Hayabusa overheating?

The Gen I's would over heat in heavy traffic, but the Gen II has a beefed up cooling system. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the Gen II.

for gen1 only -

solution see and follow my homepage here
that job i did at all gen1 i had in my workshop with full success !
(I estimate about 100 times to date)

regardless of whether the owner of the haya asked for it or not

My 06 has never overheated. The guage always reads just below the middle. The fan comes on if the needle goes over center. It only goes just over center if I’m caught in traffic but the fan kicks on and it cools right down. Actually, I just remembered. Soon after I got it, idling in my garage it got hot. Turned out the fan fuse went bad so it never kicked on.
Thanks for the info. I just rode my busa today and I did notice that my radiator fan does turn on 20 minutes into my ride when it starts to get hot, but as I continue to ride it longer (40 minutes or so) the radiator fan does not turn on anymore and the temperature gauge begins to rise as I idle at red lights and very slow moving traffic to the point where it will go into the red zone and the red light on the temperature gauge comes on. The temperature gauge only goes down as I ride the bike (wind going through the radiator I assume) I have not check my radiator fluid level or anything of that sort yet. My question is why would my radiator fan work, but as I ride for an extended period of time (40 minutes) it would stop working?

for gen1 only -

solution see and follow my homepage here
that job i did at all gen1 i had in my workshop with full success !
(I estimate about 100 times to date)

regardless of whether the owner of the haya asked for it or not
Thanks for the info. I just rode my busa today and I did notice that my radiator fan does turn on 20 minutes into my ride when it starts to get hot, but as I continue to ride it longer (40 minutes or so) the radiator fan does not turn on anymore and the temperature gauge begins to rise as I idle at red lights and very slow moving traffic to the point where it will go into the red zone and the red light on the temperature gauge comes on. The temperature gauge only goes down as I ride the bike (wind going through the radiator I assume) I have not check my radiator fluid level or anything of that sort yet. My question is why would my radiator fan work, but as I ride for an extended period of time (40 minutes) it would stop working thus causing my bike to overheat?

Thank you for sharing this work around for turning on the radiator fan sooner due to different stages in the cooling process.

Ok. So I just worked on my bike today. Took off the fairings and opened up the radiator cap and the coolant was low... I went to Walmart got some prestone 50/50 drained out the old fluid via the radiator hose on the left side of the bike and filled it up with the prestone that I got at walmart. Ran the bike with the radiator cap off to empty out the air pockets (made a mess doing that) turned of the bike then topped it off with antifreeze. Ran it again in my garage up to the halfway mark to see if the fan would turn on and it did. Hmmmm... why was my radiator fluid low to begin with? The fluid probably isn't oem. It's a Dark green. I'm guessing the last guy who owned it didn't fill it up all the way? I just hope it isn't a head gasket problem :(. Now that the antifreeze is full I'll ride the bike to see if my fan will turn on. I'll keep you guys posted. Also. How do I know if my head gasket is blown?

1000003050.jpg

20240707_075806.jpg

20240707_100356.jpg

I just rode the bike for a little over 30 minutes and I think I just solved my overheating issue. It was just low on coolant. I stopped at a couple of red lights and my temp gauge didn't go past the halfway mark :). I want to see how it fares when ambient temperature is 100f degrees while I'm stuck in traffic

Great
and for refference, if the head gasket did blow, the engine oil would look milkly from coolant mixed in, and you would have steam out of the tailpipe, both caused by coolant entering the cylinder(s).
In rare cases you can have a blown head gasket that only leaks coolant to the exterior, not into the cylinder(s), but you will have a visible leak.
Gen1's benefit from a 2nd fan in hot environments, especially lots of stop and go traffic.
You can also have the ecu flashed, and the fan(s) set to come on 10-15°F sooner.
And, as said above, you can add a manual on switch, so you can turn the fan on in traffic, before it rises higher than normal.

I just rode the bike for a little over 30 minutes and I think I just solved my overheating issue. It was just low on coolant. I stopped at a couple of red lights and my temp gauge didn't go past the halfway mark :). I want to see how it fares when ambient temperature is 100f degrees while I'm stuck in traffic

When it’s cooled down what’s the level in the overflow bottle?

When it’s cooled down what’s the level in the overflow bottle?
I was checking it throughout my ride and the fluid in my overflow tank stayed consistently the same. It was halfway on low and full when I got done riding. Once it completely cools down I will check it again.

Ok guys. So after riding for about an hour and a half today I am happy to say that my Hayabusa never went over the halfway mark on the Temperature gauge. I'm pretty sure I have solved my overheating issue. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes.

View attachment 1685500

That kickstand gives me the creeps, I'de do the kickstand mod before that beautiful classic falls on it's side.

Ok. Bad news. I went riding yesterday and got stuck at a couple of red lights and the busa temperature gauge started to go in the red but fortunately my fan was kicking on this time around. Last time I drained and filled my busa with coolant my temperature gauge never even went over the halfway mark. I changed the oil recently and did not see signs of a blown gasket (milky chocolate engine oil). I suspect that I may be low on coolant again but I need to take the right side fairing off to pop open the radiator cap. I did however change out the OEM spark plugs for CR9EIX (Iridiums) from stock when I was doing my oil change. Could that cause my busa to get hotter? I'll take the motorcycle apart and keep you guys posted.

What’s the level in your overflow tank? That’s where I would add coolant if it was low. If you have too much coolant and it overheats it will puke out thru the overflow tank.

Back