Prepping for Irene.

I live in Charleston SC, and people are still freaking out. Clsing school bue to 35mph wind gusts. Heck we get more then that in a thundrstorm. I was gonna load up the truck and go to NC to do some storm clean up. But everyone I know is going so i will stay here and get the scrap jobs!! Yall be carefull up there. Went through Hugo and it was not fun.

I just packed up all my patio furniture, put the cars, bike and lawn mower in the garage, stocked up on beer, and put my generator on craigslist for an inflated price.

Any of you guys want it, I'll be fair lol
440e44c1-ba94-3ea9.jpg

Omar arrived late last night. He's at home with my sons right now and going to help get the last minute stuff taken care of while I'm at work for a bit longer.

The county I live in is under a state of emergency. The tiny waterfront town my Dad lives in is under evac orders (voluntary now, possibly mandatory soon), and we're all under the hurricane warning that much of the eastern seaboard is under. I'm 5 miles up the road from Dad, and the entire area we live in has water on 3 sides, so we do have flooding issues, but my property is pretty high and isn't in danger for flooding unless it's a CAT4, so Omar and I are riding it out, as well as my Dad and most of my family and friends. I'm sure we'll lose power and the trees will be a huge issue, downed across roads and on homes, etc...

I'm less than 2 miles from one river to my south, 2 miles from another to my north, and less than 10 miles from the Chesapeake Bay. Just bracing for the worst and hoping for the best here in Virginia. :please:

Everyone in Irene's path - STAY SAFE!!!!

It is not going to be that bad. It is probably going to be a 1 or a low 2 when it hits us here. It is just going to get weaker from there. Be prepared but dont panik or worry too much. I have been through 3 hurricanes. One being a high Cat4 at 150mph winds (Charley in 2004). This will take down some small trees and blow alot. It wont bring too much surge unless you are on the beach and really low areas. And that is only if you are on the right side of the storm which most will not. New York is going nuts. My mom told me they are expecting a 40 foot surge there. There is no way in hell this storm is going to create a 40 foot surge even if it was a Cat3 let alone a Cat1 or Tropical storm. I dont know where people get this stuff and how stuff gets so blown out of proportion.

It is not going to be that bad. It is probably going to be a 1 or a low 2 when it hits us here. It is just going to get weaker from there. Be prepared but dont panik or worry too much. I have been through 3 hurricanes. One being a high Cat4 at 150mph winds (Charley in 2004). This will take down some small trees and blow alot. It wont bring too much surge unless you are on the beach and really low areas. And that is only if you are on the right side of the storm which most will not. New York is going nuts. My mom told me they are expecting a 40 foot surge there. There is no way in hell this storm is going to create a 40 foot surge even if it was a Cat3 let alone a Cat1 or Tropical storm. I dont know where people get this stuff and how stuff gets so blown out of proportion.

Isabel was just a tropical storm when she hit us in 2003, and our area was hit hard, so NOAA officials have told the county I work in (we support their Emergency Services efforts) to prep for Isabel, but with hurricane force winds. We had deaths in the area, so I'd rather just have everyone be ready than not take it seriously at all. Don't know about where you are, but where I am, trees become the biggest problem. We are all surrounded by tall trees and once they go down on our homes, vehicles, across the roads and powerlines, life as we know it changes for a while...40 foot surge? No way LOL

All of you stay safe and play it safe, we have gone through this here 8 months ago a Cat 5 hit our Northern Coast and the area is still no where near what it used to be.

All is well. We still have power sort of... a bit odd which I am guessing is a problem with the circuit breakers. The worst is going on right about now. Had a tornado come through but all is well :beerchug:

I ran from Cambridge, MD. to Dumfries, VA. Looks like I am going to have to move west from here as the storm is now tracking to hit here as well. Anyone have any ideas as to where I should go?

It wasn't bad at all. Just lots of rain and wind. A few broken limbs off trees. It landed about 30 miles away from here or so. Power finally went out at 6am this morning and who knows when we will get it back... If the wind dies down before dark I may go for a ride and see what the town looks like

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

this is the pre-storm images of the water... will be VERY interesting to see what the beach looks like after the storm. Most of the rocks will move, just hoping my stairs are still there :please:

P1010599.jpg

P1010601.jpg

Back