POLL; Failed Cam Chain Tensioner U.S. 2000 Model Year

well gentleman i have a 99 busa and had the recall done. then while i was at laconia i lost the new one. they had to replace the head, chain, valves sprockets and other items. about 3000 dollars invested to fix it. i had to wait 31 days to get it back. 22 of the days was waiting for the new cam chain. then i went in today to the dealer to order a shield for my helmet and low a behold there sat a 00 blue busa without the motor in her. same situation it had the cam chain tensioner fail. bent the valves and things so it is still happening. just listen and you can here the difference when its not working, its a little louder then surprise for you. i figured i missed out on several beautiful young ladies going for a ride, this is irreplaceable. good luck with everyones. im hoping mine is for good this time

I don't qualify for your 'poll'. I'm not US based - although bike is US spec, is a 99 model not the 00. Failure, recall, failure, the 4th tensioner is now in my bike.

Perhaps this poll should have been to count failures on 3 dot tensioners not just year 2000 Busa's. The 3 dot tensioners have been used in both 1999 and 2000 models. Obviously the 2 previous designs had failures and from what I've read there in fact have been 3 dot failures. I'm not sure what differance it makes if there was 1 or 10 as the percentage is very small either way. If you think that anything short of a lawsuit is going to get Suzuki's attention on this issue dream on and if your thinking legal action I wish you the best of luck. I've read most of the posts on this subject and it seems there are several catagories of owners 1)Those in denial that there is anything wrong and do nothing, 2) Those sure there is a conspiracy by someone unknown and do nothing, 3)Those that suspect there is a problem but think their warranty will take care of it, and do nothing and finally 4) Those who think they should take care of themselves and install a manual tensioner just in case. Lets pick pick the catagory we want to be in and move on!

Gary, there's a 5th category: Those that sense there is a problem, but who want to determine that there really is one (to the extent possible) before taking some action.

I do agree that the 3 dot tensioner is the problem and that it's going to be installed on post-recall 99s as well as all 2000s.

And, personally, warranty or extended warranty notwithstanding, I would never want to go through repair of major engine damage and all that that entails.

Back