SW-Motech racks on K8: INSTALLED!

Hi, I have been looking for racks for my K8 and these look really good.

I take it the whole system can be taken off when not needed. I want these for a few trips a year but after that to take them off.

Also you dont need to modify anything or drill into anything.

Thanks.
Chris

Sorry Dude but that just looks sooo wrong :wtf:

I run hard panniers on my GS but never will on my Busa. I've done a 2 week 3000 mile trip on my K8 and just used a soft bag made by Kriega strapped on the pillion seat and it worked a treat;

http://www.kriega.com/pages_uk/us20/US20-topframeset.html

40L is more than enough for me

Each to their own, but I have to say that like Trev, I have just done 3500 miles over 11 days around Europe using the Kriega gear and a tank bag, and an Uncle Mikes bag for riding gear Bungeed to the rear too. It works well, even when playing with a Maserati on the Autostrada 4 at 180 mph!
Gotta say though, the Suzuki Gel seat is awesome. Over 800 miles one day and although glad to get off the bike, I wasn't in pain.

Sorry Dude but that just looks sooo wrong

Fortunately for me, I never get all wrapped up in the cosmetics of a bike. I am much, much more interested in performance, then aesthetics.

And here is something that should interest ks-waterbug.... check THIS out: how about combining the Ventura rack together with the SW-Motech racks! I am still going to sell off my Ventura rack and bag, as I have decided to go after the SW-Motech rear rack system that compliments these hard case side racks.

racks_ventura1.jpg

I didn't actually use the 32L Ventura Bag on this run this past weekend (though I could have). Instead, what you see here a First Gear tail-bag:

racks_ventura3.jpg

Your absolutely right... I wasn't sure however it would work so I went ahead and bought a CooCase 28L with the rack! Seeing your ride only makes me that much more giddy :cheerleader:

Warchild, I live in deer country also..along with every other varmit on 4 legs. I ride home from work at midnight through rural areas...I actually love my night drives...except the constant anxiety of deer. I just ordered a HID light for my low beam. But you know how the BMW guys have all of those extra lights on their bikes...so jealous. I have been thinking of how to get some extra lumens out their but was stumped on how to do it without screwing up the look of the bike...or having to cut holes in the fairing and fabrication nightmares...until I saw your setup...genius..you are a genius. Can you share with me the details of how you attached to the mirrors? How did you wire the lamps up?
Are they controlled from a seperate switch? How do you keep from blinding oncoming traffic? Some parts of the country call them pig spotters. Do the Helas have adjustable left-right and up-down screws? Man, I can't thank you enough for those pics...It is exactly the answer to my nervous rides at night from work...thanks again Warchild for your answers...alan ( 2hip)

Can you share with me the details of how you attached to the mirrors?

Custom, hand-made fabrications! :cool:

These two brackets started out life as two pieces of angled steel, and two large nuts. The nuts were welded to the steel, the hex-head surfaces ground down to a smooth finish. Appropriate bends were made so the bracket clears the bodywork at all times (a critical requirement to avoid harmonic damage to the bodywork!). Finally, holes were precision-drilled to allow for a soft "press fit" around the mirror mount sleeves.

Here are the raw, finished brackets right before being powder-coated a sedate, matte black finish:

raw1.jpg

Better shot.... out of the sunlight:

raw2.jpg

How did you wire the lamps up?

Laid down its own dedicated circuit using the techniques we always used over the years: premium, beefy 12ga wiring that feeds a Bosch 12v, 40-amp relay that is triggered by a double-pole, double-throw, center-off toggle switch. When thrown in one position, the Hella lights only light up in conjunction with the high-beam (meets most state laws). When thrown in the other position, the Hella's light up regarding of high-beam/low-beam status.

We protect this circuit with 25-amp fuse. :thumbsup:

How do you keep from blinding oncoming traffic?

???

There is no realistic way to use these lights in the presence of oncoming traffic. No way, no how. There is every chance you will cause an accident if you try, and that is no $hit. You can ONLY use these lights when you are out by yourself, or you are separated by a fairly large interstate median, etc.

That said, you *could*, I suppose, aim them downward in an exaggerated manner while in traffic, but... this doesn't seem a reasonable way to go.

Do the Helas have adjustable left-right and up-down screws?

In a manner of speaking, yes... the set-screws can be adjusted just tight enough so that the lamps stay in position in normal operation, yet just loose enough the rider can reach over and aim them as needed while underway. This is actually quite a useful feature.

Last edited:
These lights, and the ones that you had on your 'Bird are absolutely great! A must for rural riders.
You might want to think about making an extra buck with those brackets of yours, bro! There's a special section on this board just for people like you. :)

I use to do it with a backpack, but got some soft saddles for the spring bash. Riding buddy agrees; very wise investment.

10.5K in 7 days ::11 Holy Shid Batman :bowdown:

Thanks.... though note I didn't do that ride on the K8, I did that run on my old Blackbird. It was a total of 10,636 miles in 6 days, 23 hours, 28 minutes.

I won't be doing that one again, I assure you. That was gnarley. :whistle:

Hey man I might be wrong bot I was looking at your pics and is that a split in your rear tire?? Its the pic where your showing the rear view of your ride. the pattern looks funny right below the license plate. Dont want you to have a failure at speed!!

War, what pipe you running there...looks like a 4-2-1 pipe. thanks for the reply ahead of time...2hip

Hey man I might be wrong bot I was looking at your pics and is that a split in your rear tire?? Its the pic where your showing the rear view of your ride. the pattern looks funny right below the license plate.

I see what you are referring to, but no, that is the correct, normal tread pattern of the Avon Storm. It is not a split.

War, what pipe you running there...looks like a 4-2-1 pipe. thanks for the reply ahead of time...2hip

The very common, classic 4-2-1 Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Fiber canister.

Hey War what kind of seat are you using?

That is a Rick Mayer seat.

He is a well-known, extremely experienced Long Distance/Iron Butt seatmaker. I posted up photos of Rick making this seat for me in this thread here.

web site linky: ==> Rick Mayer Cycles

MayerSeat1.jpg

Back