Nikon Or Canon ?

jwcfbd has the 100-400 f/4 lens. VERY nice :thumbsup: That's my next "wish".

I looked at the "bigma", too. Just haven't committed to anything. LOL

Psst, Omar,
At the risk of making you choose Nikon over Canon, let me show you the difference in a $1000.00 lens and a $4000.00 lens. My friend who got me into Photoging shoots Nikon, he took these and you will see how much sharper the lens and the camera are.

Please Keep in mind he is a pro and is the team Photographer for the Stl Rams.
I could only wish to be as good as him.
He has had many SI shots and Covers.

He also dabbled in Canon equipment, but has much invested in Nikon.

Here are the only 2 I can post. If you want his website, let me know, he has some great pics, and some were up for pic of the year on SI.
Remember these are reduced pics. You should see the Hi Res version. Love that Bokeh!:beerchug:

Bubba

NL_STL_CHI#267.JPG

NL_STL_TEN110.JPG

Nice pics...

A Canon 1D with some Canon "L" glass will take incredible pics. That said - "L" glass on just about any body will take great pics...

Ford...Chevy... LOL

OK, I have cleared the table down to 2 choices.

Nikon D5000
D5000 from Nikon

OR

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel T1i EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit

Use will be for business photo's of Cars both inside and out, and maybe some video. ( anyone know how good the video is? ) Of course I will also bhe shooting the busa! :cool:

Both have some really nice features, I like the Nikon because it is a little smaller body, buttons are easier ... Cannon has higher rez.

whatchuguysthink?

A good cam corder, like sony hdr-xr350v or hdr-cx550v or hdr-xr550v. any of those whould work for me.:thumbsup:

Kent, I dont think that you can go wrong either way... I will tell you that the answer should be with the one that you pick up in your hand and feel comfortable with. Someone mentioned ford and chevy, I think that is a perfect example.... The level of cameras that you are looking at carry about the same features and price, so the one you want is the one that feels good and the layout of the controls are comfortable for you...

Doug

this debate could go on forever, canon vs. Nikon.
A camera is only as good as the person behind it, no matter how many bells and whistles on it. That being said, go out to the local electronics store, or camera store if you have one available. Pick up both models you are looking at and see which one feels better in your hands. Ergonomically, not metaphysically, lol. that and for really good tech reviews check out kenrockwell.com. anyway I went nikon and never looked back, but i still love my Canon Ftb and would never get rid of it. Besides with nikon you can still use almost all of the old lenses. Hell I still use a 50 year old lens on my d90 sometimes.

Are you sure we have muddied the water enough for ya? Cause we can go on!:whistle:

Are you sure we have muddied the water enough for ya? Cause we can go on!:whistle:

Hahahaha Yes I still havent decided but at least I only gave you guys 2 choices ... :laugh:

I am researching prices right now ...

Oh and I forgot to mention ... I dont have steady hands ... :shocked:
I was surprized to find out the stablization is in the lens.

Canon < Nikon IMO

Had both, Nikon build quality is just better. I find they're slightly more expensive though.

IGNORE megapixel value. It's all about the quality of the sensor.

Last edited:
Just go hold the cameras in your hands, that is how I decided on my d5000. It felt better in my hands with the lay out and everything to me. The 2 cameras you have it narrowed down to was the exact same that I had when I bought mine.

Just go hold the cameras in your hands, that is how I decided on my d5000. It felt better in my hands with the lay out and everything to me. The 2 cameras you have it narrowed down to was the exact same that I had when I bought mine.

Brandon, you diggin the one you bought? How is the video quality? The Cannon has 1080, from what I see online the Nikon is excellent high rez video but in the play back both look a little choppy... or that could just be the playback back online.

I would say it is pretty good. I honestly have only played with the video part of it once or twice. You won't be able to use auto focus on the lenses when you shoot video, but if you don't plan on zooming in or out after you have already stated recording it shouldn't be a problem, so that might be another thing to look into. I'm not for sure if the Canon does this or not. I wish that I would have purchsed a DSLR a long time ago. The quality is way above the last 2 point and shoots that I had before.

Well, being an ex camera salesman, here's what I think.
Both of those cameras are way overkill for what you're going to be doing. I have a big Canon S3 that I never use. I have a little Canon SD800 IS point and shoot that I use for everything. It's got a very nice wide angle lens on it for shooting inside cars. Like someone in a previous post said, don't worry about megapixels unless you're going to be doing wall-hangings..!!
I'm not real enthusiastic about Nikon point and shoots, I don't think they're real good quality.
Personally, I would get the SD800 IS and put the rest of the money in the bank, or buy a new set of tires for the Busa with it.!!
If you're dead set on getting one of those two big guns you mentioned, they are both good cameras.
I've heard a lot of good things about both of them.

Brandon, you diggin the one you bought? How is the video quality? The Cannon has 1080, from what I see online the Nikon is excellent high rez video but in the play back both look a little choppy... or that could just be the playback back online.

Another thing to look at, just in case you think you will step up to a different body later on, you might go hold the higher model bodies also of each brand.

I got the Nikon D5000 yesterday and only started messin with it today ... I need to learn this stuff, as I have taken about 50K photo's already in my life. :lol:

d5000 012b.jpg

d5000 024b.jpg

d5000 025b.jpg

Back