Tire Pressures for 2022

I use Suzuki branded oil in my Suzuki!!!

I know, absolutely do NOT use Suzi oil in your Suzi!!!!

(No, I don't actually run it. Well maybe I do, since S probably just slaps their label on the bottle.)

On Monday, we tell someone to RTFM. On Tuesday, we tell someone to ignore the manual.
Oil change intervals, anyone?
There is quite a bit of real world experience on this forum....people who have logged thousands and thousands of miles in all kinds of situations and conditions. I for one would not sneer at this.

Take a look at a car tire, often times the max pressure does not equate to the recommended tire pressure inside the door jam. Bike tires are the same, when I was racing, we played with tire pressure all the time to maximize our grip.

I run 42/42. I’ve heavy at up to 285 (working on getting down to 250 for a competition) and those pressures do not have me sliding or losing traction unless cold pavement on cold tires. I can lean off bike and scrape pegs and brake extremely hard with zero loss of traction detected.

Due to my weight and how I ride, the bike eats tires. A new set every 2k miles or less and that’s with the tires bald.

029E7561-5BB8-45B0-BEE0-B7E237C02C90.jpeg

If you check your tires before you ride, you know what psi they are.
If you warm them up, stop, check them, you know what they warmed up to.
If you pay any attention when you ride, you will learn/should know what variances in tire pressures do, how they will feel in relation, and how it will effect handling.
You will be able to feel if one or both tires is deflating...vs constantly taking your eyes off the road to look at the guage.
Tpms is convinient for some, pointless to many, but a select few seem to have to have it, to each their own.
As for psi, it has already been shown on tires as 42psi as the Max...and the heat of riding increases the psi.
Anyone riding on 42/42 can Not use the bike to it's capabilities, and it is about the same as improper set suspension sag.
If it works for you, great, but it is not correct.
But, I'm just some guy on the internet, so check out what Dave Moss/tire and suspension guru, has to say about it.

I run 42/42. I’ve heavy at up to 285 (working on getting down to 250 for a competition) and those pressures do not have me sliding or losing traction unless cold pavement on cold tires. I can lean off bike and scrape pegs and brake extremely hard with zero loss of traction detected.

Due to my weight and how I ride, the bike eats tires. A new set every 2k miles or less and that’s with the tires bald.

View attachment 1658746

Since 285 is nowhere near 520 pounds, I would venture to say that due to your weight and the way you ride (and) running 42/42 might be why your tires last only 2,000 miles.

There is quite a bit of real world experience on this forum....people who have logged thousands and thousands of miles in all kinds of situations and conditions. I for one would not sneer at this.

Take a look at a car tire, often times the max pressure does not equate to the recommended tire pressure inside the door jam. Bike tires are the same, when I was racing, we played with tire pressure all the time to maximize our grip.
I got it, but this started because someone did not have their owner's manual and they wanted to know the 'correct' tire pressures.

Can we admit that SUZI still recommends 42/42# COLD and that would be the answer to the Q?

42 cold is insane for any kind of spirited driving. The contact patch at those tire pressures is the size of a dime. 36 cold F/R I recommend. Gets you to around 39-40 hot. Anything past 40 hot it's gets squirrely on the front end.
This! My first track day genuinely shocked me when they told us to lower the pressure down to 30 PSI. During the early decades I was on a budget and on long distance touring I always tried to cheat a few more miles out of the tires by keeping the pressure up around 38 cold or higher. It's insane to me how many cornering close calls I had, and I can remember the terrible grip / handling of the bike as well, keeping the pressure stupidly high like that. Because my tires had a rigid tiny dime of a contact patch, ZeePopo got it exactly right! Easily the stupidest thing I used to do in my motorcycle career.

There has to be a reason because my old 2002 Blackbird had 42/42psi on it too. It weighed like 560lbs so about the same as the Busa.

Back