Clean bike showing all my mods

I intend to do a nicer gauge mount going forward, this one is just to stabilize everything. I'm pretty sure I can create an LED bar graph for the gas gauge and I want to separate the blinkers out like they are on the OEM cluster.

... who knows, I might even put in a "Warp Factor" display! :whistle:

Yes I did keep track of the pin-out, I'll post that ASAP.

I would be interested in this as I love digital speedo's.. A separate thread write up on the gauge install would be great.. Love the idea on a fuel bar graph and separate blinker indicators as well, as that would help complete it..

Great work.. :bowdown:

all in all it looks good. The mounting bracket for the cans would drive me nuts and the grained wood finish of the gauge insert makes me cry a little. Wood shouldn't be anywhere near a jap sportbike. If it were a harley I would have no problem seeing something wooden on it. :laugh:

Awww come on! The Corvettes from the same years had bulsawood as part of their construction, what's a bit of red oak gonna hurt :laugh:

Seriously, now that I have actually done a little work on fitting one, the next one I do will be 2 aluminium plates with separator posts between them.

Brackets for the cans would be easy, but I got to wondering of the Gen II hangers would fix the problem? Need to get the measurements between the 3 holes from somebody to confirm.

Last edited:
The rear hangers I don't think will work.. Front will, I have '08 rear sets on my '00.. :thumbsup:

btw; your in trouble with my Wife.. She caught me on ebay looking at gixxer gauges.. :rofl:

I always think of the ol' station wagons with the vineer on the sides when I think of wood and cars. :laugh: I had made a carbon fiber insert to fill the coid with my gauge cluster. I made it as one piece and mounted it to the back of the cluster.

I like someones idea to shorten the cans. If you chopped them say 2-3 inches shorter then the mounting tab would align. No one would even notice such a small cut in length. :thumbsup:

Awww come on! The Corvettes from the same years had bulsawood as part of their construction, what's a bit of red oak gonna hurt :laugh:

Seriously, now that I have actually done a little work on fitting one, the next one I do will be 2 aluminium plates with separator posts between them.

Brackets for the cans would be easy, but I got to wondering of the Gen II hangers would fix the problem? Need to get the measurements between the 3 holes from somebody to confirm.

I always think of the ol' station wagons with the vineer on the sides when I think of wood and cars. :laugh: I had made a carbon fiber insert to fill the coid with my gauge cluster. I made it as one piece and mounted it to the back of the cluster.

I like someones idea to shorten the cans. If you chopped them say 2-3 inches shorter then the mounting tab would align. No one would even notice such a small cut in length. :thumbsup:

Carbon fiber would be sweet :thumbsup:
I've been thinking about the muffler shorting idea and there's one small problem: The front of the Gen II mufflers are actually solid (Not a cap riveted onto the can) so I might not shorten from the front, just off the rear and keep with my adapter plate for the hanger.

i like the bike aside from some minor things, that are tolerable, the Kanji thing would bother me too no end, just my 2 cents, the gauge set is cool, I know you were probably just mocking something up for something better down the road with the wood back piece but man I got to give you credit she looks good, for what budget you had to work with...good job

i like the bike aside from some minor things, that are tolerable, the Kanji thing would bother me too no end, just my 2 cents, the gauge set is cool, I know you were probably just mocking something up for something better down the road with the wood back piece but man I got to give you credit she looks good, for what budget you had to work with...good job

I might be able to use an Xacto knife to cut through the clear coat, but I have a feeling I may end up making bigger problems for myself.

One of the coolest things about trying things like the wood is that it gives you all kinds of insite for the next time you attempt it :thumbsup:

Anyways, the bike as it stands probably has a little less than $4K in it so I'm not complaining.

The rear hangers I don't think will work.. Front will, I have '08 rear sets on my '00.. :thumbsup:

btw; your in trouble with my Wife.. She caught me on ebay looking at gixxer gauges.. :rofl:

Great, now I'm in trouble with 2 wives !

If you are looking for GSXR gauges, get the 01-03, and preferably get the 1000 gauges, the redline is closer to right!

BTW, the fuel LED is definitely reversed, it's on when there's fuel and off when it gets close to empty.

Hey bro, It is your bike. If you like it the way it is, leave it. I think it looks good and I applaud your ingenuity and creativness. I have though about a different cluster for some time now. Hurry and get that mod posted please.:thumbsup:

I thought you guys might like this too:
I'm making up my own gauge faces and test printing them on a laser printer, will probably do the final with a combination of transparency film and white plastic sheet. (There is a glow sheet behind the face that lights up when the ignition is on BTW)

I took the gauge face from the GSXR750 and cut off the top 2K and moved the red-line down 2K, then threw in a few logos for grins:
9-gauges.jpg

Nice ride and good work, shows for it, are those those aucmarts fairings, if so im impressed in how they came out...:thumbsup:

Just finished installing my new "undented" tank :thumbsup:

Also took another member's advice and changed the way I mounted the Gen II pipes so that they sit closer in. I have to agree, I think it definitely looks better :thumbsup:
We'll just have to see if the swingarm hits the muffler or not, so far I think it's OK

newtank1.JPG

newtank2.JPG

newtank3.JPG

Back