Clean bike showing all my mods

Dehning

Registered
So I just took some pics of my Busa after giving her a good wash and I thought I'd also get pictures of all the major mods/updates I've done and document them in one thread:

Firstly, isn't it funny how a clean bike almost counts as a mod, you feel great just riding it around when it's clean!

1-clean.jpg

2-clean.jpg

OK, down to the mods:

In this pic I show the Gen II pipes that I fitted to my Gen I, they use the Gen I mid-pipes and a little bit of ingenuity for fastening, but they fit great and are very quiet and I like the way they match the black/chrome theme. This pic also shows how I removed the ugly stock round reflector US bikes come with and used some DOT reflective tape just ahead of the taillight.

3-pipes-reflector.jpg

This pic show the budget (~$140) chinese rotors I fitted a while back, any concerns I have about them have long since vannished, combined with the cheaper ($45 for all) sintered pads from Sixity on eBay & some stainless lines, they grab very well and I'm very confident in the brakes now.

4-rotors.jpg

I fitted one of those cheap LED taillights off eBay too (~$25), they are easy to mount and compliment the clean tail appearance. I had concerns about the brightness, but a buddy rode behind me yesterday and says they are just fine. That rear seat latch is from a 2008 GSXR1000 BTW!

5-taillight.jpg

My bike came with a pile of parts that I have slowly fitted over time, one of which was the HID setup. I actually fashioned a little mounting plate to hold the transformer in the space on the opposite side from the fuses. HIDs are great, but I still maintain that DDM tuning is the only place to go for HIDs. My bike didn't come with a headlamp BTW, so I actually ended up getting the lens from an eBay seller in England for $150 and it came complete with the little running light which actually has a connector on the bike already.

6-HIDs.jpg

In the extra stuff that same with the bike was also a metal fan which I finally got round to fitting a week or two back, it could be my imagination, but it seems like the fan runs for a much shorter period when it does come on now ?

7-fan.jpg

Lastly, when I got my bike running, the gauges all worked except for the speedo, so I replaced the sensor, which didn't fix the problem. I then replaced the speedo unit itself, still nothing. I figured I must have bought a second dud sensor and replaced it with a 3rd one (off a DL1000 BTW) and STILL nothing! So I picked up a gauge set off a 2003 GSXR750 and after some agonizing research, finally got the pinout worked out. Everything works except the fuel light appears to be inverted, off for needing fuel and on for OK. So I created an adapter from an oak plank and some stainless steel backing and fitted a gear indicator I got with the bike at the same time. I have a digital speedo on my Blackbird and inspite of the arguments to the contrary I have heard, after spending some time with it, I do prefer it. Tach is correct BTW, redline is just 2K too high.

8-gauges.jpg

I've also for a set of Shinko 009 Ravens on the bike and the more I ride on them, the more I like them. Fantastic tire for the price.

So it ain't no dragbike but it shows that you can get a busa looking / running pretty good on a budget!

1-clean.jpg

2-clean.jpg

3-pipes-reflector.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm interesting bike...

oh and the kanjis on ur bike are backwards....

Last edited:
Wow, lots of work on your bike! Some great creativity put in, as well.

hmmm interesting bike...

oh and the kanjis on ur bike are backwards....

Actually they are not backwards, but it looks like the guys who made the fairings used the right Kanji on both right and left fairings because the right looks correct. Too bad the Kanjis are under the clearcoat :duh:

Looks good have you thought of shortening those stock pipes :whistle:

I actually have another set of Gen II pipes that would be perfect test subjects, perhaps I'll try it. Who knows, if I cut them just the right length, I could even have the factory hangers fit :thumbsup:

I'll throw this question out here too:
Does anybody know if a Gen II tank will fit a Gen I ? I assume it has to be close, I just want to know if it will bolt right up.

Gauges.. :thumbsup: Although I would have used a billit/aluminum backing and PC'd it black..

Did you keep track of the pinout for others? :whistle:

Gauges.. :thumbsup: Although I would have used a billit/aluminum backing and PC'd it black..

Did you keep track of the pinout for others? :whistle:

I intend to do a nicer gauge mount going forward, this one is just to stabilize everything. I'm pretty sure I can create an LED bar graph for the gas gauge and I want to separate the blinkers out like they are on the OEM cluster.

... who knows, I might even put in a "Warp Factor" display! :whistle:

Yes I did keep track of the pin-out, I'll post that ASAP.

all in all it looks good. The mounting bracket for the cans would drive me nuts and the grained wood finish of the gauge insert makes me cry a little. Wood shouldn't be anywhere near a jap sportbike. If it were a harley I would have no problem seeing something wooden on it. :laugh:

Back