Are Suzuki UK sort of admiting to a clutch prob?

OB_DangerMouse

Registered
After harassing my dealer to contact Suzuki about my crap grabby clutch, Suzuki UK are sending "modified clutch springs" to be fitted under warranty in a bid to fix my clutch.

Personally I think the clutch springs will probably be heavier giving me a little more feel reducing the symptoms rather than curing the fault. I'm still going to try the Brock clutch mod, but will try out the new Springs first before fitting the mod as an experiment.

At least this is Suzuki kind of admitting to a problem at last!

no they are not admitting a problem there is not one.
I contacted them the first time I took mine on the dragstrip.They know I dragrace mine.
I told them what was happening and that is the way they made the clutch.They told me I could override the symptom by installing heavier clutch springs. Just buy Brocks kit and you will be happy.Or under normal everyday riding conditions the stock clutch is fine.

Johnny, I suspected that heavier springs would disguise the prob ratehr than cure it!
I do not feel the clutch is fine for everyday use, just reasonably hard launches off the lights which is an everyday occurance ends in either wheelspin, wheelies or a stall - I think the clutch is dangerous on such a powerful bike.

The clutch on my R1 is perfect, I can tear off the lights at 8000Rpm dragging the clutch, giving exactly how much bite I want.

I suspect some Busa clutches are worse than others and I've got a particularly bad one.

I doubt it it is just with that my rear wheel torque the back wheel might hop under high rpm deaccels.
When I have the mod in mine and go twisty riding high rpm downshift without knowing what you are doing can make you puckker your underwear.

If you are used to a normal clutch on a high powered bike like I was then deacceleration is not an issue. When I got my clutch modded, I went right back to my normal style of riding. I cant explain it but the mod just feels natural..............

Part of the problem is "too much" clutch, with light springs. (for comfort ?) Found a more usable combination. I am using a lesser number of friction plates, that are individually thicker. Also, to my knowledge, barnett doesn't have a clutch specifically for Busa. Early 1980's Kawasaki GPZ 750, (and other models fit). The main thing is to make sure that the combination of plates used stack to 2.00" overall. Am currently using 8 friction plates. Have reorganized steel plates to get stack height. If more detail desired, E-Mail: chrisdolan@webtv.net
View

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 03 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 03 February 2000).]

I understand (could be wrong!) that part of the brock clutch mod involves shimming up the springs, as I'm getting stiffer ones from Suzuki would I need to do this?

I'm going to get my old springs back off the dealer just in case.

Sometimes the problem is dry clutch plates.I'm not sure this is your problem but you might want to check into it.I read somewhere else on this board where someone else had the same problem(grabby clutch)their dealer solved their problem by removing the clutch plates and soaking them in oil.

Back