My dyno run

Seems to me we paid around $100/hr out in Topeka earlier this year it was a HD dealer so we got it in the rear. You should be able to do a in/out for $100-200 total.

Breaking in an engine is all about the engine's sealing ability. You have two paths to choose from:

1) Factory method - for the long run but less hp.
2) Dyno method - for the most hp, but less long term reliability.

To use a dyno, add a breakin oil (Motul make one as well as other vendors) and make a baseline run. Then do about 20 or so "hard pulls". At this point you should review at the results. What you will see is with each dyno run your hp increases. How do you know when to stop? If it levels out at 18 runs, then you are done. If not, do a few more runs like before and review the charts.

After you are finished (bike has leveled out hp wise), drain the oil and put (Motul) synthetic in. You should also do a leak-down test at this time (for a baseline).

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 21 November 1999).]

Great info Jeffw. I will do a careful dyno break-in on my next bike. Any idea what a dyno owner would charge to do a dyno break-in?

jeffw, could you tell me more about this breaking in on a dyno? what is the baseline run and how is it done, what rpm's, gear, etc? then what's next and you also said that it should level out, what is meant by that and what are you going to be looking for? if you don't mind explain it in detail. is this a good way to break in my 2000, would or did you do this to your bike.

thanks in advance maniac

Does Dynojet recommend how to break in a bike on the street?? Anyone have any comments for a hard proper break-in, every dealer has a different story and every rider gets different results.

What would you have to do on the street to break it in the same as the dyno? Multiple hard pulls without sustaining a constant RPM??? Because I can do that!!
:)

Multiple hard pulls with out sustained high rpm and repetitve heat up (to normal operating temp) and cool down cycles. The heat up, cool down cycles are as important as the Multiple hard pulls. Ideally you would start making the hard pulls when the coolant system came up to normal temp and then shut it down when the oil came up to normal temp. Then allow the whole thing to completely cool down to ambient temperature. Then repeat the process.

I got ona dyno, the only mod to my busa is the airbox, and the fans only put out 50 mph worth of winds, so that didnt help. Everything else is stock. I got 165.5 rwhp
Peace,
Ranger

Back