Nits

E Zurcher

Registered
I love this bike but here are a few little things that bug me.

1. Tail cone is a PITA to install and remove compared to previous gens. Gotta get it lined up just right.

2. Storage area under the tail cone is all but useless. Putting the tools in plastic holders makes you have to be careful what you put back there. For example., I wouldn't want to put my phone or anything that could get scratched back there.

3. Cruise control could be accomplished without locking out all other display controls. For example if you want to check your gas mileage or range to empty you have to turn off cruise to use the controls. A simple up and down button would be great.

4. Hill hold control needs to turn on with much less of an incline. It doesn't turn on when I need it and when it does, it always catches me by surprise usually when I take off again. My friend's Triumph Rocket turns it on uphill, downhill on any incline.

5. I miss the old Gen 2 gauges. The blingy clear indicators and writing is harder to see in the sun.

6. LED headlight is a vast improvement over previous gens as long as you are on a light colored road surface. On dark asphalt, the LED light washes out and it gets harder to see. I may need to do some adjustments.

7. The strakes under the tail light collect a lot of dirt, they look good though.

8. As mentioned earlier the cruise control button is in a bad place. When you turn off cruise by any method, Brake, Clutch, Roll throttle forward the bike instantly drops to zero throttle. To counter that I roll on the throttle slightly until I just start to accelerate then tap the brakes and take over manually.

not a great deal of room under the rear cowl, but enough for me to get a puncture repair kit in there wrapped up in a microfibre cloth. also my mini compressor goes under the cowl , no problem so if i get a puncture i can plug the hole and blow up the tyre, cant see the point of the hill hold , as you have to be in gear with the clutch pulled in it then switches off about 30 seconds, you may as well put the brake on then it wont release till you do it!!!

not a great deal of room under the rear cowl, but enough for me to get a puncture repair kit in there wrapped up in a microfibre cloth. also my mini compressor goes under the cowl , no problem so if i get a puncture i can plug the hole and blow up the tyre, cant see the point of the hill hold , as you have to be in gear with the clutch pulled in it then switches off about 30 seconds, you may as well put the brake on then it wont release till you do it!!!
I definitely like the gen 3 trunk, it’s even better with the cowl, I haven’t yet but I’m sure I can also shove something in the tail section if need be, so I consider it 3 places to put stuff. My ZX11’s had a very small keyed lid under the left grip, it was very small, only hold my registration. But I got several things in my gen 3. Someone said it earlier, never seen a bike with no nits. My gen 3 is around my 12th? Motorcycle and also my favorite.

Forgot one. The wheels are a pita to clean and have a lot of sharp edges. They seem to somehow collect and deposit more dirt on the rims compared to previous versions. Cleaning the rims on a gen1 or 2 is a lot easier and almost therapeutic.

Got to get a bit creative to check pressure and fill the front tire. Will be putting 90 degree stems on at the first tire change.

Don't get me wrong I really love this bike! These are just small things

Forgot one. The wheels are a pita to clean and have a lot of sharp edges. They seem to somehow collect and deposit more dirt on the rims compared to previous versions. Cleaning the rims on a gen1 or 2 is a lot easier and almost therapeutic.

Got to get a bit creative to check pressure and fill the front tire. Will be putting 90 degree stems on at the first tire change.

Don't get me wrong I really love this bike! These are just small things
Especially when the god awful chain lube they put on flings all over it as well. Tackiest nasty garbage that I stopped using back in 2007.

mess.jpg

That stuff is nasty, I used mineral spirits to get it off, I lube with chain wax and when I wax I let it dry overnight does not fling.
I ended up using WD40 and paper towels to get the majority off, then I used a microfiber cloth and some dish soap to finish up. As for the chain soaking it in Kerosene didn't do much though. Only got it off by using a coarse plastic brush. Have no idea if it is Cosmoline though???? I also prefer wax chain lube.

I ended up using WD40 and paper towels to get the majority off, then I used a microfiber cloth and some dish soap to finish up. As for the chain soaking it in Kerosene didn't do much though. Only got it off by using a coarse plastic brush. Have no idea if it is Cosmoline though???? I also prefer wax chain lube.
I haven’t cleaned the chain on my gen 3 yet but on my ZX11’s the best cleaner I used was WD40. Center stand, idle in gear, soak with WD40, let sit, spray rinse with water hose, spin dry, wax, let wax dry overnight and good to go. May not be everybody’s fav but worked well for me.

Back