getting back on the horse

000Busa

Registered
Hi all I wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a Gen 1 and it’s been quite a few years since my last bike which was much smaller. “Sv650”. I live in Montana in a very motorcycle friendly area and wanted to get some advice on getting acquainted with my new to me Bike. Both on the street and in the garage. Thanks in advance and proud to be part of this community.

Welcome......

Advice, well first we need to see a picture of your new to you ride, secondly, ride it, that will tell you everything you need to know.

The Hayabusa is a very docile bike until you don't want it to be...it will putt around all day at subdued speeds or rip up the streets all hooligan style....it's up to the rider.

What year is your Gen 1?

Welcome to the forum @000Busa. That SV650 seems like a prolific bike that has made a lot of riders happy.

The weight of sport touring bikes is the biggest challenge to me. Slightly preload the brake when even thinking about stopping in order to ease the weight of the chassis forward. The stock control sadly requires the full pull. Just pull it linearly and smoothly all the way through. Get the bike in that perfect straight line before heavily loading the brake. It is a big challenge with 580+ pounds coming out of tight curves to a stop sign. Spend entire afternoons concentrating just on smooth braking to train the body to do all of this on its own without thinking.

Have the suspension sag set first thing, that is having it adjusted for your weight.
Proper settings make the bike handle excellent, and improperly set will make it handle poorly, give you a bad riding experience, and make you think that the bike itself is no good.
This includes proper chain slack, as too tight results in restricted rear shock travel.
If you are much over 200 lbs you will greatly benefit from different fork springs.
Check your tire pressure before every ride, and know it will increase 2-4 psi as the tires heat up. There are lots of opinions on what works best, but 36psi front and 36 to 38 psi cold gives you a good contact patch of rubber on the road.

welcome to the org

Welcome......

Advice, well first we need to see a picture of your new to you ride, secondly, ride it, that will tell you everything you need to know.

The Hayabusa is a very docile bike until you don't want it to be...it will putt around all day at subdued speeds or rip up the streets all hooligan style....it's up to the rider.

What year is your Gen 1?
Thank you for the warm welcome the Hayabusa is 2000

IMG_1452.jpeg

Welcome to the .org!
I'd recommend practicing the slow speed stuff: parking lot drills, U turns, etc
and 30 hrs seat time every month for the next three months
Bet that won't be hard
Congrats!
Thank you! sound useful advice, really appreciated!

Have the suspension sag set first thing, that is having it adjusted for your weight.
Proper settings make the bike handle excellent, and improperly set will make it handle poorly, give you a bad riding experience, and make you think that the bike itself is no good.
This includes proper chain slack, as too tight results in restricted rear shock travel.
If you are much over 200 lbs you will greatly benefit from different fork springs.
Check your tire pressure before every ride, and know it will increase 2-4 psi as the tires heat up. There are lots of opinions on what works best, but 36psi front and 36 to 38 psi cold gives you a good contact patch of rubber on the road.

welcome to the org
Very helpful! Really appreciated!

Welcome......

What year is your Gen 1?

Looks to be in very good condition, it was looked after for sure...

What does the number "4" signify?
Meticulously taken care of. I have two binders with every maintenance record inspection and receipt. I purchased it from a very good friend who purchased it new 24 years ago. It’s never spent a night outside. I couldn’t ask for anything more.
The 4 is from a track day at Leguna Seca quite a few years ago, if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
. She has 30k on her. I can tell you how many per year of ownership and each maintenance and tire change in between. I have never seen records this well kept. I’d swear if I didn’t know any better I’d think my wife owned it. She’s over the top and borderline obsessive. But wow it’s sure nice having the opportunity to own this beauty…. The bike not my wife.

Damn six, you’re getting as bad with setting the sag as the German dude is for cleaning the calipers.

For the record, you can do neither and the Busa still works quite well. :D

Let me turn some knobs on your bike, it'll take 30 seconds...and you won't recinize it for how awful it will ride.

Back