1300r or 12r

JEFFB Don't go to the darkside!!

Get the Hayabusa. Listen to the reformed kawpukes who bought one of Suzuki's finest.
Plus, why wait for the aftermarket to catch up to the ZX12? Pipes, wheels, clipons, rearsets, shocks and forks, bodywork and more is all here NOW to make the Hayabusa what you want. Plus all ther accumulated experience of the owners online who have been dealing with it for nine months now.

1/10 or 2/10 seconds stock in the quarter or another 5 mph top speed (review this site to see how many of us have ever used it, not many) are meaningless when we have Frank Adams and Brock Davidson sharing what it takes to get a somewhat stock Busa into the sevens in two more months for Gainesville. Engine builders are already selling stage 1, 2, or 3 kits to make top speed essentially what you want it to be. Why wait? We did, it sucks.

I think it really depends on what type of bike you want, sport touring oriented or all out sport. Why do you think Kawasaki did not discontinue the ZX11, because the 12R is a big bore 9R, R1, 929RR etc. In my opinion, the Hayabusa is like the next generation ZX11.

I don't think there is enough concrete information available to make a decision between the Busa or the 12. With the Busa you can make a decision based on facts and experiences, the 12 is still hearsay on many fronts. As far as the comparison of the 12 to a full sport bike. I found it quite comfortable to sit on. I am 6' and the reach was nice. I would have a hard time choosing which would be the most comfortable without doing a couple hundred miles on each.
The Busa has an original look to it that the 12 does not have. I like it some days then other days I don't. I personally am getting a 12 next spring. I like the potential for better flickability (lower CG). I like the leaner look of the 12 (although not original).
Now I invite the flames (or flamers, not sure on this site). My wife likes the looks of the 12 much more than the Busa, therefore in order to get another bike I have no choice (when it comes to expensive toys, I leave my pants at the door and beg). I would feel more comfortable about buying the 12 if it was not so expensive, $2k does a lot of mods.
There is my 2 cents, either way you will have an awesome bike. Go with your gut, or just ask your wife if it is a tie.

As KawAbuser pointed out, I owned a ZX-11 and I'm not ready to go back to Kawi. I love my ZX, but now that I've ridden my Busa for 9,500 miles, I'm damn happy with it.

1. Fit n finish much better than my ZX
2. Suspension, no contest - Busa
3. Maintenance intervals (6,000 vs. 16,000)
4. $2000 price difference

There are many additional things that I like about the Busa, but the four listed above are factual rather than my preference.

Back