Can I Handle the \'Busa??

OB_WILDCAT465

Registered
I am 34 and have never ridden a motorcycle.

I only want the best so I want a 'Busa as my first bike.

I plan to go to a riding school.

What do you guys think?

Not a good idea, my friend. Buy a second-hand non-faired bike in the 450-600cc range that you wouldn't mind dropping a few times, and learn on that first.

Oh, yes, just DO it.

Riding school? Piffle. Spend the bucks on airbox mods and aftermarket pipes.

Also, video tapes are cheaper than real riding schools. Check out "Urban Assault, the Video"
1-949-206-0654

I you have to even ask you should not even think about it. Buy a dirt bike and go have some fun. Otherwise you will end up a statistic like all the rest. If you chose to do it anyway, do you have life insurance and can I be a benificiary?

Dont listen to others who might say it is ok to start with the worlds most powerfull motorcycle. They just want to sit back watch and laugh when you crash and burn.

...the Busa is hardly the "best" motorcycle...it is mearly the fastest stocker...the last thing you should be seeking...you will only look foolish trying to cope with it, if it is your appearance you are concerned about...there are many light wight, more nimble bikes that are just as cool and more appropriate to a new rider...over at LABusas.org we have had many peolpe, myself included, post about bikes we have that we like as much or more than the Busa, in my case a Suzuki DR Z400S, a bike I would highly recomend to you, if it is not too tall for you...a dual purpose bike would be tha way to go, if your ego can handle it, and you will very likely want to keep it when you move up to a larger street bike...they can be a bit tall, however, and two things that will help you do well are a light wieght bike and the ability to easily reach the ground with your feet...both of these considerations can be metigated as you aquire skill, so being a light wieght or short legged does not mean you can never ride a tall or heavy bike...just don't start there if you wish to rapidly progress and have an enjoyable experience...you can do $1000 damage to a Busa just dropping it on it's side in your driveway, and this is easy to do, and the situation only worsens from there...I dumped a DR 650 SE three times last year, and the total repair bill was $250, and this was just to keep the bike looking well, rather than to repair function...that would make a great street bike with some dirt capability throun in, and can be lowered over 1" without shortening suspension travel...I sold it and got the DR Z400 to get a better dirt bike that could still run well on the street, but the DR 650 seemed like a better street bike, although too big to get rowdy in the dirt with...you can go just about anyplace at a moderate pace, though, and the bike seems MADE for dirt roads and bumpy country back roads...urban situations suit this type of bike very well also, as they are very light and nimble in traffic and can soak up bumps that would trash most street bike, and they are tall enuff to allow you to see and be seen as well...

...there are lots of cool light street only bikes as well, and I would check out the Suzuki SV 650 twin if you want a street only ride...It has no fairing, but is very sporty and winning lots of races at the track...it is light and cheap and works very well, and you will not look like an idiot poser who is in over his head on it...squidly types who are best avoided may poke fun, but any knowlegable rider will nod with approvel at such a selection...

Well Wildcat

YOu are now the proud owner of the fastest production bike in the world.

The ZX7 aint a slow coach either. If you get on that Busa this side of Christmas, I'll come over there and kick your ars* so Fu*king hard you won't know what hit ya.

Stick with the ZX till then, learn cornering, learn how to pull away smoothly, learn all the things that come as second nature to most of us. If you have to think about it, on both of those bikes you will come a cropper.

Take your time. Don't feel pressured by mates egging you on, ride alone, and ride lots and lots of miles.

I wish you luck. You will enjoy it.

P.S. have you taken out insurance cover??

Nuts ;)

...good luck to you! It is not impossible that you can learn to ride the Busa...it is very easy to operate, although too long and heavy for a newbe...it is very stable and forgiving at speed, but it is just way too easy to get going too fast, that is, TOO FAST, and then crash...it can also be easy to drop just moving it aroud at slow speeds...I bet you end up liking the little bike, whatever it is, and riding it more often...it will be much easier to actualy learn to ride on, and probably more fun, if not as cool...

Wildcat, I meant it when I gave my reasons for being rude. I'm not normally that forthcoming; preferring to let events take their normal course.

I'm a little over-sensitive at the moment, having seen some things on Palomar Mountain last weekend that I would prefer to forget.

Your purchase of the little Ninja at least gives me hope. You will learn more on it in a month than you would on the Busa in a year. And have a better chance of surviving.

You have no idea how difficult this transition will be.

My closest riding buddy rode Brit bikes and Harleys for 20 years and never crashed. He started riding sport bikes in 1996 and has crashed 3 times since then, despite being a careful rider. And he started off knowing how to operate a bike, which is beyond where you are now. He has done both MSF courses and a Class School at Willow Springs,has everything Keith Code has written, and all of his tapes, but has still crashed . He is an athlete, a judo expert and a former pro bowler, and is very fit.
He says he really just started learning to ride in '96 when he started with sport bikes.

He tried my Busa a month ago and said,"Maybe in a couple of years." The man is smart.

That being said, I really do wish you the very best luck in learning a difficult but rewarding sport. No offense was originally intended, but I wanted to be sure to get your attention.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 08 August 2000).]

Cave Dweller, I think you may be missing what some of us are concerned about.

The Busa makes as much torque at 2500rpm as an R-1 does at peak. You don't need to go fast to get in trouble with it. Unless Wildcat intends to go around corners dragging his feet like a complete wanker(which I doubt)his first turn with a little sand, water or oil on it and a bit of throttle in second gear could be trouble.

Not at all user friendly in that respect, especially for someone who has no past experience to fall back on.

He is going to do this, regardless of our opinions. I just don't want him to think it's easier than it is.

yeah i dont think so either. it would be like an 18 year old owning a busa!!! oh wait thats me.No even i would not recommend getting one as your first bike. i also started on something small(er). a gs1100 suzuki dragbike when i was 16. this kind of power will prob. get you hurt. it does stuff a lot of people dont expect it to do.

Hi Slow,

You're an old timer on this board and ones whose opinion I really respect. My "elitist" comment wasn't meant to attack the posters, it was just meant to give Wildcat a filter for some of the "you're an idiot" shots he was taking.

If the guys an untrained, heavy on the throttle idiot, he'll bite it on a little 500 in a sandy turn about as quick as he'll do it on a Busa.

Below 5,000 RPM the Busa is pretty tame. Under 65 mph and 3500 RPM the bike is downright boring.

I think we all are saying train, practise, and be careful. I just don't agree that a beginner can't handle a Busa as a first bike.

BTW: I think Wildcats post is probably a Troll.

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 08 August 2000).]

c_rod,

No offense dude, but your post is an example of the kind of logic I'm talking about. You imply:

"I started small(er) and worked my way UP to the best. Newbies need to start small and earn the right to ride in my ranks"

Suppose I counter with " I started riding when I was 8 (I'm now 41). I've had one crash (I drove a Honda Trail 70 straight into a chainlink fence** at 40 Mph when I was racing at 10 years old) and an otherwise squidless driving record. I had 33 years of riding experience (dirt, cruiser, sport) before I got a Busa and its still a lot of Bike. In my opinion, you should have 41 years of age, MSF & track school, 33 years riding on a variety of bike types and riding surfaces, and at least one wreck before you should consider a Busa"

Of course I don't agree with that but it does pose the question "how much experience is necessary ?". To which there can be no consensus.

I just think you need a level head and respect for the bike. There is no prerequisite small bike or age or number of years of riding that will make you safe (IMHO).

** I was looking behind me to see how far ahead I was :)

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 08 August 2000).]

CaveDweller,

I do plan to train, practice, and be careful. I've been interested in this bike for quite some time and I've known several people who are now dead from riding sportbikes. I aware of the danger.

I'm not some 18 year old with an illusion of invincibility. My decision to by the bike was based on my willingness and commitment to learn to ride responsibly, be easy on the throttle until I become proficient while working towards being a better rider. Although I agree with Slowhand in that I should approach this task with caution, I'm inclined to believe, like you, that it's possible to start with this bike.

I appreciate all of the comments (even those that are less than complementing).

I don't know who asked the question, but, yes, I have a large life insurance policy...my wife required it.

Wildcat,

During break-in the manual procedure is to keep it under 5K RPM for the first 500 mi. One of my first posts to this board was "Where is the Monster ?" because under 5K the bike was unimpressive. The response from the board was to watch out when you hit 6-7000 RPM.

At 4,500 the vibration starts, between 6 and 7000 RPM the Monster comes alive, wheels lift off the ground and the Busa screams. It is two different Bikes above and below 5K so don't let the break-in lull you !

Wildcat,

re "where the Monster hides" here is the post from Valklex on 01/02/2000 re the power double between 5500 and 9500 rpm....

"According to the stock dyno charts included with my Yosh RS3 slip-ons, at 5500 rpm you have approx 80 rwhp vs 168 peak @ 9500 rpm. It more than doubles in just 4K rpm's. Torque peak is at 7K (101 rwftlb). <clip>"

Wildcat, that's cool.

Cave Dweller, with that resume you are not only far beyond the average Busa owner in experience, but absolutely light years beyond where Wildcat is now. I remember your post calling out the Monster,8=)and that's my point. Things that are routine and boring to you can be overwhelming and terrifying to a new rider. You are probably far better than you realize, and the gulf between you and a newbie is enormous.

Wildcat's original comment about starting with "the best" was clearly not related to styling or gas mileage. He could not have said "performance" or the "fastest" more clearly. That comment from a new rider is scary.

Still, Wildcat seems to have the right attitude, and if he follows through by mostly riding the Ninja for a while, he has a good shot.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 08 August 2000).]

Experienced?

Shoot! 99% of the guys on this board are probably better than me. c_rod could probably kick my *** even on my best day :). I'm still ashamed of the fact that my rear tire lasted 6,150 miles !

posted by Wildcat465:

Thanks for the advice guys, my 'Busa is being delivered tomorrow. I went to the dealer after work yesterday just to drool a little and couldn't leave with out it. The dealer made me a great deal--$9700 out the door and threw in a Jacket w/armor and 1st service free. I couldn't pass it up. I also bought a smaller bike for practice. I'm not a total fool. I don't plan to ride it until I go to school.

This just shows that not only are you the fool you claim not to be but you are a delusional fool as well.

1. Can I be put on your life insurance policy.

2. Can you put me in your will?

3 Can I have the parts when you are done.

I would have hoped your life long friend would have taken the time to talk some sense into you. "I am just going to leave it in the garage until I am ready for it" Everyone who has been riding for a while has heard this too many times to count. It is always followed a few weeks later by, "Did you hear what happened to (Insert name here). I just feel bad for his family".

Keep in touch and let us know how the learning progresses. Please take the time to get to know some experienced mature riders in your area before you try to ride either bike.

Sorry to flame you but I have lost quite a few close friends and see all of them in your words.

Back