TIRE WEAR: The reality

OB_DC

Registered
Please post your rear tyre wear below, with an honest assessment of the way you have ridden the bike.
I'll start the ball rolling...
I'm not a road maniac, but I do accelerate hard through corners, it's the way I've been trained. I hold a RoSPA Gold(the highest) level of advanced test and I am qualified to teach advanced riding (through the RoSPA Diploma. I do ride in excess of 100mph at any given opportunity. I will cruise at that speed on dual carriageways. I'll often see 150mph on the brief straight bits between the corners on the roads I most regularly use. I ran in the Hayabusa on the first set of tyres so the first 500 miles were at 5000rpm and below and the next 500 at 8000rpm and below. I ride on roads with lots of corners in to enjoy the handling of the bike and to try to prevent the tyres wearing square.
Even so...
The rear tyre was beginning to wear square at 1600 miles and I changed it at 2000 because it was so out of shape it made the handling feel distinctly dodgy.

Your experiences please...

Really I drive like you as probably most on this site do,lol but with not as much credentials.I have 5200 miles on my tires the rear is past the wear bars and squared bad ,the front is like new.I did most of my miles on the highyway at 95+ thats no poop,my buddy is a cop and when we ride together the skys the limit.You think a radar detector is good, try a badge.Have to wait till next week to put on my Avons 35/36 .I really dont like the Bridgestones they spin to easy and suck in the rain ,exspecially on those stupid little tar strips and famous Massachusettes raised road lines.

The original rear lasted just over 2000mls but started to go off about 1600mls. This included the running in perioid and the journey from UK to Switzerland.
I managed to get a new Bridgestone thanks to a contact in Bridgestone Europe. The new one did 1500mls within 3 weeks of fitting, with riding around Swiss Alps and Black forest of Germany. I reckon it will last another 2-300mls (thats about 2200mls total).
My riding style is medium/hard acceleration from stopped and powering out of bends (although I haven't quite managed to scrub the edges yet....but pretty close). I also tend to brake hard. The original front is still doing fine though.

Why do the tires only last 2000 or so miles.........my 207 d's lasted twice that? Is it because they are a softer compound? I havent been spinning my tires or wheelies..................

2 things:

1. how can it be that everyone gets only 1600-2200 miles on the OEM tire and somone else gets over 5000 miles? that makes no sense unless the tire that guy got were mismarked at the factory... being somewhat (or a lot) harder than what he was supposed to get. someone please help me to explain that one

2. the reason the busa tires are good for a relatively short period of time... is that our bike is
a. heavy
b. incredibly powered

to get a tire to last 5000K miles or more (even with the D207ZR tires, we would have to have someone invent a 230 width tire (ie., more rubber to meet the road to disapate the forces of the rear wheel HP to the ground)
but...
that ain't gonna happen
so, until then, we are forced to have tires that will last about as long as hard compound on a superbike

greg

Performance Bike--June '99 --rated alot of different tires, including the BT56 and BT56SS. They are rated well, and there is no mention of premature wear.
Verdict: a good road-based tire. Good enough for most roads and riders. Below i will post the conclusions for those of you who don't pick-up the U.K. magazines (you should though there available at Borders Books--SuperBike, Fast Bikes, etc.)
Sticky Stuff--racer's choice
1. Dunlop D207GP--grip outweighs instability
2. Michelin Pilot Sport "soft"--grip and stability
3. Pirelli Dragon Evo Super Corsa SC1--grip
4. Metzeler ME Z3 Rennsport RS1--grip
5. Bridgestone BT56SS--not a race tire, but good
6. Avov Azaro Supersport--emergencies

ROAD STUFF
1. Michelin Pilot, Pirelli Dragon Evo, Dunlop Sportmax all tie for first.
4. Bridgestone BT56
5. Metzeler ME Z3
6. Avon Azaro Sport
PLease note that the test work was done on A CBR600FX--120/70 ZR17 front, 180/55 ZR17 rear
Testing performed on Croft Circuit North Yorkshire race track.
Not a Busa and and not 190/50 tire. But, interesting articale nontheless.
Bob

I probably got more miles on my tires than most because the majority of them were highway at pretty much steady speeds and I checked my air pressure every time I went out. As far as spinning the tires I got air most of the time.The reason I`m switching to the Azaro`s is that I used them on my zx9r and they worked great and I got 8000 miles out of them.Why you guys are only getting 2000 miles out of your tires is probably because you guys are totally spanking your bikes.I ride my busa hard but I also ride it long the Bstones are worn to the edges as well as down the middle. Maybe I got a fluke tire who knows it says J series on the side though.Bang the Avons all you want they gripped better than the Bstones on my zx9.Maybe us heavy guys get more mileage out of our tires?

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 08 July 1999).]

5,200 miles on the BT56's and we are going to try the Pirelli Dragon Corsa. I will mount the 200/50-17 in the rear. It was posted that the Bridgestone BT56J was actually measured out to a 198 (UK magazine, DC back this up).And the matching front Pirelli 120/70-17

A 198 would seem closer to 200 than a 190, If somebody has experience with these tires I would like to hear it.

I wanted to mount a set of Michelin Pilots but they are only available as a 180

I've got 3,000 miles on mine and the rear tire looks like it will go at least another 2,000. I do a pretty good mix of riding, and almost always accelerate hard, but don't do any burnouts. Tire wear is pretty even with a slight flat spot starting to show in the middle. I plan on trying the new Michelin Pilot's when I'm ready to change. Supposedly the Pilot's come in 3 compounds Sport, Race and Race Soft, I plan on trying the Race compound. Will post again when I get that far.

i did 3000 km with reartyre,there was no bt56 on stock at that time ,so i have now the new pirelli gts at the back now for 2500 km can t see any tyre lasting at all,and i drive it like a maniac but no burnouts or so ever just hard axeleration and muchs topspeeds in germany it handles good has good grip i use the hole profile from the tyre ,also from the front tyre i saw yesterday when i was back from a hard ride,but thats the stock bridstone is now lasting at the sites not in the midle i think that from braking intoo the corners!
OKE THATS ALL

I've got about 3,000mi, the back tire is squared slightly, and the tread is wearing thin. It'll need to be replaced within the next 500 miles. I suppose some of the variance in tire wear, aside from riding style and road conditions, may be the riders opinion of when a tire needs to be replaced. Some (like me) say the tire is cached when it's even slightly squared off and starts to affect handling in the corners. Others may not surrender until the wear bars are clearly visible.

Hey kawabuser you put on those Perelli 200`s yet? Getting the Avon`s on tomorrow at Enfield motorsports .Tell us how them suckers work for ya.I don`t think you can go wrong with the Perelli`s

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 06 July 1999).]

I have a friend who gets the dot race tires. He says that they will last longer because they don't spin as much. The harder tire will spin and leave lots of tire on the road. The softer tire doesn't and so less tire is left on the road. This seems reasonable to me. Anyone think he is full of it, let me know. Thanks

It looks for me that I will get about 3500 miles on my stock tires. I ride hard but not real hard. I take a real hard ride in the ssss every 500 miles. I accelerate hard every chance I get. I give it full throttle every other chance I get.

[This message has been edited by EXCLR8 (edited 08 July 1999).]

the azaros will be a big mistake
don't know why you would buy them
check the info above
for goodness sakes... read before you buy
you got lucky on the 9R
while their print ads are nice
the tires suck
everyone who has ever tested them says so
they always are ranked last
i don't know why
but i wouldn't put them on a moped after what i've read extensively on their performance on street and track

greg

Well luck or not I had the Azaro`s put on today and after an exciting scrub in period ,first 50 miles,the tires seem to just what I remembered,there is an increased high speed stability with a trade off in a little slower steering ,due to the fact that the Avon`s have a flatter tread pattern.The tires dont hunt the imperfections on the road like the Bridgestones did and the bike doesn`t get tossed around when you get near 18 wheelers. I haven`t been able to do any high speed corner exit`s yet due to the fact that I had surgery on my tricep tuesday,but spanking it out of the hole the tire seems to have better grip "ie not spin" as bad as the Bstones probably again do to the larger contact patch.Be warned though the bike does steer slower and has a tendancy to want to stand up during mid corner braking which you shouldn`t do any way.Only have 175 miles on them I should be able to start spanking them a little harder next week.I got 8k miles out of my last set of Azaro`s .I had really good 'luck" with the Avons in the rain also only once did it get out of shape and that was taking an off ramp at 80mph in a downpour .I have no doubt about what you read but I feel personal experiance is more compelling than magazine article`s.But after all isn`t that what this site is all about?And if I do lose it because of my crappy Avon`s all you guys can say" Told you so"lol

GSX1300guy, I get my tires and wheels back next week, maybe we will go for a ride. I was going to try to catch up with you the week you left for vacation. I have not owned a set of Pirelli's in years, I am a Metzeler guy.
I went for the 200 rear because the BT56J is supposed to measure out to a 198 and I figured 198 is closer to 200 than 190. And till then there is only one way to find out.
Camper/gsx1300guy send me an email to make plans for a ride.

My Hayabusa is currently on the Isle of Man for a test on closed public roads against the R1, 996 and FireBlade. It is being ridden by former 500 GP racer Keith Heuwen, TT lap record holder Steve Hislop and former WSB (and current British superbikes) rider Neil Hodgson.
I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THAT DOES FOR TIRE WEAR!!!!!!
(The test will feature in a Duke Video soon and in Motor Cycle News on July 21)

I put 3000 mixed miles on the stock tires.Back tire is almost gone.Maybe one more weekend.Wear is worse in the middle of course but good wear out to edge.Front looks like it will survive two back tires.Acceleration is the tread killer here. I doubt any brand will last much longer under these loads.I ride a pretty fast pace on this thing and am at full throttle as much as I can.....God I love this monster!!!!;›)

Back