Fine tuning your clutch for hard launches.

OB_Big Ed

Registered
(this is also posted at LABUSAS)

A few months ago some one started a thread complaining about the Busa clutch throw. As we all know the clutch engages very late in the throw, just the last inch our so. Even with the schnitz mod it can still be a little tricky to launch hard. I stumbled upon the fix for this by accident. After having the PFM brakes put on the bike I realized the stock master cylender wasn’t going to cut it. Kawabuser got me a Brembo for the brakes and just to make it match he got me one for the clutch. The results are really great. The brakes are unbelievable. But the big surprise was the clutch. Now it starts to engage very soon in the throw and releases so smoothly. The pull on the clutch is even softer than it was before the schnitz but it doesn’t feel mushy, just smooth. My Busa is in the shop getting the fuel system flushed (again) but as soon as it is out I will post some Pics.

Ed: I thought of doing something similar, using a smaller piston master cylinder. Any idea what the diameter of piston is, compared to OEM Busa ? I also have a creation of my own. I use 8 thick fibers, instead of the original 2 thick, 8 thin, with springs shimmed .060". Currently have Barnett plates, originally for an 83 GPZ 750 Kaw.

Brembo clutch is a 16mm piston and the brake a 20mm piston. The OEM Nissin masters are 5/8" piston.

These parts should be good they are GP quality products. Differant lever feel can be had with the variety of pivot point centers Brembo offers (basic leverage physics).

The PFM Superbike conversions are nothing less than awsome, what good is a fast bike that can't stop?

Brakes are a safety issue and you can never be safe enough on the street.....

Back