the power and doesn't jump on the bike and wack the throttle. Myself I bought a 600cc CBR and had it for about a month or two and hated it. It was too small and didn't have enough power to keep up with my buddies! So I would say get it but respect it, don't jump on it and see how fast you can get to 200mph or you will die.

I have spent all day now looking for other bikes, mostly Hondas.

Most bikes today have about 110+ hp and weigh almost the same (give or take 40 kg)...

The biggest "problem" is that most of the bikes (GSX750R, Honda CBR600F4, Honda 900RR, Honda VTR1000SP1) cost almost the same or more than the 'Busa. Value for money??

My buddy has a CBR900 RR and it scares the hell out of me. It has too much power for it's wheelbase and is pretty unstable. The Busa is a much smoother bike and a lot more stable. The 600's are nice and stable but there to damn small and to damn slow.

Madman, as far as big bikes go. The 'busa would be your best choice. But to be honest, I'd look at starting with something used that might be modified like a Katana 6 or 750 if they are available there. Hoping on a GSXR-750 or above sport bike can cost you life or limb as your first bike.

Even if you buy something small for a few months then get a 'Busa would be much better for you in the long run.

The "Joker" has spoken.

Is anybody listening??? Does anyone care???

Dang blasted rookies! Ya scare me every time.

** Must be low blood sugar, I need food **

Can't argue with that! I got my -99 for 100000kr and I think it is a lot of bike for not that much money? What about the ensurance? I think it's about the same as for the R1 as they consider the power/weight here in sweden.

Go ahead and buy it i would say....but be careful...I have headbanged the swedish woods a lot of times and its not to pleasant :)

Back