Unchroming the boomerang

dcnblues

Registered
Just saw a pic of Chris Moore's white Busa where it looks like he changed the boomerang to flat black. How are people unchroming it? Does It screw off? Are people just painting it?

It unclips. Totally comes loose with a little persuasion. Just clips, and screws. Mine was painted. Turned out perfect ! Hey Marty here's the color !. :p

1A99811E-39B3-4765-A9E7-6D1FCA081C14.jpeg

Is that color close to the gold/orange trim on the black gen3?
2016-2017 Nissan GTR orange pearl metallic. I flipped the color scheme. Everything that was gold is matte black, everything that was gloss black is metallic orange.

Del has way more in the custom design going than I do. I'm going for more supercar styling. Not done yet either !.

:thumbsup:

Del just came up with a killer idea. I'll keep you guys posted. We may be able to work the Hayabusa emblem onto the body parts. Not the kanji, but the Hayabusa name.:beerchug:

I didn't ask him, I've heard from a couple of guys you gotta have plastic primer. It's supposed to grip the surface better.

I would go as far as to say make sure you wrap the outward facing surface if not the entire surface once you're done, so you have some protection against De-adhesion.

Next time I go over there I'll ask him.

Straight from Scott at Wright bet auto paint in Las Vegas Nevada:

You sand it with 400 grit and use adhesive promoter then sealer and paint. Key is to sand it to remove any shine

Last edited:
I didn't ask him, I've heard from a couple of guys you gotta have plastic primer. It's supposed to grip the surface better.

I would go as far as to say make sure you wrap the outward facing surface if not the entire surface once you're done, so you have some protection against De-adhesion.

Next time I go over there I'll ask him.
I use adhesion promoter on plastic generally...

I was having issues with painting some ZL1 emblems (stock is chrome) and paint not holding up very well. I mentioned it to him and was told to try self etching primer as well as promoter. Emblems are still holding up great compared to first time I painted them. It sounds like there's some sort of metal in the chrome on plastic things.

I originally planned to get boomerangs tinted (like headlights, black/clear paint+clear), but he couldn't prep properly to tint chrome. Then Spudley mentioned what he did, something that never crossed my mind... So I'm following in his footsteps!

Back