Gen II Busa Newbie -Tires?

So over the years I test rode several Gen 1 Busas....nice bikes, but something just didn't quite click for me. Dealer got in a used (if you can call 2 K miles adult owned perfect condition "used" ) 2008 and I took it on a test ride. Unbelievable - so now, it is sitting in my garage :laugh:

In any case, I have several other bikes - 09 R1; 08 Super Duke; 06 FZ1 ; C14- and have pretty much settled on using Avon Storms Ultra II tires - seem to give a good mix of mileage and handling - the stock Bridgestone BTs (I've got about 3.5K miles on Busa now) look to be needing changed in about another 1K miles -

Question - any experience with Avon Storms Ultra II tires on Busas? I'm suprised by how good the BTs seem to still handle, and have used them before on other bikes, so trying to decide if to just keep with Bridgestone or go to my usual Avons.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Grant

Welcome to the oRg. The Avon Storms are good tires and I have scrapped hard parts (accidently) and they keep me stuck to the road. The new Avon is supposed to be a better tire. The BT-15 is the precursor the new BT-16 and is also a good tire. You cant go wrong either way, it is a matter of preference to you and your riding style. Again, welcome. :welcome:

never used those before. ive always had parelli tires. I found that for tread mileage life and good handling i use strada or i think they are called angels now....Been on the dragon several times with them and they hold like glue....i have heard of a lot of people using avon tires and love the feel from them. oh and welcome to the org. :welcome::thumbsup:

Also look at the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3s. Great tires. Great life, 7500 to 10000 miles and they stick well.
Posted via Mobile Device

It all depends on what u are wanting out of your tires. If u want ultra sticky go with the bto 16's or even the Dunlop Q2s. They will perform well but won't last long at all, especially the rear tires. If u want longevity stick with the Avons. They are great touring tires. I use Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear and Michelin Pure front and i have liked this setup ok. I think others have spoken highly of the bto 16 front and bto23 rear. Decisions decisions:welcome:

Wow, this was me like a month ago.. asking the exact same question.. and got a million answers to. the best advice is this.. i did all my research..:
If you race, get a racing tire.. if you just ride around/cruise, then basically any of them... i was all into the dunlops until I saw research that Dunlop Sportmax Q2's were the best.. then someone else said Shinko's were for my riding style.. cruising basically.. but a deal came on here.. $190 shipped.. SportMax Q2's... i could not pass it up.. if your stock tires hold you just fine, like mine did, then you ride like me.. cruise, but 150 when you want.. so there is no best tire.. all are good. there is no magic tire.. traction, price, tread life,, believe me i looked... All of them will keep you up right... you are going to get a million different responses on here.. i did.. good luck... but i will tell you the best way is to call the guys at Compacc.com and talk to them, they will suggest the best tire based on your riding style.. good luck.. those guys did me right...

Thanks for suggestions - from the various responses, sounds like nothing really stands out for the group - I'll probably go with I can get best deal on - Avon Storms 2, Michelin Pilot 3's, or Bridgestones BTs - as I mentioned, I have Storms on my other bikes, but have found Pilots and Bridgestones also okay in the past.

Thanks for all the responses - and sorry for starting a tire thread - I should've asked something more reasonable, like "What kind of oil do folks recommend?" :laugh:

Competition Accessories has great prices with free shipping.
I've got Avon Storm 2s on my bike and so far (about 2k miles) I like them.
They work great on flat roads, no clue how they handle a curve as I have none :laugh:

:welcome: i realize you didn't mention them but the dunlop Q2's are very good. they warm up fast and hold traction well.

stretch your Busa and you won't worry about what brand of tire... as you'll go thru them in 1000 mile intervals!! Rolling burnouts are an addiction! You can try several different tires a season that way :laugh:

Damn, my stock rear lasted me 1400 miles and I didn't even do any burn outs.

I have the Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. I put about 6K on the rear and it is past the wear bars in the middle. I was going to do the 2CT again on the rear.

Wow, this was me like a month ago.. asking the exact same question.. and got a million answers to. the best advice is this.. i did all my research..:
If you race, get a racing tire.. if you just ride around/cruise, then basically any of them... i was all into the dunlops until I saw research that Dunlop Sportmax Q2's were the best.. then someone else said Shinko's were for my riding style.. cruising basically.. but a deal came on here.. $190 shipped.. SportMax Q2's... i could not pass it up.. if your stock tires hold you just fine, like mine did, then you ride like me.. cruise, but 150 when you want.. so there is no best tire.. all are good. there is no magic tire.. traction, price, tread life,, believe me i looked... All of them will keep you up right... you are going to get a million different responses on here.. i did.. good luck... but i will tell you the best way is to call the guys at Compacc.com and talk to them, they will suggest the best tire based on your riding style.. good luck.. those guys did me right...

Thanks a bunch on this website.....they were much cheaper than anyone else. I saved a total of $40 getting the michelin road 2's, oh and I got them in 2 days too

Hard/medium compound on the rear, and medium/soft on the front. You want mileage and traction, and such a combo gives both. Look at Storm Ultra on the rear, and a VP2 on the front.

Back