Gen1 forgotten??

The gen 1 has it's place and I've seen quite a bit of traffic regarding the gen1...which in itself is pretty amazing considering how long it has been around and out of production...

Not many other older bikes are discussed as much as the Hayabusa...

I have the red/black 1999 Gen 1, awesome bike, have had it 8 years now, 147,000km on the clock, 73,000 are mine!
I've spent a few grand on it, done loads of maintenance on both chassis and engine (bloody external fuel pumps, grrrrr) done the cams and cam-chain, cam-chain guides and tensioner, loads of upgrades, full Akra system etc etc etc.
I'll never part with it, I see it as the pinnacle of my sport bike riding journey, 1989 till current.
I recently bought a 1989 GSXR1100K model, I had one back in 2000, I was disappointed in the power and the cramped riding position. After the Busa, it was not the bike I wanted to ride. I sold it and bought a V-Strom 650, so glad I did.
Below . . . during fuel pump maintenance
below that, at the lake about 5 years ago,
below that, with the chineseium fairing kit fitted.
1659909038737.png

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

I have the red/black 1999 Gen 1, awesome bike, have had it 8 years now, 147,000km on the clock, 73,000 are mine!
I've spent a few grand on it, done loads of maintenance on both chassis and engine (bloody external fuel pumps, grrrrr) done the cams and cam-chain, cam-chain guides and tensioner, loads of upgrades, full Akra system etc etc etc.
I'll never part with it, I see it as the pinnacle of my sport bike riding journey, 1989 till current.
I recently bought a 1989 GSXR1100K model, I had one back in 2000, I was disappointed in the power and the cramped riding position. After the Busa, it was not the bike I wanted to ride. I sold it and bought a V-Strom 650, so glad I did.
Below . . . during fuel pump maintenance
below that, at the lake about 5 years ago,
below that, with the chineseium fairing kit fitted.
View attachment 1654215

View attachment 1654216

View attachment 1654217
I LOVE THIS PAINT

Yeah my first street bike that was mine,,,,,,,, in 1986 I took @GIXERHP brand new 1986 GSXR750 from his shop to go get some tools I couple miles away,,,,,,Got cut off and layed it down All cosmetic so I bought the exact same bike and we swapped everything so the Slab Side Blue White always reminds me of that bike
wow... that's some history... you must be an old fart like myself lol.
That's why I picked that paint scheme from CHINA, coz I had a GSXR1100G Blue/White back in the 90's, great times were had on that bike, so this paint scheme is a bit of a tribute to that old bike.
Great memories...sigh.

thats the one i'm saving up for. It's got to be a Jan or Feb 99 or a late 98. I know it will cost me, but the wife has giving the go ahead, so thats half the battle won
I seen one the other day that is what your after that is being sold/auctioned off by iconic motorcycles in Cali which I'm sure doesn't do you any good being across the pond. And of course I'm sure the price will be ridiculous at the end of the auction but is sure is a beautiful gen 1 copper.

I want a Gen 1. Been desiring one since they came out. I'd like a later model with solid colors, like a red or blue one, preferably in stock condition.

Having a Gen 3 and never ridden the previous ones has given me a feeling of missing out. I feel a void.

As refined as this new one is, I feel safe assuming that the previous generations have an irreplaceable rawness and unquantifiable character.

I want a Gen 1. Been desiring one since they came out. I'd like a later model with solid colors, like a red or blue one, preferably in stock condition.

Having a Gen 3 and never ridden the previous ones has given me a feeling of missing out. I feel a void.

As refined as this new one is, I feel safe assuming that the previous generations have an irreplaceable rawness and unquantifiable character.
The gen 1 (and certain gen 2s) with no nannies is something special...the only control is your right wrist.

I've never had a bike with nannies and have survived just fine even riding in very adverse conditions sometimes.

I do like my quick shifter though...but you can add that to any bike.

I have a Gen-1, Gen-2 engined B-King and a Gen-3. There is a difference but it’s not huge, there’s no dinosaur to starship improvements, the ‘22 model is really only a slow evolution of the original ‘99. I’ve had a few Kwaks too, when I jumped on a H2 SX it felt very “different”, even after predominately riding the Kwak over my Suzuki’s when I jumped on a Gen-3 it had a very familiar feel. Sure it’s a bit more refined and advanced but in some ways it was very much déjà vu of jumping on my new 2004 Gen-1 18 years earlier. I have never been a fan of the Gen-1’s “6 plop” brakes, to me that’s more stand out difference, the brakes have progressed over the years more than most of the bike.

Try and get a go on a Gen-1, I’d love to hear your views.

Last edited:
I've never had a bike with nannies and have survived just fine even riding in very adverse conditions sometimes.

On a normal day to day ride I really don’t notice the tech. It works well and I do like to have a play with it some days but it’s really not intrusive. I can do my regular local Northside loop and not use or notice any of it. It’s there when I want it or play with the settings but its very easy to ride a Gen-3 like a Gen-1 without the launch control, anti-wheelie, traction settings turned on, or on without them coming in.

As I said before, the tech advances in my 1, 2 and 3 are there but for me they really aren’t a game changer or improving or spoiling the experience.

The latest Up-Down quick shifter is good though. The 3 settings and downshift are much nicer than the H2’s version and my aftermarket ones.

I do like the latest models tech, but I’d have been more impressed if it’d had a bigger tank, a full TFT dash, a centre stand option or Kawasaki style frameless factory luggage… but that’s just me.

The gen 1 (and certain gen 2s) with no nannies is something special...the only control is your right wrist.

Exaaactly. This is my first bike with nannies. I have to say, though, Mode A is very useful. I turned off everything in Mode U1 and took off from a dig.

I had no idea a Hayabusa could wheelie so easily and so fast. I quickly put it back in Mode A. It lets me have fun doing short sprints without worrying about the front wheel lifting too much. It lifts, but just momentarily.

I do have my ZX-10R and enjoy that raw feeling even if it's a wheelie monster, but only ride it sparingly. It teases me to go fast. The 'Busa is fun to me even at 35 MPH slalomming manhole covers and potholes on the road.

The quickshifter I do love. Took me a bit to get used to it, but now I love it. Had an Annitori RL on my '04 ZX-6RR back in '12 and that one was fiddly but faster than the 'Busa's.

Back