Gen II Cold Start issues

HooDude

Registered
Hi guys,

I did a search but most of what I found pertained to hot start problems and cold start issues on the gen I. My 2008 busa has always started very well with minimal effort, even when it was cold outside (0C, 32F). However this year i've been having trouble with it starting for me, with it turning over several times before catching, and sometimes only idling for a few seconds before dying. After a few tries it will stay running, and when warmed up it doesn't have any issues. I checked the battery and it was at 12.36 volts or something like that, but it is the stock battery the bike came with. I also didn't charge the battery last winter, and have only ridden the bike a handful of times this year--maybe less than 100km in total. I replaced the air filter and spark plugs, but this hasn't made any difference. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or knows what to do?

My current plan of action is to run fuel injector cleaner through the bike and then if that doesn't help i'll look into cleaning/replacing the fuel filter. I thought initially it could be a battery problem, but it's odd that the bike will start but then won't stay running--making me think it isn't a battery issue.

The bike is a 2008, has 14,600 kms on it, last couple years it hasn't seen a lot of mileage.

THanks

im betting battery is getting weak......its a little old

I agree, I would start with the battery first. It could have good voltage but lack the cranking amps. I had issues with several batteries with my Gen I, acted the very same way.

Battery issue. I always kept a bat tender on mine pretty much all the time. After 5 years it was still starting like a new one when I sold it.

When I put a battery charger on my battery it refuses to charge, saying it is full. It seem like it's not so much a problem of firing, rather it's trouble staying running for the fist 10 seconds or so once it catches. Would that still make you guys think its a battery issue?

yes still try batt...cheap and easy fix at the very least....voltage is not amps if its not got enough amps it wont fire plugs hot enough thus wont stay running.

After it starts are you revving the motor? When I first got my bike I would rev it a little while it was cold. That caused me the same issue. Let the ecu control it until it idles back down a little then you are good to go. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Back