problems with 6th gear

eddy

Registered
hello i have had my busa 2 days and done 230 miles and i have problems selecting 6th gear
now is this normal cos its a new gear box
it happens intermittently about 1 in 4 times
when i lift up the gear shifter it feels like its not moving any thing in side the box and the display goes blank then a slight crunching noise and it ether goes back in to 5th or in to 6th
i have tightened and check the chain and lubed
checked engine oil level
i have been told that suzuki gear box are tight for the first 1000 miles
any help would be great
thanks

I doubt this is normal... more likely precursor to bigger issue...

I doubt this is normal... more likely precursor to bigger issue...

I agree also.
Go and report it to the dealer so you have it documented if something does go south.
You may also be forcing the shift lever now, as you are expecting it to miss shifts.
That lever should just need a slight toe up to move it into 6th.
Try gently toeing it up, without pouring on the power and see what that does.
Check back with us.
We will help if we can.

Haven't heard of it as an issue for the 08s. Definitely take it back it back and have the dealer check it out.

Haven't heard of it as an issue for the 08s. Definitely take it back it back and have the dealer check it out.

mine done that as well when i first got it and now every once in a while, i just learned to shift it firmer and that really helped.Acually quite a few people have had this issue. I also do clutchless up shifts and that really made it shift nice and smooth.

I have about 3000 miles on mine and 4 or 5 times mine has sorta hit a false neutral between 5th and 6th where it kinda grinds for a sec and then drops back into 5th. I was thinking when it first happened that the bike was just new or I had shifted too soft but now it has happened some more and I'm starting to wonder.???

This should not happen w/ a new bike. I would take it back immediately and have the dealer inspect it.

you might try adjusting your shift lever down a little. it'll help with more positive upshifts. it's a quick simple adjustment and if your problems are related to soft or lazy upshifts, it might help.

hello i have had my busa 2 days and done 230 miles and i have problems selecting 6th gear
when i lift up the gear shifter it feels like its not moving any thing in side the box and the display goes blank then a slight crunching noise and it ether goes back in to 5th or in to 6th
checked engine oil level
any help would be great
thanks

Shift it like you mean it...no pu$$y footing :banghead:

checked engine oil level
any help would be great
thanks

I find this normal if shifting way too early.... Some times I will upshift early when cruising on back roads and mine does the same but I'm not going to blame the bike as I shouldn't be doing this anyways.

I'd take it in and have it checked and documented, just in case of a future issue.

i have the same problem i have a 09 hayabusa w/600 miles it bangs out of 6th gear back to 5th 1 out of 5 times taking it next saturday to the dealer

Don't adjust or screw with nothing take it to them and they can fix it. That way they can't say you caused the problem by adjusting stuff. Its basically still brand new and any stealership should treat you right after buying a new bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't adjust or screw with nothing take it to them and they can fix it. That way they can't say you caused the problem by adjusting stuff. Its basically still brand new and any stealership should treat you right after buying a new bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup!

I'll bet it's more of a rider issue than a mechanical issue. Your shifter is probably too high for you to get a firm upshift. Move it down about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch and try it again. Also, make sure you are pulling the clutch in fully, unless you are doing clutchless shifting. If you are doing clutchless shifting you will need to preload the shifter then let off the throttle for a brief moment to allow the stress to unload from the gearbox when you shift.

Posted via Mobile Device

And after they look it over and find nothing wrong they will tell him the same advice others have said about shifting it like you have a purpose.

I have an 08 and had the same problem and I talked to the dealer and other 08 owners and what I found that it was trying to go into 6th too early. Don't forget it's a BUSA it needs to go fast. 6th gear is good for over 130 mph.

Thats ridiculous. I|i put her in 6th as slow as 45 mph just fine. My guess is (1) you;re not shifting it firmly enough at the right time (2) your shift lever is not adjusted iurght for your footwear or (2) the bike has other mechanical issues. More likely than not its #! or #2. How much experience do you have with different bikes? if its a low # - more likely #1 or #2. :thumbsup:

And after they look it over and find nothing wrong they will tell him the same advice others have said about shifting it like you have a purpose.
At least hell be shifting with a purpose other than voiding his warranty. If you want problems then screw around with things you know nothing about. Which is obviously the guys position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back