1000 miles in one day

Going to do the 1000+ thing myself in a few weeks. Riding from Kansas City to southern Georgia to see my dad. I'm thinking of stopping in Deals Gap overnight and ride the dragon before heading out the next day. Take lots of breaks and be sure to take some pics for your busa bros.

Not a problem, just pre plan your gas stops, keep hydrated (you fill up your bike, fill up you) and during this time of year with the heat
AAAssjani.gif
get a camal back or sip bottles (what I use) and keep drinking the whole time. Bring snacks, DON'T EAT big meals along the way, but do stop for a sit down meal once. Don't stop, eat and get gas at the same time. Eat somewhere, ride and then fill up. It will add to your rest amount but will add NO additional time. And above all, just relax and enjoy. Should take you 17 to 18 hours and if you get tooooooo tired, STOP and spend the night. You can always make it tomorrow, but not if you get into a crash just because your tooooooo tired !
Have Fun and Keep Safe !

Also if you want to join the Iron Butt Association, just key them up on the net, copy the 1000 mile Saddle Sore rules (real simple) and go ! Also check out the 10 things to do and not to do page! We'll welcome another rider anytime  
race.gif

sounds like someone's trollin....although 1K would be something to achieve!

just under 600 is was my limit too!

you just have to obey the speed limit every now and then!

there a biker version of the cannonball running somewhere?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153006685 -->

sounds like someone's trollin....although 1K would be something to achieve!

just under 600 is was my limit too!

you just have to obey the speed limit every now and then!

there a biker version of the cannonball running somewhere?    
rock.gif
If you decide to do a 1000 mile, you DON'T need to Speed. Infact it's easier if you don't because of the added tension you put on yourself. 1000 miles does seem like a long way (and it is) but it's not that hard if your the type that wants to do it. I try to do about 3 or 4 LD Rally Rides per year (min. distance is 1000 miles in 24 hours) along with hundreds of others nationwide ! It's just like anyone who likes racing at a track or drag racing. If you like it, you can do it ! But you definately need to be a type A pesonality because if not, your going to get real bored
laugh.gif

And NO these Rallys are NOT Cannonball Run Rallys , you get a ticket, or have your sealed envelope open (it has your lis and Insurance card in it) you get a DNF . And that's a real bummer if you've already done 980 miles  
race.gif

think it over carefully - I am ready to pass on to the next world after just 300 miles in the saddle
sad.gif

tomorrow another 300+ miles...I am a dead man...but it was good fun
smile.gif

After my dentist appt. on Friday I ended up riding for about 2hrs (didn't keep track of the miles)... around town and some back roads. When I got home my body felt very light and tingly. That's the longest I've ever stayed on a bike without taking a walk or pee break... not sure if I could handle an all day ride (unless I did it for a good cause).

Got a buddy who does those "iron-butt" things on a V-Strom 650. He just did a 1,500 miles trip in a little over 2 days. He keeps bugging me to go with him, but I'm just not sure I ready for that abuse (I call it that not him). Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.

1000 doable but as stated Hydration and Concentration. THe concentration part always gets me as I tend to zone out so I always have to kick myself to keep up a steady scan of teh road ahead me I ussually play games with myself that are road focussed to keep me alert and ready.

Back