Generation 3 busa inquiry

Mike Chambers

Registered
Has any owner of the gen 3 busa had starter issues when motor is hot? Mine is new with 2000 kms on the clock and have noticed recently that when the motor is hot and the fan is on it has an intermittent starting problem, there is enough charge going to the starter motor but wont start on first time. Any feedback appreciated if other owners experienced same issue. Cheers mike

Congratulations on your new Hayabusa, lots of talk on here about the gen 3 hot start issue even in other topics not related to the hot start problem. Mine only did that once with about 15 miles from the dealership. Mine hasn’t done it since but it’s always in the back of my mind when I go to start it hot. So far only guesses why they do this, no solid answers or solutions. Not expecting this I really didn’t have enough time to diagnose what was going on but I am very experienced with this sound on hot rods and when mine did this it acted like the pistons were kicking back just before TDC from pre-ignition or too advanced ignition timing, I haven’t tried this but twisting the throttle may allow for cooler air to enter the cylinder thus cooling down the cylinder gases stopping the pre-ignition, I’m not really sure before mine only did it once. I know in my previous comments I stated mine did it twice but later I rethought it I think the second time was something else because I stalled the engine at a stop sign in traffic and I got nervous.

Congratulations on your new Hayabusa, lots of talk on here about the gen 3 hot start issue even in other topics not related to the hot start problem. Mine only did that once with about 15 miles from the dealership. Mine hasn’t done it since but it’s always in the back of my mind when I go to start it hot. So far only guesses why they do this, no solid answers or solutions. Not expecting this I really didn’t have enough time to diagnose what was going on but I am very experienced with this sound on hot rods and when mine did this it acted like the pistons were kicking back just before TDC from pre-ignition or too advanced ignition timing, I haven’t tried this but twisting the throttle may allow for cooler air to enter the cylinder thus cooling down the cylinder gases stopping the pre-ignition, I’m not really sure before mine only did it once. I know in my previous comments I stated mine did it twice but later I rethought it I think the second time was something else because I stalled the engine at a stop sign in traffic and I got nervous.
This is my 5th Hayabusa I've owned , 4th from brand new , did send an email to Suzuki nz as a joke that buy 5 get the 6th free. Still waiting a,response

From my experience the only time I had a Hot Start issue is when the bike was directly in the sun for extended periods of time. Example, ride to work and park her in the sun. Go-to lunch and the bike says nope.

We also have a weird issue with brakes if the bike is off for an extended period of time the brake lever lost all pressure. I don't want to call it a master cylinder issue quite yet, I'm learning towards the ABS module. The weird part is also fluid levels are not dropping nor does it happen when driving her.

Both are going to be figured out and isn't dire. Don't start slapping replacement parts on her yet.

From my experience the only time I had a Hot Start issue is when the bike was directly in the sun for extended periods of time. Example, ride to work and park her in the sun. Go-to lunch and the bike says nope.

We also have a weird issue with brakes if the bike is off for an extended period of time the brake lever lost all pressure. I don't want to call it a master cylinder issue quite yet, I'm learning towards the ABS module. The weird part is also fluid levels are not dropping nor does it happen when driving her.

Both are going to be figured out and isn't dire. Don't start slapping replacement parts on her yet.
I get to wonder just how long it will take Suzuki to issue a TSB to sort out these issues?

Even if they are happening to a small percentage, they are still happening and some sort of correction needs to be addressed.

If I owned a brand new bike and had any one of these issues, I'd be beyond pissed...

Annoying is definitely the word for the brake fade. Sadly disconnecting the harness to the ABS as a test isn't enough. We need someone to outright delete the ABS with new lines. Maybe when BoostbySmith releases the ECU kit someone will that had the issue before the swap and delete can chime in.

Annoying is definitely the word for the brake fade. Sadly disconnecting the harness to the ABS as a test isn't enough. We need someone to outright delete the ABS with new lines. Maybe when BoostbySmith releases the ECU kit someone will that had the issue before the swap and delete can chime in.
Why should you as an owner be forced to come up with your own solution to a known issue....

Suzuki needs to have it's feet held to the fire and sort out the issues in it's flagship bike.

If this were a car, this conversation would be going much differently I reckon..

Yep...don't get me started. R&D for the gen3 is very slow and in my opinion unexcusable.
Could we imagine jumping into a new car and having the brake pedal go to the floor, or going to the gas station to fill up and it not starting or it lurching when shifting gears...

There'd be no excuses or discussion if it were a car that was involved but here we are talking about bypassing a safety systems like ABS just to get the brakes working properly.....

Scary......

Annoying is definitely the word for the brake fade. Sadly disconnecting the harness to the ABS as a test isn't enough.

What happens when you disconnect the harness? Cause if it's just a warning light on the dash I will gladly do an ABS delete. The only problem is nobody makes non-ABS lines so you have to get the bends and lengths custom made. Core-moto does a great job with kits, I've installed their lines on two of my bikes with no complaints maybe they will do custom orders I don't know?!?!?

Could we imagine jumping into a new car and having the brake pedal go to the floor, or going to the gas station to fill up and it not starting or it lurching when shifting gears...

There'd be no excuses or discussion if it were a car that was involved but here we are talking about bypassing a safety systems like ABS just to get the brakes working properly.....

Scary......
All 100% true..

What happens when you disconnect the harness? Cause if it's just a warning light on the dash I will gladly do an ABS delete. The only problem is nobody makes non-ABS lines so you have to get the bends and lengths custom made. Core-moto does a great job with kits, I've installed their lines on two of my bikes with no complaints maybe they will do custom orders I don't know?!?!?

Yes, Core-Moto Will make custom lines for you, whatever fittings, color, and length you like.

Have had no other issues except hot start, if no obvious reason , then any problem is covered by the warranty ( 2 year ). Will watch to see how and when it occurs to look for any consistency in it. But will inform Suzuki nz of what I notice. Cheers

I had an issue one time when I first bought my Gen 3. I accidently stalled the bike, tried to just hit the start button and it turned over really slow. I cycled the key and it started normally with no issue.

I updated one of the "Brake Fade" threads. Suzuki sent a new Front Master Cylinder with the lever attached and the dealer installed it. I haven't had the problem again, so far.
The weird hot-start still comes and goes, but I'll assume that a new (lithium) battery will solve it.

Back