Anyone race an R1?

Busa is great, but a couple years back, the Liter bikes caught up with it powerwise and they weigh less
+1

modern liter bikes have the same amount of HP as the genI busa(if not more) and they weight 100lbs less. most run the 1/4 just as fast a a busa, so in a race its gonna come down to the rider. I have a friend with an 06 R6S runs 10.70/80's with just a slip on and a PC, and I've seen him beat busa's and 14's.
My friend has the R1 LE...bike is insane...few mods...Sato exhaust power commander etc....have witnessed the man walk many...prior to it had a GSXR 1000....same story...alot has to do with the rider yes....but the liter bikes are of a different breed these days

SpudleyBusa has tasted the flesh of a Yammy R1.......still got blood on my chin too !!!!
super.gif

Well I'll never be able to foot shift as fast as my air shifter with my size 15 feet...Also I am 6'6" 245 and he is 5'7" 200.  Maybe that made a small difference.
size 15 shoe
rock.gif
your doing a damn good job just getting your foot in there
laugh.gif
in that case just push the button  
race.gif
Since I also wear a 15 what you are saying is I need an air shifter also?? No wonder I can't get out of first gear.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Also wear do I find boots to fit me for the track???

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well I'll never be able to foot shift as fast as my air shifter with my size 15 feet...Also I am 6'6" 245 and he is 5'7" 200.  Maybe that made a small difference.
Yea, that's probably got a good bit to do with it. Someone once told me, (whether it's true or not I don't know, but it sounded good) on a motorcycle 7lb=1hp. Loose 7lb off the bike and it's the equivilent of gaining 1hp, or, gain 7lb and it's the equivilent of loosing 1hp. Again, not sure if this is correct, but it sounded good. And regardless of if the numbers are accurate, or even close, the relationship of power to weight is ALWAYS there. If 2 bikes with the same hp and with riders of equal abbility race, but one is heavier than the other, the lighter bike will win. So. . . Here's what you do. Find out what kind of power he's making, find out what the gear is, and compare the weight of both bikes (include the weight of the riders) and there's your answer for why it was close.

I have raced R1s many times. I don't worry much about them or anything else. I am pushing 350hp for racing if need be. I keep it down to about 300hp for cruising, so they have a better chance if they just sneek up on me.
wowold.gif
Good rider on an R! can do well though in general.

Well unfortunately I don't have the resources to get my bike up to 350hp. I would guess I have around 175 to the wheel.

im know where near 350 and like i said no problems with r1's they are decnt but no match for the busa in a straight out race tisties may be a little something diffrent.

I smoked many a busa on my 05 CBR1000RR from a roll, and my buddy with an 06 Gixxer thou would walk away from me. The Gen I busa can launch harder than any liter bike but take that advantage away and every single liter bike is faster.

Being out run at a goodly rate by a 2002 ZX-9R in a 6th gear roll on from any speed below 90 is nothing to be ashamed of . All the modern liter bikes do a much better job of same .
ThumbsUp.gif

I sold my '05 R1 to buy my '02 Hayabusa.

I've never owned a bike (in stock trim...) that would pull the tire off the pavement in 2nd gear at 120 MPH from throtte alone.

I've also done many a roll-on with semi-stock Hayabusa's.... my R1 would usually take half a bike length to get to its powerband...then walk away. (right before I sold it....I re-geared the bike so it wouldn't take as long to hit the power ---- the bike was absolutely brutal.....)

With that said....I love my new BUSA!  Best bike I've ever owned.......

In my opinion..........The R1's engine is a rubber band waiting to go pop.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

The ZX-9r had a good combination of middle end power and higher rev RPM capability.......  before the days of achieving high horsepower figures from a 16/17,000 RPM redline.

Likewise.... my favorite R1's were the 2002's and the 2003's with the longer stroke pistons.

The ZX-9's were sweet for the same reason everyone loves the BUSA......torque.

Back