What would you do if the dealer...

blkhammer

Registered
I brought my bike into to my nearest dealership for the 600 mile service on my 08 blue busa on July 2.  I told them I was going on vacation, and that I wouldn't be back for 2 weeks.  They said that was ok since they were backed up with other bikes the length of time I would be gone was fine.  I also informed them I may call for them to do an exhaust while I was gone.

I called on the next monday to get a quote on some slipons like hotbodies, or voo doo megaphones, which the service advisor tried to talk me out out of. (I'm not looking for performance, just improved looks and sound)  Anyway after I never got a call back for the quote on the pipes I wanted,  I decided to go pick it up today and do some riding.  The advisors starts talking to me about the roaring toys system and said there was an issue, and that they would install the exhaust for free.  

Apparently a dirt bike fell on my bike, hitting my tank and knocked it over.  
cursin.gif
 They have already gotten a new tank which was on the bike, and new farings which they haven't yet put on, because they are waiting for some molding that goes on the inside of the plastics.    The stock right exhaust was also scratched.  
banghead.gif
  There didn't seem to be any damage to the mirrors, brake pegs, or anything else?

My question is what would you guys do?  Should I worry about other damage?  It does seem to be a tip over.  Should I request anything.  I don't want to be an ass, but well I don't know, I just want to know what others would do?  I'm assuming they won't charge for the service.

Free exhaust sounds good. The dealer cost for a stock can is more than an aftermarket system, they know that.  They are good for telling you that it happened, I have seen it the other way before!

IF they are gonna replace everything free of charge then you cant ask for more,these things happen,and happen alot,i dropped my bike off recently to have a swingarm installed,next thing i know the tail section is going to the body shop to be patched up and repainted and i needed a new brake lever..they fixed it all good as new,just the incovienece of waiting,but it happens when you let others work on your bike.

A Couple of years ago when I bought New Bike, at the FIRST SERVICE (as in Dealer Prep) they Droped the Bike. I had simular damage and they fixed it all for free including the service. Me, I felt OK with the deal. The Bike was fixed just like new (only parts had to be changed) and I rode it for 100,000 + miles with NO PROBLEMS or complaints. And I ALWAYS got Great Service from the Dealer
beerchug.gif

I feel for you.

I'd just make sure that you have a written record of the damage (and repairs) on the invoice. If something's not right after you leave, you'll at least have a written record of what happened.

And maybe next time, wait the few hours while you have the service done. Or maybe see if another member can recommend a kid-glove shop in your area.

it sucks and i do feel for you, but as said these things do happen.
banghead.gif

but you know where your at , so as long as its fixed as good as it was shouldnt cause a problem.
plus you get an exhaust, good luck
thumb_up.gif

Yeah, written record of the incident sounds smart. Is it safe to assume all damage is cosmetic?     I have been lucky and never droped a bike.  What is the cost of stock can for the dealer?  If they cost more than the after market slipons I want, it seems resonable that they would pay for the them. As a point of clarification they want me to pay for the new aftermarket exhaust, and they would install it for free.

Back