Gen 2 horsepower mods and tuning questions

Quiksilver

Registered
Hello all. I purchased a gen 2 a little over a year ago. Before that I owned a turbo gen 1 (I miss dearly). My plans for the gen 2 were to pay it off then turbo it. I didn't want to touch anything on this one, just send it to boosted cycle and pick it up. For now that plan will have to be be put in hold, so I am interested in some cheaper alternatives for the time being. The only mods the bike has is the brocks CT single can system and pcv. I have inquired about a pump gas/mr12 ECU flash and am really interested in that option. I would rather get the bike tuned through the ECU and ditch the pcv. I have a friend with a new gsxr1000 that had his flashed by the same place in question and he says it really woke his bike up. The next option was dry nitrous, after some research it seems the gen 2 is limited to 30 or 40 shot in stock form because the valve springs are weak and sometimes spits keepers. So I was thinking of going with a 30 shot with some type of progressive control, possibly ECU editor or the nos 2 stage progressive controller. Lastely I was contemplating coremoto forged wheels. I know this isn't directly increasing horsepower but would offer better handling and acceleration. I feel this with a tune might be my best overall option for performance and looks, but a good bit more expensive than the other options.

Truth be told I got walked bad when I ran the 1000. If I get the jump I can stay ahead sometimes. Foot shifting with no quikshifter and out ponied I'm not in his league. I have someone else that's been hiding talking trash with an older zx10 that I heard had some motor work recently. He's scared to race from a dig and I don't think my bike would stand a chance against his in a highway roll. Im leaning toward the nitrous to get some quick power but don't want to grenade the motor. I remember rj put down a substantial amount of power and am curious if the wheels were bulk of it.

What do you guys think?

BUS3A6-2T.jpg

Screenshot_20210715-131954.png

Screenshot_20210715-131442.png

I hate to say this but being such an old platform as the Hayabusa is, there are a myriad of threads on this topic...

Liter bikes have been nipping at the heels of the Hayabusa for a long time.

If you ask more than a few on this forum, the best modification is to put the old gal on a diet, losing weight on a Hayabusa is as good as anything...it already has enough hp and great torque with bolt on mods....

I hate to say this but being such an old platform as the Hayabusa is, there are a myriad of threads on this topic...

Liter bikes have been nipping at the heels of the Hayabusa for a long time.

If you ask more than a few on this forum, the best modification is to put the old gal on a diet, losing weight on a Hayabusa is as good as anything...it already has enough hp and great torque with bolt on mods....
I know they're a ton of topics and was prepared to get flamed. I've done some research and ended up at the mods listed. As much fun as hanging out with the search button is, I like starting threads and talking about my bike lol.

I know they're a ton of topics and was prepared to get flamed. I've done some research and ended up at the mods listed. As much fun as hanging out with the search button is, I like starting threads and talking about my bike lol.
Of course, of course.....it is always fun to get a new thread going....

It's tough to hang out with the liter bikes these days unless you want to spend lots of money to do it..

Yessir it is! When I had my gen 1 with a bad tune I didn't blow past the zx like I thought. In all the years I owned that bike I didn't race many people. I went to the drag strip once or twice but was plagued with problems (my fault) and never ran under 10 seconds (I know). Came to the conclusion I didn't need to keep up with the Joneses, then got my mirrors blown off lol. That's where the thread came in, I went back and forth on what to do. Something has to shake, my bikes fast but not fast enough, never is. I would really like new wheels to mix up the look as most models have the same wheels I was focused on appearance mods at first, carbon fiber, painting brocks CT system and rear sets black, wheels etc. But my thirst for speed has reared its head again lol.

Yessir it is! When I had my gen 1 with a bad tune I didn't blow past the zx like I thought. In all the years I owned that bike I didn't race many people. I went to the drag strip once or twice but was plagued with problems (my fault) and never ran under 10 seconds (I know). Came to the conclusion I didn't need to keep up with the Joneses, then got my mirrors blown off lol. That's where the thread came in, I went back and forth on what to do. Something has to shake, my bikes fast but not fast enough, never is. I would really like new wheels to mix up the look as most models have the same wheels I was focused on appearance mods at first, carbon fiber, painting brocks CT system and rear sets black, wheels etc. But my thirst for speed has reared its head again lol.
Weight saving, ceramic bearings, ECU flash will probably be your best bet..

The alternative is to change platforms....a rather expensive way to go and you could turbo your gen 2 cheaper

This was my gut feeling before the beat down lol. From what I remember lighter whes dramatically changed the handling characteristics of the busa for the better. The wheels and ceramic bearings would be around half the price of a turbo system but that's before labor to install, tune, and the trips I would have to take. I'm not ready to install a turbo on this one, haven't even changed the oil myself yet, don't judge me, I will next time...

This was my gut feeling before the beat down lol. From what I remember lighter whes dramatically changed the handling characteristics of the busa for the better. The wheels and ceramic bearings would be around half the price of a turbo system but that's before labor to install, tune, and the trips I would have to take. I'm not ready to install a turbo on this one, haven't even changed the oil myself yet, don't judge me, I will next time...
It's a tall order to try and keep on top of the heap....technology just keeps trudging forward....

The Hayabusa s a capable platform but to make it a dominator takes a pile of effort and when you're done, depending on which route you took, it will have limitations.

It's very easy to add power and lose weight on a Busa. What is your size and weight compared to who you're racing?

Either way, a head/cam package, bigbore, or Turbo will have you walking away from most bikes you'll come across if you're average or smaller size rider.

Hello all. I purchased a gen 2 a little over a year ago. Before that I owned a turbo gen 1 (I miss dearly). My plans for the gen 2 were to pay it off then turbo it. I didn't want to touch anything on this one, just send it to boosted cycle and pick it up. For now that plan will have to be be put in hold, so I am interested in some cheaper alternatives for the time being. The only mods the bike has is the brocks CT single can system and pcv. I have inquired about a pump gas/mr12 ECU flash and am really interested in that option. I would rather get the bike tuned through the ECU and ditch the pcv. I have a friend with a new gsxr1000 that had his flashed by the same place in question and he says it really woke his bike up. The next option was dry nitrous, after some research it seems the gen 2 is limited to 30 or 40 shot in stock form because the valve springs are weak and sometimes spits keepers. So I was thinking of going with a 30 shot with some type of progressive control, possibly ECU editor or the nos 2 stage progressive controller. Lastely I was contemplating coremoto forged wheels. I know this isn't directly increasing horsepower but would offer better handling and acceleration. I feel this with a tune might be my best overall option for performance and looks, but a good bit more expensive than the other options.

Truth be told I got walked bad when I ran the 1000. If I get the jump I can stay ahead sometimes. Foot shifting with no quikshifter and out ponied I'm not in his league. I have someone else that's been hiding talking trash with an older zx10 that I heard had some motor work recently. He's scared to race from a dig and I don't think my bike would stand a chance against his in a highway roll. Im leaning toward the nitrous to get some quick power but don't want to grenade the motor. I remember rj put down a substantial amount of power and am curious if the wheels were bulk of it.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 1637977

View attachment 1637978

View attachment 1637979
don't forget to change the 5th & 6th gearing(transmission)......for true high speed runs.;)

It's very easy to add power and lose weight on a Busa. What is your size and weight compared to who you're racing?

Either way, a head/cam package, bigbore, or Turbo will have you walking away from most bikes you'll come across if you're average or smaller size rider.
I'm taller than they are by a few inches (6ft) weight is about the same at 205.

My last bike was turbo and I said I wouldn't go back. Buuttt that was crazy talk and plan on turbo or big bore but that's a ways out. For now I think I will have to try bolt on mods wheels nitrous etc. I am still paying on the bike and the plan was to turbo after it's paid off.

One thing I remember about rj was the weight saving mods. I started looking at titanium fasteners and boy, that gets pricey quick!

I'm taller than they are by a few inches (6ft) weight is about the same at 205.

My last bike was turbo and I said I wouldn't go back. Buuttt that was crazy talk and plan on turbo or big bore but that's a ways out. For now I think I will have to try bolt on mods wheels nitrous etc. I am still paying on the bike and the plan was to turbo after it's paid off.

One thing I remember about rj was the weight saving mods. I started looking at titanium fasteners and boy, that gets pricey quick!
@c10 did a pile of weight saving exercises on RJ....lighter everything he could get his hands on..

Weight saving will be your best bet, the bike has the power and torque, it just weighs a hundred pounds or more than the bikes you want to run against...

Bryan has many threads on here of how he worked on lowering the weight of RJ....

The old adage comes in mind here..."you have to pay to play"

Reactions: c10
Have about 70% titanium fasteners including axles. The axles alone are about $700 USD! I'm sure it helps but I don't think it is going to make that much difference. I think targeted reduction is good enough:

1. Titanium pipe (assuming you are starting from OEM).
2. Wheel - as light as possible
3. Suspension - Ohlins are lighter
4. Aluminum tank
5. Calipers - Some upper-range Brembos are lighter.
6. CF airbox
7. Lighter swingarm
8. 520 chain (dangerous)

Another big thing is to practice getting into the bubble. In your tuck, you will feel it when the bike's aerodynamics creates a bubble of dead air around you and the bike zooms up to max speed. Know this position and how to get in it when you need to.

On the engine there are cams, porting the heads and tuning. Good full pipe. the standard stuff. By the time you do all this stuff you will be way past the cost of a Stage 1 turbo, and the turbo would still be faster. Not a racer but that's my two cents.

What do you guys think?

if you really want a "huge pack" of a lot of more power
dig ´n grab deeply in your pocket / wallet and spend a lots of money
and get a turbo - anything else is only fumbling arround !

What do you guys think?

View attachment 1637977

View attachment 1637978

View attachment 1637979
I did a little researching about ceramic bearings on a dyno after seeing rj's numbers and while I don't think it was the bulk of it I do believe the ceramic bearings and lightweight wheels played a part in his numbers. I will say I've never ridden with a quickshifter until I put the healtech unit on my gen 2 and even with just using the stock settings on it out makes a big difference when I hit it against some liter bikes and even the b king i ride with occasionally. I think if you go the route your thinking with the rims and have the ceramic bearings throw a quickshifter on it and maybe get it tuned you'll be right there with that 1000 and good chance in front of him.

I did a little researching about ceramic bearings on a dyno after seeing rj's numbers and while I don't think it was the bulk of it I do believe the ceramic bearings and lightweight wheels played a part in his numbers. I will say I've never ridden with a quickshifter until I put the healtech unit on my gen 2 and even with just using the stock settings on it out makes a big difference when I hit it against some liter bikes and even the b king i ride with occasionally. I think if you go the route your thinking with the rims and have the ceramic bearings throw a quickshifter on it and maybe get it tuned you'll be right there with that 1000 and good chance in front of him.
I forgot to mention the quickshifter..it sure does make a big difference in gathering speed...

Lightweight wheels and ceramic bearing , are always going to help , quick shifter can definitely shave off time , but you will need more to slap a new 1000 etc. . IMHO You need a total package , proper tune (maybe race fuel ) , big weight reduction , and all parts selected to be known good proven components .
Just for example , have a look at youtube vids of EJR Racing Megatron build Gen 2 , as an extreme example of stripped down , super light machine . Tuned very well N/A and it is v fast , but still not able to quite match some of the quickest new bikes with similar setups .
Something you can put together , to match your wallet will be fun anyway bro , just being more gutsy and able to wrench the throttle open quicker than some other short wheelbase rider may win you a race or two with what you got .
There is always something faster than you somewhere , till you build like the big$boys and go massive turbo hp etc.
toad

The cheapest and easiest thing to do is go find other people to ride with and don't worry about not having the biggest, baddest bike on the block...

If you have to be out trying to out do these other bikes, it's going to cost you...hopefully just in money.

Back