Dialing In a New Busa

G

Mine still hasn't come in yet but Frank has me thinking.

What would you guys do to a fresh out of the crate Busa before riding. I'm not talking about mods now. Just set up and tuning.

My ideas
1. set levers for my hands size.
2. set suspension sag for my weight w gear on
3. harden suspension ???
4. Check Oil, Tire pressure (42psi) Coolant Clutch fluid etc.
5. set idle to 1150 and check TPS. Set TPS so it's in the middle at idle and jumps to up position at 2500 rpm.
6. Oil chain and verify the tension is correct.
7. Sync throttles
8. Make sure windscreen screws are tight
9. Check plug gap.
10. Air bubbles out of coolant & fan wire plugged in
11. Obviously gas it up with ? Premium ??

What else ??? The long term owners ought to
have some good ideas for us FNG's.

Lyle, why don't you put maybe 1000 miles on it before screwing around with anything but the suspension. The only problems I had with mine in 7500 miles were two ten second cutouts spaced 1200 miles apart. Others might have had more trouble but I think, in general, the busa comes out of the box in pretty good shape.

The first item to address is put blue loctite on the nuts for both hand levers I do it on my setups , I do not recommend premeium fuel till you can adjust timing Suzuki sets the timing for regular( if it pings or you have oxyenated fuel run 89)TPS adustment if the dealer didnot do it.And the dealer should have burpred the system. I may be the exception but the dealship and/or mechanic should have pride in what the service I do! If not find onewho does it is your money!!!

I waited all of two miles before the stock pipes on one came off...make some noise!!!! Big Ed`s got the right idea!!!!!

I agree with Cbx here, Get that pipe off there so it can breath!

Lyle, By all means...Don't just put the key in and go!!!
You should do everything you said. I'll be the first to tell ya...DON'T TRUST the DEALERSHIP! Most of these places just slap'em together and run them out the door.

Go over everything with a fine tooth comb. This will also help you to get to know your bike better!
Listen for strange noises.
Check your rotors and calipers for tightness!

Like in my case, Check your Front End steering beerings!(I crashed because of this!)

Also in my case it didn't take much to stretch the chain so keep an eye out for that during your first couple of hundred miles.

Start thinking about the little things you want to do.
These 2,000 will start poping everywhere, it's nice to have something different from the other guy pulling up on his 2,000...

Think about in the spring, How many 2,000 do you think you'll see with something like a polished frame?

Get a jump on'em Lyle!....

....Frank

I agree with Cbx here, Get that pipe off there so it can breath!

Lyle, By all means...Don't just put the key in and go!!!
You should do everything you said. I'll be the first to tell ya...DON'T TRUST the DEALERSHIP! Most of these places just slap'em together and run them out the door.

Go over everything with a fine tooth comb. This will also help you to get to know your bike better!
Listen for strange noises.
Check your rotors and calipers for tightness!

Like in my case, Check your Front End steering beerings!(I crashed because of this!)

Also in my case it didn't take much to stretch the chain so keep an eye out for that during your first couple of hundred miles.

Start thinking about the little things you want to do.
These 2,000 will start poping everywhere, it's nice to have something different from the other guy pulling up on his 2,000...

Think about in the spring, How many 2,000 do you think you'll see with something like a polished frame?

Get a jump on'em Lyle!....

....Frank

Firm up the suspension, comes way to soft from the factory. Try this:
Front: Preload 2.5 lines showing, Compression out 2 clicks, rebound out 2

Rear: 1.25" sag, compression out 5, rebound out 7

[This message has been edited by JohnnyB (edited 23 December 1999).]

"Put the key in and put the hammer down!"

Another valuable safety tip for first time Hayabusa owners brought to you by Big Ed's Safe Riding School :)

The management at the Big Ed’s rider safety school would like to go on record in saying that we in no way condone the unsafe use of a motorcycle. This includes Wheelies, Stoppies, Burn-outs, knee dragging, lane slashing, Old lady strafing, Cop taunting, etc. However we feel that putting the hammer down is subject to interoperation and can be done in some cases.

Big Ed’s rider safety school excepts no responsibility for the safety of our students. Behaving like a squid is done at the riders own risk.

Kawabuser

I remember the complaints about false neutrals a while back. The fix appeared to be the adjustment you speak of. How do you adjust it? Down I guess.. How far worked for you?

First time rides should be initiated with caution. Most important: the tires need to be scrubbed in! I have know of several guys that "got on the throttle" with new tires and ended up scratching plastic. Don't be one of those guys. A brand new scratched 'Busa will make you sick at your stomach!!

Falcon Thanx for the timely tip. All I have ever owned is very used bikes where scrubbing the tires wasn't an issue.

You undoubtedly saved us FNG's some pain.

Be Nice to her and break her in, gives you an excuse to adjust to "sneaky power/speed".
Oil out at 100 miles and again at 500 miles. Mineral oil first--synthetic/semi synthetic later.

5. tps should jump to the up position at 2000 rpm not 2500. Should be in middle at 1150-1200 rpm.

Do you guys adjust your suspension when you change tires brands, as described in the Feb 2000 (out this month) Sport Rider mag. See pg 45. Simply put, change the fork height for differences in different tire maker's diameters?

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 22 December 1999).]

Back