stumped on Bazzaz install

notright

I'm the Pugh take a wiff
Donating Member
Registered
I installed my Bazzaz ZF1 . The instructions said to start from the left. So I assumed that ment shortest to longest on the harness. After starting I get a
f1 code with lots of raw gas out the tail pipe . I checked all connections and all were good. I figured the raw gas must be a sequence problem. So I reconnected the injectors this time longest on the left. I start the bike and no raw gas but, I am still getting a F1 code -C35 this means #4 injector signal. I have checked and rechecked #4 connections. They all seem perfect. Is there any way this code could be something else? Thanks for any help.

First thing I would do is unplug Bazzaz and check if code is gone ............ that would isolate the area of the problem and then the second thing I'd do is "flash" the ECU :thumbsup:

When sitting on the bike you should be running the cables around the right side of the bike with the longest to the left and running out of cord length as you route it around. Sounds like you've got that connected correctly the second time....

Now....check the PINS inside the connectors. Even though they attach and look good on the outside, the PINS inside will slip out or push down. This will give you the error codes you are receiving.

I had the same problem installing mine and you have to double check them to make sure the male is going into the female INSIDE the plug. They are a real PITA to get in if it doesn't go in perfect the first time. My guess is that's what happened. Seems to be the case on 99% of the problems people have when installing it... ;)

Sitting on the bike start on your left side. Wiring goes from there to the right side. Make sure you have the upper injectors with the upper set of wiring and lower with the lowers. Try unpluging the ecu and battery if the FI light doesn't go out. Make sure you didn't bend any pins in the injector plugs. Good luck..

First thing I would do is unplug Bazzaz and check if code is gone ............ that would isolate the area of the problem and then the second thing I'd do is "flash" the ECU :thumbsup:

Dose this mean I need to disconnect and reconnect all the original plugs? I will do a search to see just exactly flashing an ECU is. Thanks.

When sitting on the bike you should be running the cables around the right side of the bike with the longest to the left and running out of cord length as you route it around. Sounds like you've got that connected correctly the second time....

Now....check the PINS inside the connectors. Even though they attach and look good on the outside, the PINS inside will slip out or push down. This will give you the error codes you are receiving.

I had the same problem installing mine and you have to double check them to make sure the male is going into the female INSIDE the plug. They are a real PITA to get in if it doesn't go in perfect the first time. My guess is that's what happened. Seems to be the case on 99% of the problems people have when installing it... ;)

Beat me to it..:whistle:

Sitting on the bike start on your left side. Wiring goes from there to the right side. Make sure you have the upper injectors with the upper set of wiring and lower with the lowers. Try unpluging the ecu and battery if the FI light doesn't go out. Make sure you didn't bend any pins in the injector plugs. Good luck..

Starting with the shortest or longest?

How close are you to Houston, I was going to mention the pin issue, Josh has talked about it a bunch. Good luck with it brother. Sounds like a good unit for the Gen II, heard of a few failures, but they seem to stand behind their stuff. Flashing is sounding pretty dayum good too.

Thanks I will keep trying. If the pins look straight when I pull them out how can i tell if they are in?

I am confused after reading GotBusa's ...mine is from left to right. The way his sounds is opposite. I have done 4 of them and all have been the same. ???

I am confused after reading GotBusa's ...mine is from left to right. The way his sounds is opposite. I have done 4 of them and all have been the same. ???

Ther instructions, said to start from the left, but did not say to start with shortest or longest. So the first time I started with shortest to longest and from left to right. Once I started my bike lots of raw fuel came out the tail pipe, plus F1 code. So I reversed the order. No raw gas but F1 code C35.
Which means #4 injector. Now I am confused as well.

Do check on flashing ECU options, for now you have generated a fault code it will be stored in ECU with flashing software you can also clear codes. Would appear from the number of responses you are getting that the problem you have is a widespread fault :beerchug:
Note I would just have a good look at number 4 as code is basically saying no injector signal recognised on cyl 4

Last edited:
ECU flashing, is this something I should get done at a dealership?

I'm sorry, I think I told you for the spark plugs the first time.

Sitting on the bike with the bazzaz installed in the tail, you will run the injector harness/cable down the LEFT side of the frame and curve the wires under the tank to the back side of the head. The shortest plug (first on the harness coming from the bazzaz) starts on the left and longest goes to the far right. It will only fit one way before you are out of cord (last plug goes on the far right injector).

Also make sure you have the proper harness for the upper and lower injectors. I believe it says LOWER on the lower injector harness so make sure you have the correct ones going to upper or lower.

Thanks I will keep trying. If the pins look straight when I pull them out how can i tell if they are in?

The pin will be out of place or pushed straight down. If it's not sticking straight out and locked in it's little hole then you will know. If it's still giving you the error code then it's still not connected. BE VERY CAREFUL with the needle nose because if you break a pin or pull it completely out, you have to send back the entire harness for Bazzaz to repair it...

Just nice and gentle realign the pins and slowly push them in. If there is any resistance you should be able to tell that it's not aligned and going in properly.

Some people don't have access to a tuner for the ECU flash so the Bazzaz is still the best bet for some wanting to control 8-injectors without having to buy two commanders.... ;)

Just so there is no confusion, my first response was for the coils/spark plugs ONLY. When sitting on the bike you should be running the cables around the right side of the bike with the longest to the left and running out of cord length as you route it around.

The injector harness goes around the LEFT side of the frame... ;)

Last edited:
Back