Another Cheese Head gets a Busa :-)

Welcome I also live in Wisconsin Nashotah,we may be neighbors always looking for some one to ride with.
Yes, you mentioned that early in this thread. I just looked it up and we are about 290 miles from each other. That's around my max mileage for a day trip. Sorry, it's not going to work.

Are there bar risers or spacers or such on your bike?
That just occured to me and I went out to take a pic before your post came in. I think it does, but I wouldn't know any better.

IMG_20210923_065346.jpg

That looks like this kit to me. It does state that all cables will still reach, hrm.

View attachment 1641284

Note this warning there:

View attachment 1641285
Hmm is right. Well it's not stock and the cable doesn't reach. I'm not going to battle it, I'm going to reroute. As for the stand, the bike has a decent lean so I'll just leave it. I did do the standard kickstand mod.

Thanks. I don't know how I would get to the bottom of this w/o everyone's help! Thanks.

So now I REALLY don't trust anything. I will be checking the triple clamps and the riser. I kind of shudder thinking that I took this bike out in the rain. New tires and wet road I rode it like a Granny ... that's probably what saved me.

I think you need to change your tag name. You don't sound like a Wannabe to me. :-)

Thanks a lot! My hands are seriously stupid and I can do nothing mechanical. For that reason alone I think the name should remain in place HA HA.

So now I REALLY don't trust anything.

Something has been on my mind not knowing what was done. Did someone re-torque the fork after the down? Landing on the handle can bind up a fork.

I got the skinny on the "down". Talking to the daughter of the deceased owner, it sounds like the bike fell over during shipment. The bike didn't really go down. I appreciate your concern. Thanks for double checking. In this case it's not a problem but if it really went down it would be a legit concern!

I still think you need to change your tag name! :-)

It would still be a good idea to check the forks like @Hayabusa Wannabe said
(he has a mechanical brain...but apparently his hands don't listen to him, lol)
I would put it on stands(front fork-lift stand) loosen the tubes, make sure they are squared and not in a bind, measure their heigth in the top clamp, snug and then torque.
I would go over the bike with anti-seize, loc-tite, and a torque wrench,
Also consider that there are some Really Good dealerships out there...but most sadly are not.
So, you have no idea if the bike was assembled correctly, by someone who cared, or a hack that threw it together.
As well as if or what the original owner may or may not have done.
I have yet to buy or even see a new bike with both forks set the same(it should be the first thing checked and set, but just another thing overlooked).
Regardless, a Hayabusa is a great motorcycle, and it can handle alot of abuse.
I think once you work a few bugs out, and get up to speed on the Busa, you'll be fine, and really be able to get used to and find out first hand what an excellent, does everything well bike that you stumbled into.

Last edited:
It would still be a good idea to check the forks like @Hayabusa Wannabe said
(he has a mechanical brain...but apparently his hands don't listen to him, lol)
I would put it on stands(front fork-lift stand) loosen the tubes, make sure they are squared and not in a bind, measure their heigth in the top clamp, snug and then torque.
I would go over the bike with anti-seize, loc-tite, and a torque wrench,
Also consider that there are some Really Good dealerships out there...but most sadly are not.
So, you have no idea if the bike was assembled correctly, by someone who cared, or a hack that threw it together.
As well as if or what the original owner may or may not have done.
I have yet to buy or even see a new bike with both forks set the same(it should be the first thing checked and set, but just another thing overlooked).
Regardless, a Hayabusa is a great motorcycle, and it can handle alot of abuse.
I think once you work a few bugs out, and get up to speed on the Busa, you'll be fine, and really be able to get used to the and find out first hand what an excellent, does everything well bike that you stumbled into.
Thanks for your expert advise! I'll go over the forks entirely! I'm back to my phrase: trust no one! Even before your note, I've pushed it. Not to your standards, by my comfort zone. It's incredibly stable. I used to be able to tell how fast I was going just by the feel. Not with the Busa! I look down at the speedo and ... o-crap I need to slow down. I need a radar detector! (I'm sure there is a tread on that topic)

Thanks for your expert advise! I'll go over the forks entirely! I'm back to my phrase: trust no one! Even before your note, I've pushed it. Not to your standards, by my comfort zone. It's incredibly stable. I used to be able to tell how fast I was going just by the feel. Not with the Busa! I look down at the speedo and ... o-crap I need to slow down. I need a radar detector! (I'm sure there is a tread on that topic)
They are deceptive at speed...no twitching or anything crazy....

Make sure your suspension is set properly and you will be good to go. I have mine set a little stiff as I find it settles better when leaned over.

I can search, but is there a good thread on doing this.

Probably, I'll look and link what I can find.
You will need a rear swingarm stand, and a front forklift stand(it lifts in the center hole in the bottom of the lower triple clamp, allowing the forks to extend).
Front stands that lift under the fork legs have limited use, don't allow you to work on the forks, and aren't that stable.
Or a Bursig stand or Abba Skylift...but they are alot more pricey than regular stands.

You're welcome...but I am far from an expert...maybe expert level hooligan once upon a time, lol

Probably, I'll look and link what I can find.
You will need a rear swingarm stand, and a front forklift stand(it lifts in the center hole in the bottom of the lower triple clamp, allowing the forks to extend).
Front stands that lift under the fork legs have limited use, don't allow you to work on the forks, and aren't that stable.
Or a Bursig stand or Abba Skylift...but they are alot more pricey than regular stands.
I have both jacks. I use them for tire changing. i've tried the jacks that lifted off the fork, but didn't like the instability.

I have both jacks. I use them for tire changing. i've tried the jacks that lifted off the fork, but didn't like the instability.

Right on
Keep in mind too that if you are over 200 lbs in gear, then you need different fork springs for your weight range, otherwise you'll never get correct sag and the great handling that most don't know these bikes are capable of.
You can drag a knee on a Busa like it's on rails when it's set right for you.
If you're 150-190 lbs in gear, stock suspension can be dialed in really well as is.

Back