00\' Busa as my first bike...ever?

Well..... Here goes

I had two years in the dirt behind me, never had riden on the street before. I took a AMA course in August 99. Bought a Katana 600 in March 2000.

I was happy with this bike until I took it on the highway, The amount that this bike would shift caused me to be nervous of windblast, which ended up making me not liking the highway at all.

I walked into my dealer to pick up two bolts that had fallen out of my fender (because I did not check it) "lesson learned"

I took two steps back and saw my dream bike. A nice new blue/silver 2000 on the floor. I walked over, sat on it, asked the dealer how much out the door. Got a wicked price and walked out the door with it a couple of hours later.

I was smiling ear to ear when I left the lot.. (you all remember that feeling right?)
I rode it home, showed off the bike to my family. Then decided to ride around on busy streets.

I got out into rush hour traffic, came up to my first set of lights. Stopped. Then proceeded to turn. Let out the clutch slowly (because I was afraid of the power of the beast). Bike started rolling, I put my feet on the pegs, turned and she stalled. (it was in 2nd gear)

Before I knew it the weight over powered me and she headed for the deck. I'm 220lbs and 5'10, and a fairly strong guy, but I was not ready for it.

Damage: Slight nick in the front fender
Damaged brake lever, still useable
Damaged mirror housing
Road rash on the right side plastic

I did not make any repairs except order a new mirror, but I did not put it on.

One month later:

More confident on the beast.

Coming onto a road, car darts in front of me leaving about a foot to stop.
I emergency stop! I get that familar feeling....I am fighting gravity, the incline of the hill... The bike lowers two inches, I pull it up one. I fought this for two minutes. Until I saw the mirror slowly crush under the weight of the bike.

Damage:
Damaged clutch lever, still useable
Damaged left mirror housing
Road rash on the left side plastic
Magneto cover scarred

Still I did not replace parts.....

Last week, while coming around a sharp right hander, I came in too hot, ran wide, hit some gravel and down it went on the right side, then flipped onto its left side.

Damage:

Magneto - $89
Magneto Gasket - $7
Left Side Panel - $735.00
Right Side Panet - $735.00
Replacing Exhaust Cans With Muzzys - $800
Two Mirrors - $117 - each
Clutch Lever - $69
Brake Lever - $117

I am not experienced enough for the Busa. I am stuck with it now, the repairs are being done, I am not having the insurance do it because I want to keep my rates down.

I am well aware of my errors while riding and have learned from them. Just learned them the hard way.

And I can tell you one thing, I do not do stunts or race, I am just a causal rider, (a couple hours at night)

Madman..... It takes bucks to learn my way.... Listen to the other guys here....
They do know what they are talking about!

[This message has been edited by adowell (edited 15 July 2000).]

Hey Madman, here is another thread for you to browse through that may/may not help you on your decision.

If you're really into going fast and don't need a loan to get a bike, then I suggest getting an old racer and getting some track days in this summer. I am quite positive they will improve your skill level exponentially than if you just rode on the street for a couple of years. Or try one of the riding schools like Keith Code's or Jason Pridmore's STAR. These are sure to give you an edge in self preservation and motorcycle handling ability.

Good Luck.

Get the bike and learn all the safety things about the bike and go slow and easy on it. It's no different over here when all these .Dot com guys or RUB's get a Harley,they are all over the Road looking cool but do not know much about their bikes.
Same thing when buying a firearms in the U.S you don't buy a gun and just go out and shoot it you learn all the safety features and learn to shoot it properly. Most guys don't go out and buy a 22cal pistol or rifle they normally buy a 9mm 45cal or 223 or 308 gun or maybe the worlds best cheap gun AK47. Ride safe.

I do have a 2000 Katana 750 for sale with 940 miles on it, has gel seat, aftermarket exhaust, looks better than new. Is red and well, is lound. I have all the stock parts also. Any resonable offer will be considered.
Kurt

Madman, before I saw you last post, I thought I would be going out on a limb to suggest a BMW R1150GS, but since you got a Transalp, I guess I'm thinking in the right direction. My thought was that it might be a better bike in the Swedish climate, particularly farther north. And also, it's a tall bike that might fit your 6'2" size better. I've heard it handles well, is build well, comfortable, solid luggage, etc. Like a SUV motorcycle. Has about 95 HP, and torquey. Doesn't sound like alot of HP compared to the Busa, but you're not going dragracing??
The only bad thing I've read is that someone broke a peg bracket, and the swingarm pivot is engineered through and around the bracket, so a breakage could render the bike inoperable.

MadMan,

If you can afford the Busa, you can afford to take $500 bucks and buy a used rice burner. Ride the sh*t out of it for a month, if you drop it, scratch it, bend it- whatever...no worries. Just dont hurt yourself. Right before your ready to buy your Busa, start practicing your burnouts and pop that back tire!! Then drop that fu*ker off at the local junk yard.

This is EXACTLY what I did for my girlfriend when she wanted a Harley. I bought her a POS used Honda Rebel to let her learn on, she dumped at low speeds a few times, got frustrated and gave up. I gave the bike to a neighbor kid and I avoided having a $10,000 scatched-up Sportster sitting in my garage collecting dust.

I don't care what these guys try to tell you, the Busa is NOT a bike to learn on.

[This message has been edited by Wreak Havok (edited 24 July 2000).]

I know that the bike may be a lot for some, but come on, the thing doesn't weigh much more than 600s used to. My Bus is my first bike. I am at 7000 miles. I have no wimp strips left on my tires. I have seen 205mph on the speedo, and will try for more as soon as I get my new rear tire. I am comfortable with tire spin on the way out of corners. I am getting my toes down at will (I have no peg feelers). I don't panic if the front pushes a little bit. I can nearly balance well enough to do track stands at stop lights. I can rev-match my downshifts. I can hang off about one cheek's worth. I was more likely to dump it at the first light in front of the dealer than I am now. I still have a lot more to learn. I'm not saying that I won't go down, I'm just saying that for me there was no point to get a 600. If you are going to flop, you would flop on a huffy.

Ok guys, I have made the big decision and bought my first bike. Not a Hayabusa (i have listened to your replies) but something much smaller...

I got a 97' Honda Transalp with only 6k miles on it for about $6.000.

This weekend I rode it to the northern parts of Sweden, a trip of about 900 miles (on my first day), to do some offroading...

I have had some great moments already, but there is not much punch is this bike. I will probably switch for a 1000cc Honda Varadera within weeks...

Still: Thanks guys for good advice!

That's the problem I had, I bought a 600 and had to buy a bigger bike within a couple weeks. Not to mention I also have 3 friends who bought 600's and then sold them the same summer to go to 900-1100's.

Back