Sheep effect

I enjoyed your thoughts. I always liked my V-Max in the 90's for the same reasons you wrote about your ZX-11. I never seriously considered a "bullet bike" back then because I like to ride long distance and I the one's I'd tried we're not comfortable for the long haul at all. It wasn't until I traded bikes for a day with a friend that I was bitten hard by the Busa bug. I always lusted after it because I knew it was the biggest and the best, but I had no idea it was so stable, predictable, and comfortable. After that day, I knew I had to have one, and a few short months later (after prepping the wife for the imminent and totally illogical purchase to come), I got one.

Just sharing a bit of wierdness, so forgive me.

I just got an 05 busa.  I had a zx11 and zx12.  Obviously, many of you are aware of the rivalry between the legion of die hard Kawi owners and die hard suzie owners.

Here is my perspective so far about my new ride:

When I rode the zx11, I was on a classic bike, and quite a performer - I flew under the radar -so to speak, meaning that most young riders had no clue what bike I was on, and when I parked at gas stations and such, - it was the older guys that would stare and walk around my bike asking questions.  Most of them had probably wanted a zx11 when it was the current bike to have back in the 90's.

I liked surprising folks with the 11's speed, - but for the most part, I could enter a place where other bikers were and not be noticed. I liked that.

Then of course, I got hungry for more power and I got the zx12.  That bike was unbelievably fast, - you know the drill.  
Still, because it was a zx12 - and no one really cares much about it -nor knows much about it, - I could fly under the radar still.  I would blow past nearly everything I wanted to.
When I saw a couple busas screaming down the highway, I would get right up there with them -no sweat.  

While I owned the 11 and 12, - busa riders would pull into a place where I was with other bikes, - and I would admire the busa for what it was, - but people, -especially those who know nothing about bikes, would just drool all over the busa.
Being a 12 owner, I would just think, "whatever", -it may hold the title of top speed, but the 12 is right there with it and less cc's.

That may be true, but what always bugged me was that the busa got all this hype.  I mean for people who know nothing about bikes, they sure did know that the busa was the "fastest bike in the world".  A lot of doofuses buy busas for that reason alone, -even if they dont plan on riding it.  Even for a FIRST BIKE!

I truly enjoyed being on the zx12 and knowing no busa -"stock- for the most part" - was going to hand me my ass.  I loved riding along and having the confidence that whoever looked at my bike probably didnt know what it could do.

Now that I have a hayabusa, I am thrilled not at all because of the popularity.  I am thrilled because I can touch the ground at a redlight.  I am thrilled because the fairings feel like they line up and are solid.  I am thrilled because it came with a steering damper, AND ITS HIDDEN!!!!

I am thrilled to own a hayabusa because I can get a backrest from corbin for it.  I am thrilled because it has torque down low that I can use more often than the the 12's higher HP up top.  I am thrilled because it handles more like a GT than a sportbike, and it is more comfortable to me.

BUT here's what I am writing about:  I feel like I "look" like one of the sheep that buys the busa for reasons OTHER than whay I like about it.  When I roll into a sportbike group, I have this subconscious feeling that they see ME the way I was OTHERS on a busas..."as though they think they have the 'best' and 'fastest' bike.

Its what I call the sheep effect.  hehe.

After owning the underdog bike in the popularity contest, - I always felt safe and out of the spotlight.  Now that I am on a hayabusa, I feel like no one knows why I love it so much, and I dont want to be thought of as some doofus who bought the "fastest" bike the salesman told to buy.

When people look at me in traffic, they dont know I am so happy to be touching the ground, they think I am some squidly guy who wants to be a hotshot.  Nevermind that I owned a 12 and got the busa because it was just as fast....not faster.

When I ride the busa, I dont get a rush that its the fastest thing I ever sat on.  Cause its not.  I get a rush because its low and smooth and solid.

The hype around the busa after these 6 years has made it a target for some to shoot for, and I hate to think I have to prove that I can win a race because some guy on a current literbike, or a zx12, or a viper for that matter, wants to "teach" me a lesson...

Because I just dont care about how fast my busa is.  I even swear I will NOT mod my busa with exhausts, or anything like that.  I am keeping it stock because I got tired of tweaking my other bikes to make them faster.

I wonder how many other hayabusa owners who buy the bike for its touring abilities and seat height, and comfort...along with its high speed ability - feel like I do when it comes to being a member of the sheep of hype.
Your thinking too much.......lifes too short to analyze everything and who thinks what about this, that, or the other thing. Just enjoy your ride whatever it is. I've been riding for a damn long time, and owned every brand/size made practically. And I enjoyed every one of them.....why?, because I love to ride, not because I loved the bike...nor was I trying to impress anybody. Lifes too short to give up your pleasure trying to impress people. A bikes just a tool...a cool one for sure...but still just a tool to help you do something you enjoy. If a person rides a bike to impress (not saying you do
wink.gif
) then I think they're missing the point completely.
Me, I'm gonna enjoy every bike I now own or ever will......but thats just me
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Welcome aboard
beerchug.gif

Very nice piece. I've got both ends of the flock...Harley and Busa, so I see all of the sheep whenever I ride.
laugh.gif

Back