Dog Question

dunno.gif

I'm an APBT guy.....American Pit Bull Terrier type.

I've had alot of different dogs though.
ANY dog is a great dog to own as long as it comes from GOOD breeding.
You have to really be careful with bigger dogs like APBT's moreso
then that terrier mix though for obvious retardation reasons and
a**holes who like to fight them and abuse them.
banghead.gif

I think you'll be fine adopting her.
I will advise you on a few things though.
#1 rule...that soooo many people ignore
umnik.gif

..buy a kennel or crate for the dog that is the size of the dog.
Reason being is because EVERY dog be it a puppy or newcomer NEEDS to be
housebroken. By keeping them in a kennel built for their exact size it
teaches them NOT to pee or poop in their kennel. The reason you don't get
one too big is because you want them to learn that if they crap in it, they
are sitting in it.....and that is how they learn. If they can move away
from it.....it's too big.

Whenever you are NOT home, that dog should be in that kennel until she is
COMPLETELY housebroken - that means not pissing or crapping in the house or
tearing anything up. Some dogs take about a year. Some way less.

Other then that, if she isn't "Fixed" by fixed I mean spayed, then you
have to also worry about her bleeding 2 times a year IIRC and dripping
blood around your house. You can buy doggie diapers for her or have her fixed.

She looks like a Rat Terrier, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, she is a cute dog...and cudos to you for adopting
thumb_up.gif

Nice looking dog. Take the entire family to check out the dog. Make sure everyone gets along. If you have other pets, make sure you introduce them before you make the commitment to adoption.

Good luck,

Steve

She looks like a Rat Terrier, but I could be mistaken.  Regardless, she is a cute dog...and cudos to you for adopting  
thumb_up.gif
I think she is too big to be rat terrier... I have a rat terrier/ beagle that doesn't even come up to my knee... I'd say some sort of Bull terrier by the thickness of her head and neck.. and her height.

All dogs are great... (except Weimaraners... they need therapy.. seperation anxiety/ ADD/ SPASTIC.... just kidding... I love my little mental case)

Good luck with her... and crate training is the way to go to house break a dog when you aren't home all day!!!

Her face looks like there was a pit bull in her ancestory. I know she's from a rescue so there may not be much history on her, but get as much as you can. Also find out what the consquences are if she doesn't work out with the family. This sounds cold, but animals have individual personalities just like people, and it's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to picking one out. Your personalities just may not be compatible and no one's at fault for that.

The biggest thing...socialize, socialize, socialize! I'd rather have a dog that follows burglers around (even holds the door for them) than one who lunges at a friend's child because she isn't used to strangers.

All dogs are great... (except Weimaraners... they need therapy.. seperation anxiety/ ADD/ SPASTIC.... just kidding... I love my little mental case)
One of my co-workers is very involved with the Weim Rescue in our area. She swears by the breed, but does acknowledge that there are definitely emotional instabilities in most of the.

I would also say some type of pit blood...and may another mixed dog as well.

Crates are good..I use one for my boxer.

Even though they say she is broken.. as new place could change that.

Good luck.
beerchug.gif

I'm an APBT guy.....American Pit Bull Terrier type.

I've had alot of different dogs though.
ANY dog is a great dog to own as long as it comes from GOOD breeding.
You have to really be careful with bigger dogs like APBT's moreso
then that terrier mix though for obvious retardation reasons and
a**holes who like to fight them and abuse them.  
banghead.gif

I think you'll be fine adopting her.
I will advise you on a few things though.
#1 rule...that soooo many people ignore  
umnik.gif

..buy a kennel or crate for the dog that is the size of the dog.
Reason being is because EVERY dog be it a puppy or newcomer NEEDS to be
housebroken. By keeping them in a kennel built for their exact size it
teaches them NOT to pee or poop in their kennel. The reason you don't get
one too big is because you want them to learn that if they crap in it, they
are sitting in it.....and that is how they learn. If they can move away
from it.....it's too big.

Whenever you are NOT home, that dog should be in that kennel until she is
COMPLETELY housebroken - that means not pissing or crapping in the house or
tearing anything up. Some dogs take about a year. Some way less.

Other then that, if she isn't "Fixed" by fixed I mean spayed, then you
have to also worry about her bleeding 2 times a year IIRC and dripping
blood around your house. You can buy doggie diapers for her or have her fixed.
thumb_up.gif
Thanks for the info guys! I crate trained our last dog (lab/shepard) and it worked like magic. My wife always complained about the smell in the crate though. I cleaned that thing with hot water and bleach every other day. It was one of those enclosed plastic crates that can be used on the airlines. Are the wire crates better?

PS, what part of Chicago are you in? I am about 60 miles south of Chicago in Kankakee county.

The wire crates is what I use. Put in a nice soft blankey and she loves it and you can remove the bottom part to wash off and wash the blanket. Our Boxer is outside during the day and at night I open the back door and she goes right into the crate.

I did not notice if the one you are looking at is full gorwn or not. The wire crate I got had a divider to make it smaller while they were pups and I removed it later...for reasons described above.

The wire crates is what I use.  Put in a nice soft blankey and she loves it and you can remove the bottom part to wash off and wash the blanket.  Our Boxer is outside during the day and at night I open the back door and she goes right into the crate.  

I did not notice if the one you are looking at is full gorwn or not.  The wire crate I got had a divider to make it smaller while they were pups and I removed it later...for reasons described above.
They say that she is full grown, fixed and house trained.  She comes with 30 days of pre-paid health insurance and micro chipped.  I just worry about getting a dog that is going to tear up the house and my wife attempting to kill me or the dog.

Animal: Dog
Breed: Terrier[Mix]
Sex: Female
Size: Large
ID: 4647755

This pet is already house trained.
This pet has been altered.

HOUSEBROKEN AND TRAINED THIS GIRL IS READY FOR A NEW HOME, SHE IS GOOD WITH KIDS AND CATS. SHE LOVES TO PLAY WITH STUFFED TOYS, SHE IS A WONDERFUL DOG.

Is going to be an active dog. They are playful and smart. If you lucky you will get one that is a bit of a "wise ars". They the most fun to play with. Being a small dog she might not like going on grass to go pee if the grass is to high. Making greater risk for her wanting to go inside rather then outside.

Can pee a little when excited also. Is common for a dog to do this though. Good family dog,but usually get more attached to one person. but it really depends on how it was raised. Bringing your youngest kid(if any) with you will give you a feel how the dog is going to react with them. I'ts always the smaller ones that seem to spook animals more where the animal will react back. Rather then adults who just flat out scare the animal making it more docile.

Back