00\' Busa as my first bike...ever?

Madman, I know it is tempting to get a superbike for your first bike. All you got to do is read these boards to get foaming at the mouth. Believe me when I tell you that any bike will feel like a rocket to you. There are just too many things you need to learn as a new rider to even think about power Just get a 600 of some kind and ride for a couple years. You need to learn a lot of little things. Even pushing a bike down your driveway is not that easy. Get the bike just a little tilted too far to one side and over it goes. Bikes are heavy. You can really feel the difference in the weight of a 600 and say an 1100. Learn to haddle your bike at very slow speed. You won't believe how many people fall over just trying to get through McDonalds. Learn how to stop quickly. Remember you have 2 brakes on a bike. Learn to work both well. A small mistake in a car may mean a bent finder.
There are no finder benders on a bike. Learn that it is mostly cars that turn left infront of bikes that kill the riders. The bike is invisable to the car. Learn how to counter steer. Way too many riders run wide in turns and crash because they don't know how to counter steer. In a car if the turn gets too sharp you can ofter get away with just turning the wheel more. A bike much more than a car wants to go straight. Even more so if you are applying the brakes. Sorry to be so long but I have just seen too many riders lost for no reason. I even read on one of the boards that a girl picked up her 600 and her dad followed her home from the dealer ship. She ran wide in a turn and was dead 15 min. after she got the bike. Get a small bike and ride safe. You can still post here. Ask questions here. There is a lot of experience here for you to draw on.
I started with a Yamaha 350 2 stroke.

By your statement about a driving school, I'll assume that you didn't "learn" to drive a motorcycle there. I've been "doin it" for 40 some odd years, I sincerely believe that the absolute best place to learn all about them is in the dirt. Did that incl flat track, TT, 1/2 mile etc, no more too old and too wise. That said, one can get pavement rash or worse on a 250, the best value for the money is the Busa, just careful conscious attention and respect at all times especially after you assume you know it all, good luck.. Pan

Go for it,
When I was 16 my first bike was a Kawasaki 750 triple,at that time it was the baddest bike on the road,my first snowmobile was a Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 (fastest production sled),it will only go as fast as you pin the throttle,just take your time,and use common sense.

Shhhhh..... What's that sound?????

Oh, it's the sound of a freshly lit crack pipe...

For every guy/girl that posts here with stories about how they were just fine on a big bike, there are HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS of other people that didn't do fine and are not on these boards. Let's not even talk about all the people that dumped their NEW small bikes.

BTW, unless you're math challenged, if you're payin 5k a year for insurance, the Busa is not the best "value".

Buy used. Buy naked. Buy smaller. Buy smart.

Turtle

If you absolutely have to have something with a big engine, try a used Suzuki Bandit 1200. They have been around for a few years, have a lot more torque than a 600, are 30 or 40 pounds lighter than a Busa, are stable, handle well, and don't have as much expensive plastic to replace if you screw up. They also really come alive with just a pipe and jet kit.

You can find a good used one for MUCH less than a new 600.

GEEZ Turtle I THOUGHT I smelled something nasty...so THAT's what it was!

LMAO!

I translated my 188cm to almost 6.4' when I looked at it again....

I have looked at a complete Dainese full leather kit with nice gloves and boots. Also a back protection plate and a good helmet. The Oakley Minute's are non-optional.

I have a nice job and a nice girlfriend already, so my goal #1 is to survive...there is no doubt about that. This is a exciting way to relax on my spare time....

I tried the Honda CBR-600F4 today...pretty small bike!

I am 6.2" so the little bike felt like a 125cc to me, I am used to the 580 pound Honda CBR-750's from driving school.

Pretty nice revs on the bike though, very quick to 60mph. Not very good for driving further than 50-80 miles was my first opinion. This could be very good to put on a track to practice some power sliding and wheelies though. Comments??

I bought a Bandit 600 last year after being off bikes for 25 years. The first few days that I had it, I probably fell over from a standstill, at least three times. The weight of the thing--100 lbs less than the Busa--kept catching me unawares. Fortunately, each time I fell over, my leg cushioned the bike and never suffered any damage from the falls.

The real damage came a couple of months later when I ran off a road, panicked by a car coming wide around a corner in my direction. Wound up replacing forks, headlight and other stuff and had to have the plastic repainted. That was an expensive lesson.

I finally managed to get into an MSF course a couple of months after that and the instruction helped considerably. If I could do it all over again, I would take the MSF course first and then buy a used bike like the Bandit 600.

As it turns out, I traded in the Bandit and bought a slightly used Busa with 2700 miles on it. It's a very forgiving and "driveable" bike, one that even a beginner could manage to navigate with from points A to B. It's all the other skills and knowledge that you need that make it truly dangerous for a novice. Take it easy--I mean that literally.

Ok, I think I have got the point now...maybe next season?

So which bike is best for a first timer? Should it be the GSX-750R or is it too much also? (my saved money is burning through my pocket soon)

Are you smokin' crack? Seriously.....

Why does every newbie on the planet want to wreck a brand new bike? Get yourself a nice used bike and spend that burnin money on a set of NICE leathers and a pretty girl.

Geesh.

Turtle

[This message has been edited by Turtle (edited 11 July 2000).]

Good point Turtle,
I'm a salesman (aka skumbag) and tho a Busa pays a nice commission, I would try my hardest to put you on something used or more forgiving.

Think buddy,
we all had to walk first.

My first '84 Suzuki GS550E

Later

Beginners: Don't be candy-assed CHEAPSKATE wussy-boys, settling for mass-produced weakling machines like Busa's and R1's.

Start with the best:
http://www.maxturbine.com/

All it takes is big balls and a decent credit line.
(sorry, 'lantabusa, I tried to stop, I'm not only a poser, I'm weak-willed.)

I tried the Honda VFR-800FI today, a completely different bike than the 900RR...

More of a touring style ride with 110hp and 210kg...any comments on this bike??

It is renewed in the '00 version with fuel injection and DCBS (some kind of dual brake system)...

I'm goping to have to agree with just about everybody else. Start with something used and smaller. 500-600 cc would be ideal. You will drop the bike. There is no question to that EVERYBODY does. and it's usaully while the bike isn't moving faster than 10 mph.
The busa is a bad azz bike, but you are not ready

Madman : If this is really your first bike and you have no or little riding experience."DON"T ****ING DO IT" you'll end dead or in a wheelchair real quick and I mean real Quick!. Buy a ****in used bike...ride it for a year..take some motorcycle classes..practice practice practice...until you know what the hells going on! Then upgrade.. if you got the balls to handle a the almighty BUSA!!!

Ok guys, your reactions have really put an impression on me, and I will try to get rid of my throttle happiness...

I have spent the last day looking for a smaller bike 600-750 with more of a touring style ride and with a couple of years on the roads. I will keep you posted with my decision...

Next year I will seriously look at the new GSX-R 1000.....if I feel that I am up to it!

Half the fun of motorcycles is moving up. If you start at the top, you'll be missing out on so many exquisite pleasures. I'll never forget the thrill of my new second hand GS1100e after by BMW r75/6. It was like getting on an atomic bomb.
Start small and cheap!
My buddy started on an ST1100 recently. It was way big and he's let it drop six times.

Back