Concealed weapons permit in Va.

Stilslo

Registered
I was hunting around for a concealed weapons permit class and found out that if you are prior military, all you need to do is bring a copy of your dd214 to the courthouse and you don't have to take the course. I don't know if every state does this. Just thought I'd share in case anybody else is interested in a ccwp.

ur not required to comply with the firing range and or classroom requirements if within five (5) years from the date of handgun carry permit application if uve successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

I got mine back in the day when firearms and ammo were not even allowed in the classroom or anywhere close by.

You are correct, from my understanding you only have to provide proof of prior military or LEO and should not be required to take the class under normal circumstances.

Stilslo, do you ever shoot at The Range in south Stafford? I shoot there frequently.

Postal said:
Stilslo, do you ever shoot at The Range in south Stafford? I shoot there frequently.

I just went there a few weeks ago to try out my new glock. That's one of the reasons I want the permit, so I can ride my bike to the range.

I took a course in Colonial Heights, you bring your weapon and ammo then after a couple of hours you get the paper work to take to the courthouse and then you have a permit.

Most states are like this. Either your DD214 or a certificate from a recognized firearms training program will work. Initially over twenty yrs ago I used my NRA sharpshooter certificate to get mine.

Most states are like this. Either your DD214 or a certificate from a recognized firearms training program will work. Initially over twenty yrs ago I used my NRA sharpshooter certificate to get mine.

How did you get the NRA to recognize you as a sharpshooter?

How did you get the NRA to recognize you as a sharpshooter?

When I lived in Ct I used to shoot in 50ft .22 matches. Shooting a certain score on a certain target at a certain event a certain amount of times qualified you for different levels of recognition thru NRA. I was Marksman 1st class for years and right before moving here to Florida shot to the level I needed to get my sharpshooter pin and certificate.

My old hat with patches. Sharpshooter pin is in center. Nothing really worth world recognition but still it got me past the need for the class...
6c84e53f.jpg

When I got mine about 6 years ago I had to take a class and then send my app off and it took 90 days for me to get it back. I am not military neither is a friend of mine and it took him about the same amount of time and it was only about 6 months ago for him. Military might be different. Thanks for your service.

mr8ball said:
When I got mine about 6 years ago I had to take a class and then send my app off and it took 90 days for me to get it back. I am not military neither is a friend of mine and it took him about the same amount of time and it was only about 6 months ago for him. Military might be different. Thanks for your service.

I took my papers to the courthouse this afternoon. Paid the 50.00 and I was told I would receive the permit in the mail in 4-6 weeks. Running a background check I would guess.

I took my papers to the courthouse this afternoon. Paid the 50.00 and I was told I would receive the permit in the mail in 4-6 weeks. Running a background check I would guess.
That is great. The Back ground check does take some time. Glad it worked out for ya :thumbsup:

Back